Holidays 2014

trefflich

Rookie
Looking to book somthing for the summer while flights are cheap. Was thinking of Basque country. Fly into Bordeaux and make our way down to San Sebastian and stop along the way. Has anyone been and woudl you recommend it? Going for 10 days or so.

Other option is Lake Garda and 2/3 days in Milan. Obviously more expensive but would be interested to hear anyones opinions/experiences of both?

Milan warrants 1 day at most. Nothing wrong with the place but very short on sights

It's one of those cities that you expect there to be a lot more of than there actually is. Not particular green and whilst not ugly not pretty either. Cathedral is special though

Last edited:
Looking to book somthing for the summer while flights are cheap. Was thinking of Basque country. Fly into Bordeaux and make our way down to San Sebastian and stop along the way. Has anyone been and woudl you recommend it? Going for 10 days or so.

Other option is Lake Garda and 2/3 days in Milan. Obviously more expensive but would be interested to hear anyones opinions/experiences of both?

NW Spain can be oppressively humid in July. Not guaranteed sunshine either. Or maybe I was just really unlucky.

If your stomach lining is made of leather, cider becomes more of a speciality the further west you travel towards Galicia.

Last edited:
It's always subject to personal tastes but I found Garda brilliant. Love Italy and the Italian hospitality.
We drove and perchance hit upon a hotel in Sirmione. To get to the hotel we had to drive through the castle that protects the little peninsula that is the town. Rooms were sparse and no more than adequate but location, service, food and swimming pool superb. Best bit is that within 500m there were dozens of restaurants from simple pizza joints to 5 star mortgage class. Beautiful little town. We chilled out for 4/5 days and then began to explore.
I have often been in Milan for short periods when at work and would endorse Clive's comment. But still a city to see, perhaps 2 days. From Sirmione one can explore the Lake or even train/bus to Venice.

I did Basque region when I was about 7 so can't really remember much about it apart from the fact most of the locals had never seen such a blonde child and I got somewhat mauled! From what little I can remember it was very picturesque!

Love Italy - have been to Milan with a runner and bar the Cathedral, the rest wasn't over-enthralling. But anywhere else - Tuscany or Umbria more so, certainly gets my vote. I took my mum to Italy 2 years ago and drove from Florence to Rome. If I went back I would spend longer in Umbria - far less touristy. Planned entire trip using Trivago & TripAdvisor and we stayed in some excellent places at very reasonable places. And I picked 2 restaurants based on Tripadvisor reviews that were incredible.

I did Basque region when I was about 7 so can't really remember much about it apart from the fact most of the locals had never seen such a blonde child and I got somewhat mauled! From what little I can remember it was very picturesque!

Love Italy - have been to Milan with a runner and bar the Cathedral, the rest wasn't over-enthralling. But anywhere else - Tuscany or Umbria more so, certainly gets my vote. I took my mum to Italy 2 years ago and drove from Florence to Rome. If I went back I would spend longer in Umbria - far less touristy. Planned entire trip using Trivago & TripAdvisor and we stayed in some excellent places at very reasonable places. And I picked 2 restaurants based on Tripadvisor reviews that were incredible.

Nice post Jinny

Hi Jinny,
From your experience, would you say that a lack of command of the Italian language substantially diminishes the enjoyment of such a trip, or does the inability to speak or understand Italian make any difference?
I am seriously considering such a driving holiday this year, but wondering if I could get by without lingo ability.
Thanks.

Icebreaker, although your question is addressed to Jinny, I would confidently say that language is not a barrier in any way.
My own experience of Italy, hitching, camping with young kids, touring in the mountains, cities, countryside and along the coast is that almost without exception most people speak at least some English and many speak excellent English. There is no hang up as there occasionally can be in France.
It is a country that relies heavily on tourism and generally the nature of Italians is well suited to fulfilling the role of hosts.
It is well worth getting a basic phrasebook as politeness is more than reciprocated- as it is most places.
I would recommend not taking a car into the big cities as Italian driving can be aggressive and intolerant. Public transport is pretty good and safe.

Last edited:
Either option is good, Trefflich, I've done something similar to what you have in mind in both places.

If you fly to say Bordeaux you could go down towards Biarritz and St Jean de Luz, enjoy a day or two at the sea and then swing inland and go over the Pyrenees at one of the quieter crossing points. From there you could meander your way on the Spanish side towards San Sebastian. Both the French and Spanish sides of the mountains are great, and the contrast is amazing. There's a big change in the vegetation and scenery, and the French villages are asleep by the time the Spanish ones are waking up.

Regarding Lake Garda, Sirmione is certainly a nice place to stay, I'd agree with everything Tout Seul says about it. I'd also agree there are better places you can go than Milan, there are literally dozens of beautiful towns and villages you can visit in any part of Italy.

Hi Jinny,
From your experience, would you say that a lack of command of the Italian language substantially diminishes the enjoyment of such a trip, or does the inability to speak or understand Italian make any difference?
I am seriously considering such a driving holiday this year, but wondering if I could get by without lingo ability.
Thanks.

I have no Italian at all but took a small phrase book and even just saying Good Morning and thank you goes a long way. The Italians can seem to shrug a bit but its just their way - doesn't meant to say they are arrogant! We even stayed at one lovely country house hotel where the lady spoke no English but it really wasn't a problem - she was used to communicating in her own way! http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...y_House-Trevi_Province_of_Perugia_Umbria.html

We hired a Smart car - which so long as you have small amount of luggage was brilliant. Incredibly economical and so long as you don't look behind, you imagine you are driving a normal size car. But if you do hire a car, pretty much most of the towns and cities have a "no-go" zone for which you get fined heavily for entering (think its called ZDT zone or something) - so we just flew to Pisa, took train to Florence then drove slowly down to Rome via Umbria staying overnight at the above hotel.

Feel free to ask if you want any more advice - we had one of the best holidays I have had - simply by doing plenty of homework - and it didn't cost a huge amount either - above hotel was most expensive at 80 euros but the others were 35-55 euros per night for a twin room.

Cheers T.S. and Jinny. Thank you both for that.
I'm much more reassured by your comments.

I was a bit hesitant following my experiences in France a few years ago, where I found the natives very dismissive and intolerant towards anyone who could not communicate in the French tongue.

San Sebastián is the most beautiful city in Spain,
And there is not a better place in the world to eat, restaurants are simple impressive.

Thanks for all the replies lads...we're thinking Basque Country this year. Lake Garda something to look forward to. Again, appreciate the responses and advice.

I am heading to Rome this month (surprise trip for my birthday from my wife!) can anyone recommend a particular activity to go/see? we have the obvious covered, Colloseum, Vatican & Sistine Chapel. I have also ordered a guide from Lonely Planet.

Just wondered if anyone has been and there are some gems which don't get the coverage they deserve?....

I am heading to Rome this month (surprise trip for my birthday from my wife!) can anyone recommend a particular activity to go/see? we have the obvious covered, Colloseum, Vatican & Sistine Chapel. I have also ordered a guide from Lonely Planet.

Just wondered if anyone has been and there are some gems which don't get the coverage they deserve?....

I know there used to be great events in the colloseum at one stage, battles and the like, seen it on a documentary with Russell Crowe. Dont know if its seasonal or not...

Last edited:

Villa Borghese - the room with the Caravaggios is possibly the greatest room in the world. Situated in a lovely park too. You need to book ahead but crowds not an issue once you are in.

I loved the Palazzo Barberini. Really quiet, but very high quality paintings, again, the Caravaggio (and Baglione to be fair) works are incredible.

Go from church to church looking at paintings, especially the Caravaggios.

Piazza Navone may be touristy but is very beautiful. Campo dei fiori nearby great too.

Colisseum and Pantheon are nice.

I would personally avoid the Vatican and Sistine Chapel due to crowds. What I have listed has in terms of art similar if not better quality but you won't lose half your day queuing with 1000s of others.

Eat a lot of pizza.

Last edited:
Yes there are some churches with carravagios on show. There was a walking tour i went on. That is worth looking up. He will never be a favourite painter of mine but simply seeing these works in that environment is special

I hated the vatican area. Cold monolithic place. Sistine chapel is impossible to enjoy properly. Then again italianite art is not an enthusiasm of mine. take or leave

would suggest the Roman Forum. Look it up

Last edited:
I have just one language tip for travelling in Italy, Treff.

"Pompelmo" means "grapefruit" and "Pompino" means "blow-job".

Trust me - you don't want to get this wrong when ordering breakfast.

Last edited:
I haven't been to Rome in a long while (a dozen years maybe), but would broadly echo Hamm and clivex's recommendations.

Photos by the Trevi Fountain are a must-do; if only to tick one off the movie-scene list, and to marvel at how hideously hemmed-in it is (unless, in the intervening years, they bull-dozed the litany of ice-cream parlours, tatt/gift-shops and snouterias that used to border it).

A wash of the hands in the fountain at the foot of the Spanish Steps will reputedly bring you good-luck (though apparently only if you're fu*cking Spanish, if my experience is anything to go by) and Byron's gaff is close by too.

I agree somewhat with the comments about the Vatican Museum....unless you're a huge fan of tapestries and frescos, in which case it should be on your list. There are undoubtedly some greats works on display, but it has a rather dry - dare I say even chintzy feel - and even the Sistine Chapel managed to underwhelm me to a degree. The Louvre would knock it into a cocked-hat, by way of comparison.

St Peters is stunning yet somehow left me feeling cold too.....as if I'd inconsciously moved a step closer to the Reaper. Maybe that's the intention? Either way, the chapel (it is a chapel, right?) is probably worth a view. And you can wander down through the Square to Castel SanAngelo, and take a walk down the river until you get to the back-side of the Forum.

Stop me if this starts sounding like a Dan Brown novel.

Anyway, it's a nice walk (and a nice route to reach the Forum/Colloseum).

Last edited:
Just back from Rome. Did most of the main sites, the most impressive of all for me was the Pantheon - amazing to think how old the dome is and it's still in amazing condition. The Roman Forum and Palatine hill were also high on the list.

I was a bit underwhelmed by St. Peter's actually - we had to run through it quickly as they were closing. St. Giovanni in Laterno is the cathedral in Rome - I found it to be much more impressive to be honest.

I have just one language tip for travelling in Italy, Treff.

"Pompelmo" means "grapefruit" and "Pompino" means "blow-job".

Trust me - you don't want to get this wrong when ordering breakfast.

The attached picture reiterates the confusion that can be caused. Although it turned out to be a very cheap "grapefruit".

Attachments

• Tim Rice.jpg
    Tim Rice.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 28
Good restaurants across the river in Trastevere - it's where the locals eat rather than tourists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back