Highs & Lows Of 2008

Highs

Being in good enough health to make another Cheltenham Festival.
Having the Inca back
Kimberlite King winning last weekend.....the pressure was immense and it was only a maiden hurdle
Irish horses continue to perform at the heighest level whether on the flat or over jumps
Acquiring a new recruit.......it's like a new child being born....you have all these hopes and expectations (which I'm sure Grey will remind me of from time to time!!)

Lows
Kimberlite King's injury saga
Kelly the dog passing away in Colm's yard
The Irish economy going pear shaped and its effect on horse racing from a sponsorship, gov funding, breeding and sales perspective. The Celtic Tiger died suddenly from a overdose of enthusiasm and wrecklessness.
And of course.....not winning that Scoop 6!!

Highs:

Ravens Pass V. Henry
New Approach
Yeats
Zarkava
Septimus

Lows:

The weather ruined a lot of racing in Ireland including the Irish Champion Stakes.

Big Brown's failure to win a Triple Crown against a poor crop of three year olds.

The tactics used by AOB in the 2008 Melbourne Cup.

With so many good horses retired it should be weak division next year for the older horses.

Highs

Binoculars performance last weekend and the potential of whats to come. Him over hurdles and Master Minded over fences are the 2 most exciting horses for me in '09. Can't wait. From a punting point of view Celestial Halo will always have a place in my heart after winning the Triumph! Best punt i've ever had. Yeats' 3rd Gold Cup was another spine tingling experience.

Low was Kauto Star never travelling a yard in the gold cup. Lost a chunk of the money from Celstial Halo (being the race previous. Thought i was buying money!)

Back