Hope No-ones Intending To Fly This Week....

Shadow Leader

At the Start
Heathrow has been pretty much shut down, many flights cancelled and chaos is rife in many airports. Getting on a plane in the near future is going to be a nightmare - at the moment no hand luggage allowed, only medicines and passports allowed to be taken into the cabin. Oh, joy....

Taken from the BBC

Travel chaos grips UK's airports

Passengers are being asked to be patient when facing delays

BAA advice
Heathrow Airport has been closed to all incoming flights that are not already in the air, following a police anti-terror operation.
Stringent security measures have been put in place at airports across the UK and passengers face severe delays.

German carrier Lufthansa, Spanish airline Iberia and Olympic have all cancelled flights to the UK.

And BAA has urged passengers planning to fly out of Heathrow to postpone plans unless the journey is essential.

It has said that all incoming short-haul flights to Heathrow had been cancelled for the time being.

Air France said it had cancelled five flights from Heathrow to Paris.

BBC News website's Krishan Ramakrishnan at Heathrow said travellers at the airport were not as worried by the security operation as by the inconvenience of just taking passports and medicines on the plane.

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports

Courteney Dane, who is travelling back to Australia, said: "I'm worried about the cost and the fact I've got a 24 hour flight with nothing to read. I'm not really worried about the security, it's just a nuisance."

Our reporter said there was a massive queue to get into the Terminal Four building.

He said many travellers were working out ways to travel to Europe by alternative methods, such as Eurostar.

He also described Terminal Three as a "sea of people", as a huge queue built to get in to the departure lounge.

Charlotte Demant, a make up artist, has been in Ghana for two weeks and was on her way home to Denmark.

She said: "I can understand why they are worried about security but the airline has not been helpful.

"We should have at least been given something to eat and drink and money to phone home. I'm going to end up spending the night here in the cold airport."

Scotland's airports are busy but passengers are still being advised to turn up even though there may be long queues for check-in.

There were extra security checks at Glasgow airport and Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Prestwick and Dundee were experiencing delays.

At a glance: disruption
West Midlands disruption
Bristol airport delays
Disruption in Yorkshire

Manchester Airport has said there are delays on all flights of between one and three hours.

The only flights from the airport cancelled were those BMI and BA flights destined for Heathrow.

Stansted airport is open, with flights arriving and departing but passengers are experiencing waits of up to three hours to get through checks.

Extra police have been drafted in to many UK airports.

At Gatwick, airport worker Warren Tarling said he had never seen the airport so busy.

"There's thousands upon thousands of people. All flights out of the airport have been delayed," he said.

"Most people have been polite but some have been angry. Generally people have been understanding because of the nature of the problem."

Donald Morrison, a spokesman for BAA at Glasgow Airport, said there would be delays at security for all passengers.

"We are bringing in additional security staff as we speak and we are hoping that passengers will be able to pass through security safely and swiftly but we would advise passengers to give themselves extra time when they come to the airport."

Transport Secretary Douglas Alexander said all airports and airlines operating into and out of the UK would be on a heightened state of security.

"Maximum security unfortunately will involve immediate and severe disruptions for passengers with significant delays likely at all UK airports," he said.

"What these changes mean in practice is that all hand baggage will now have to be checked in with only a small number of essential items allowed through search controls.

"Exceptions will be in place for those travelling with infants and for prescription medicines."

Passengers are being asked to check in most items of baggage, apart from wallets and purses, identity and travel documents, prescription medicines, spectacles and sunglasses and keys.

Those travelling with children will be allowed items essential for caring for them on the flight.

Passengers wanting detailed information are being advised to contact the airline they were due to travel with. Information would also be available on the Home Office, the Department for Transport and Foreign Office websites.

Glasses are allowed as are contact lenses but not lens solution. Baby milk is being tested before you are allowed to take it on as hand luggage!! This is pretty drastic stuff. my parents fly back from Cyprus on Sunday. Hope it is sorted by then.

Damn - that's my plot to put the nitro in the baby milk foiled, then! :angry:

Looks like a really big sting - 20 arrests so far and more to come. Let's hope they don't all turn out to be for multiple parking ticket violations.

The BBC initially said all flights in and out of Gatwick before later clarifying that it was specifically Easyjet flights.

Flying in and out of the UK is going to be a nightmare for the foreseeable future.

BA's official statement on it :

Passengers who do decide to travel from any UK airport, may only take through the airport security search point, the following items:

Travel documents essential for the journey (eg passports, tickets and visas)
Pocket sized wallets and pocked sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards). Handbags are not permitted.
Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.
Contact lenses, without bottles of solution
For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight.
Keys (but no electrical key fobs).
Every other item must be carried in customer’s hold luggage.

For clarity, passengers are advised that no electrical or battery powered items including laptops, mobile phones, ipods, remote controls etc can be carried in the cabin and must be checked in as hold baggage.

Naturally, I'm due to be sat on a plane this time next week. Selfishly I hope things have settled down by then but I'm sure that it will still be a nightmare with strict security regulations.

It's not that bad, really. Most airports have at some time or another imposed restrictions of convenience on passengers following atrocities, whether it's Europe, Asia, the Middle East or the Far East. When the atrocities involved aircraft (such as the Indian in-flight bomb or Lockerbie) then the restrictions get harsher. In the end, though, you can be pretty sure you're not sitting next to tomorrow's headliner.

Not very often I have praise for the rail industry but anyone flying from London to Manchester today can get the train for free with Virgin. Good for them.

I know this comment will anger many.

Just stop all Pakistani/Indian (yes that background) people and check them, the people plotting this are all of that nature.

We are not looking for middle aged English people flying to Benidorm.

I'm sick and tired of this. Start stopping the people from the background these bad people are from and they might try take an interest in who is doing what in there communities and root out the evil, but no doubt they will blame the government.

It really angers me that British/Pakistani's are rumoured to behind this, they should send them back with their families to enjoy what their country has to offer, they might learn that life in the West isn't so bad!

It goes back to the days at school when a certain boy had done something wrong, we all got in the sh#t, we all had to suffer and had to sort it out between ourselves, we all had to suffer for someone's nonsense, we soon sorted out who had done what.

I know people will say you can't make all people of that background suffer, yes you can, they will soon sort it out between themselves.

I don't care what is PC to say, PC gets in the way of common sense.

And you really think that stopping and searching all Pakistani and Indian people (what about Sri Lankas? Bangladeshis?) is common sense? Give me a break. That is a disgraceful and naive comment.

Uh, so what's your take on the Unabomber or Tim McVey, sweetie? Fortunately, common sense also gets in the way of lynch mobs and a return of Fascism.

And white Britons who have converted to Islam? People with sun tans just in case? What about Christian Pakistanis? Are they exempt? How can you tell? Unworkable, fascist and ridiculous.

What has Tim McVey to do with this?

If the FBI had done a little more work Mr McVey and his chums wouldn't of gotten away with what he did.

Like i said, I'm angry and sick of it.

I really don't care.

By the way, Richard Read, known as the "shoe bomber" had a Jamaican father and an English mother. So that's all West Indians as well. And as our police and immigration officials have difficulty in telling the difference between West Indians and Africans they'll have to deal with the africans in the same way.

And I suppose that Brazilians will get roped in too - there is a precedent...

Oh yes and should we ever get on a bus or a train again, Craig? There may be "one of dem immigrants" on there with (shock horror) a backpack. Who knows what there may be in there. Sandwiches or anything. Kick him off and make him walk eh? If not, just arrest him for not being in the BNP...

Originally posted by BrianH@Aug 10 2006, 10:14 AM
Is this the same Craig UK who once accused the residents of Surrey of all being racist?
Did I really say that?

I'm now racist because I say stop people that fit the profile.

PC brigade out in force now.

I'm off to join the BNP.

You mean you're not already a member? There is a difference between political correctness and racism. If there are terrorists, arrest them and throw away the key, I care not for the colour of their skin, black, white, purple it doesn't matter. If, however, there are people who happen to have dark skin at Heathrow, please explain why we should arrest them without proof. That is racism.

Originally posted by Craig_uk@Aug 10 2006, 12:19 PM
I'm now racist because I say stop people that fit the profile.

That's the problem - your version of the profile is way, way too narrow. you have been erroneously selective.

Originally posted by PDJ@Aug 10 2006, 10:22 AM
You mean you're not already a member? There is a difference between political correctness and racism. If there are terrorists, arrest them and throw away the key, I care not for the colour of their skin, black, white, purple it doesn't matter. If, however, there are people who happen to have dark skin at Heathrow, please explain why we should arrest them without proof. That is racism.
I didn't say arrest them did I?

Just check them, I'm sure 99.99% have nothing to hide so why should they worry.

If they were after tall, white, stupid Mancunian people then I'd happily say check away officer if it made people feel easy and caused less disruption, but of course we can't do that with people that fit the terrorists profiles as it would cause uproar.

Why check the old grannies?

Back