Horsey Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDJ

On a break
Is there a law requiring riders to clean up the enormous turds horses leave behind? If not, should there be?

Do you get many horses leaving large deposits on the streets of Birmingham, or are you just being provocative ?

Um, of course not and of course not.

Horse dung is different to dog/cat mess - it has no meat derivatives or similar in it, it is basically reformed grass with maybe some oats and cereal in it. As such it is entirely harmless stuff, doesn't smell offensive and more importantly doesn't spread any disease or illness. Indeed in most places you will spot people scooping it up with a shovel to put on their garden as it is an extremely effective fertiliser. Although I realise you're probably not aware of that - or that many garden centres and other places sell horse manure to gardeners for that very same purpose.

There are 3 which appear regularly in my road and leave massive dumps there. Why would I just be provocative? I gave them a bollocking last time for leaving it on the island where kids play but they just ignored me. I thought it was very selfish.

Out of interest, why on earth would you bollock them for leaving it "where children play"? Would you bollock a farmer for not clearing a field/commonland which had footpaths running through it of cow or sheep manure? Would you not allow a child to go into a wood/meadow/common/field/moor where sheep/goat/rabbit droppings existed for fear of their health or that some other harm would come to them?

Horse manure is entirely organic and containig none of the amino acids that are needed to break down meat and proteins down hence why it is harmless and non-offensive.

Don't be daft - it isn't offensive in the slightest when compared to dog, cat or even human excrement, in terms of odour or the harm it can do to anyone. If anything you should be more worried about cat mess being left everywhere.

There are round about 10 young children who all play on a grass island about 5 metres in diameter and the horses left crap all over a part of it. This is a very different situation than it happening on farmers' land - this is not part of anyone else's land. Not generally getting human excrement on the island, I can't comment on the dangers that might cause to the children but the horsey stuff stank.

For starters I'd say it was closer to 10 metres in diameter but there you go.

My point though Paul, is what possible danger does it pose to the children? Why would it be any different to sheep/goat/cow/horse droppings being left on moorland or public footpaths through fields, for example?

And more to the point, why on earth would it be illegal to allow a horse to leave its droppings behind without being cleared up? Would it not make more sense to make it illegal to allow an owner to allow their cat to stale in public since cat excrement, being full of amino acids and broken down meat/protein matter and thus possibly a real health hazard rather than a wholly imagined one?

It really doesn't stink either - you are making this a storm in a teacup or attempting to be provocative, as Cricketfan says. Try escaping the city limits once in a while! :laughing:

Cats tend to bury their faeces, whilst dogs don't and dog-owners can be prosecuted for not clearing up after them.

Never thought about a horse's, though.

Do they though? I see plenty of cat excrement that isn't buried, they don't all do it.

My dog tends to kick dirt over the patch she's weed over - you ought to see her scraping the turf when she's done more than that! She's pretty good though - she always used to (and still does on occasion) jump over the fence into the field full of cows behind & go there instead of the garden!

I can't be sure, I always assume when I see crap on the street it's down to a dog.

Ah, but that tends to be different - dogs generally will go whereever they are at the time they need to whereas cats will go to some extent to hide it, whether is't hidden in a vegetable patch under some leaves or similar.

As for dog crap on the street - that's almost solely down to irresponsible owners who don't clear up after their pooch.

I can see that maybe at that precise moment it might be a bind, but geez having had my kids come through the back door or car with dog doodle and cat sh1t on the feet I disagree. I have had cat for years and yes even with huskies but we had trays and a patch in the garden and hey they used it. I would love another cat but must admit its more work than anything and cant be arsed now. (Anybody got a Simamese on the go tho I'd be willing, really miss my sham, she used the loo, no kiding.). (Didnt say all that hubby would kill me) Horse, cow,any animal that eats veg pooh washes off easy and smells less. Anybody with the scientific bit can takeover .. (Shampoos not included)

You think that horse excrement is wholly not harmful? Don't get me started on dog owners who don't clean up. Selfish tossers.

And I would have gone and measured the island but it is covered with horse crap.....

I've noticed that if any horse dumps in the paddock at a race meeting, it's always picked up pdq. I wonder whose roses it's put on?

Isnt it mostly the tiny toxacara risk that made the rules change with regard to picking up after your dog?? If so,you forgot urban foxes who dont get wormed and eat the crap from rubbish bins that crap everywhere - that never gets picked up - and dog owners get the blame.Most dog people are responsible - and I wholeheartedy approve of anyone having words with any owner you see not clearing up after the dog they are with.

As for horses - there are a couple of countries where the horses have to wear nappy typw things so they dont crap on the streets, but I dont think they are about to become the norm. Id be very suprised if the horses Pee is talking about should be riding on the island in the first place - you arent supposed to ride on the pavements (if my memory serves me correctly) but theres nothing to say about clearing up the crap.

Poo doesnt smell too bad in teh grand scheme of animal waste - it depends on what the horses are fed - a change in diet changes the smell, adn also,if the horse is ill or on certain antibiotics it can STINK!!

I remember a programme ages ago called Mr. Big (starred Peter Jones who did the voice over in the original Hitch Hikers ...). In one episode he decided to stand for parliament because of all the fiddles MP's get. His manifesto was, in order to do away with dog dirt he would have all dogs chopped up and used as cat food. In a TV interview he went on to say "and I hope the cats enjoy it because they'll be the next to go".

VOTE BIG

There should be consistency, crap is crap so owners who allow controlled pets to defecate in public should have to clean it up

:eek: I think a few human‘s...... people who excrete (######) down lanes-gulleys here in the Bronx needs it rubbed in their faces...........

And don't tell me its canine shitters as I have never ever seen a dog wipe its own (I know their clever but not that clever??) arse as is evident here with the Sun or Mirror being used for what it's printed for......... :P :laughing: :laughing:

But agree it's one of my PET (excuse the pun )hates to accidently walk through dogs shite, and walk it in the house..

And Cats that throw up in my garden a worse smell and mess than the dogs shite especially when my granddaughters come and want to play in the back garden.......

Are you saying that all riders should clear up horse mess everywhere they go? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds??! :laughing:

Besides, horses aren't pets, they are bloodstock.

Yes Paul, I am saying that horse manure is wholly unharmful to humans.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jul 22 2007, 12:16 PM
Are you saying that all riders should clear up horse mess everywhere they go? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds??! :laughing:

Besides, horses aren't pets, they are bloodstock.

Yes Paul, I am saying that horse manure is wholly unharmful to humans.
define pet

I would say that any animal kept by a person is a pet, unless it is for farming purposes, if you own one horse it is a pet
Why is is ridiculous to ask horse riders to clear up after themselves?

A domestic pet ends to be, (although isn't always) one which lives in the house or home or its perimeter. Horses are kept in separate places, called stableyards or farms generally.

I can't believe you're even asking why it is ridiculous for riders to clear up after themselves! Ok then, answer me a few questions then. Firstly what is a rider to do with all the manure they collect on a ride? Make a vain attempt to tie a sack onto their back?? When they dismount every 5 minutes to clear up some droppings what do they do with the horse? Bang on the nearest house door & ask someone to hold their horse while they untie the shovel that is strapped to their back and clear it up?? What if they can't get back on again? Should they then lead the horse back on foot, carrying the shovel & sackful of manure??

Now, can you see why such a comment is ridiculous?? Townfolk!!!! :laughing:

Here you go - on googling, the first definition of a pet came up as "a domesticated animal kept for companionship or amusement". Horses are hardly domesticated in the way a cat or dog is and I think you'll find that the law considers them as bloodstock or livestock rather than domesticated pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back