How are you all doing?

Vautour, faugheen, quevega,in multiples with briar hill and bobsworth , on the fringe. Champagne fever and our conor losers for me. Hoping those 3 win to give me a decent return. Got some tasty prices to finish with a bang. Prince Seigfried, in AB nov. Hdle and Ruacana will do me nicely.

Bookmakers are winning. Stop counting the profits or costs of the the first three days and concentrate on tomorrow.

We could see 2/1 Briar Hill tomorrow.

Last edited:
Today very good (including England in the Cricket) but a little lucky with a speculative bet in the last.

First day level, second day good but could have been up fortunes - had two 30+/1 e/w doubles on Faugheen and Smad Place.

Decided to leave tomorrow as luck won't last and apart from opposing Briar Hill with next two each way, don't fancy anything. Have some time off so decided to escape to South of France on a £40 flight instead of throwing money away on horses I don't have an opinion on. That, the sunshine and the French women!

Loss on day 1

Small profit on day 2 despite having Faugheen and backing O'Faolains boy ante post in January to small stakes at 20-1 before it flopped at Haydock.

Wasn't confident at all today and ended up with Fingal Bay @ 6-1, Moreofthat @ 10-1 and Ballynagour @ 16-1 singles but also had small multiples, landed a £119 return from a £1 double but like a complete tool I put Annie Power in the multiples instead of Moreofthat. I had Indian Castle in the last running for doubles and a treble to return a nice tidy sum but it wasn't to be. Nice profit on the day though going into day 4.

Didn't have a big position myself but it's been a tough week for his trainer and he might have erred taking Fox Norton out prematurely.

I'm on Briar Hill at 5s so things should go well into the green tomorrow. King's Palace is obvious cover.

Don't forget Captain Cutter. 10s is an insult.

Pulled a couple of good ones out of the fire on Tuesday when I was there and ended up even after being very deep into MTOY.faugheen,taquin,Fingal and Dynaste put me in a good position-unfortunately ended up going big on AP as I couldn't see her beaten,only now I have even looked at anything cheltenham..About 300 up going into tomorrow,would have been a lot more.im on kings palace and conti both ante post at nice prices.....I'll probably be ill disciplined and get the elephant gun out tomorrow.Time for a drink......

I hope you're saving cash for Ireland in the rugby! A part of me thinks it's a once in a lifetime bet but the French are fighting in such a way this week that I fear a performance.

Don't forget Captain Cutter. 10s is an insult.

Been back and forth with this one. Ballyalton indirectly boosted his form on Wednesday but I thought the ground would be a bit quick for him. They seem to have watered it enough for that not to be a worry though.

I've had an unbelievable ante post cheltenham. Faugheen has been a huge winner, +42 pts. Just lost out in a big payday today with Vautour, Faugheen and Annie power multiple, but I got a good kick out of it anyway.

The RSA has been the only loser in the ante post book, which has been astonishing. Tuesday ante post was Voutour and Jezki +17 pts. Got 7/1 enhanced double Quevega/Briar Hill thanks to PP while ruby was been interviewed a couple days prior to the festival. Also they went 9/2 briall hill in shop, E/W please. Lost 6pts on the days betting, mainly in the handicaps.

Wednesday was another winner for the Ante post book, +50pts thanks to faugheen and whisper. Morning Assembly and Wonderful Charm NR were my only ante post losers so far. Backed Sire De Grugy on the day. Lost 4pts betting on the day again on the handicaps.

Thursday got off to a great start +9pts Taquin De Seuil ante post. Didn't get involved in the Ryanair, my treble covered the world hurdle, Lost 6 more pts in the handicaps, but Spring Heeled +12pts in the last finished off the day nicely to what has been an unforgettable 3 days.

Overall I'm up 72pts. First race tomorrow, I've royal irish hussar and Tiger Roll 1pt e/w ante post, 1pt artic fire/never enough time, 2 pts briar hill e/w ante post, 1pt last instalment e/w, 1pt First Lieutenant, 1pt next sensation/mr mole to bring the curtain down on what has been an incredible few days betting. One that I won't forgot in a long time. Next year I just have to rethink my position in the handicap markets.

Tuesday.
Champagne Fever was biggest bet of meeting-so far. Partially covered by EW portion aimed to defend stake. Fantastic run but loss of potential winning a big downer, especially significant ew double with my only winner of the day,Jezki. Jezzer was amongst my largest bets and some very good prices. Must admit had had severe concerns for bets made throughout the year but Geraghty rode the horse brilliantly and almost to the plan I would have suggested. Sum 1 winner, 4 seconds, 1 nowhere and 1 no bet. Defensive staking played a big part in making a pretty good betting day.

Wednesday.
Major bet of the day Le Bec was a painful and a disappointing performance. Had high for that one. Will review race to assess whether unlucky or my judgement totally wrong. Only winner good old Balthazar has served me well over the years. Again I admit to have written off my early AP bets during the wet days of winter but at around double the SP the sun shined. Katgary, mainly a win bet was the only other non loser. Sum: Survival.

Thursday.
A great start to the day enhanced by the impulsive reinvestment of returns from late pick up of Attaglance (ew). The 5th place of Jetson was galling as one of my long standing AP bets done ew.
Good decision to swerve the World Hurdle bar tiny interest only bet on Annie Power.
Backed Al Ferof ultimately, without much confidence, thus sustaining only minor damage. Decent AP bets on Shangani went down but had mentally written off because of ground. Springheeled certainly put a spring in my step and ensured that ,unless I go bonkers, a winning Festival.

I have done brilliant with e/w lucky 15's on the handicaps without having a winner. I was the wrong side of the two closest finishes of the week but backed them e/w and had the f/c in one.

my place only trebles are miles in front to such an extent I bailed on two, started to get confused as well.

Had the placepot Wednesday to 1.20p, and to 60p yesterday through perms.

Had Faugheen at 14/1, Dynaste at 12/1, Midnight Prayer at 14/1, Jezki 12/1 ante.

SDG, Dynaste, Quevega, Faugheen, BW in a Canadian that was a Heinz with MTOY.

Got two nice trebles only bets going into today with 14/1, 7/2, 11,4, 9/4 winners, three losers and Royal I H at 14/1, Caid D B at 14/1 one with Astracad at 25/1 the other with BW at 2/1 from 10's - in 120 x trebles.

If Smad Place and Get me Out Of Here had won I would have been in with a shout of winning the WH "The Jumps"

Last edited:
Complete washout today with the exception of Tammy's Hill in the Foxhunters who I warmed to when he beat OTF at Leopardstown - what was that blasted yoke though that wrecked my profitable exacta with OTF ?

Had a nice few quid on Briar Hill to be unplaced at 11/5.Big fan of Bobsworth but 5/4 was just too short-I contemplated having a serious match bet on BW to beat SC but I just couldn't bring myself to push the button.When the race eventually started I thought they went very hard early on and I liked the way Russell had Lord Windermere settled out the back so I decided to ask for 6 euro at 180 on Betfair which was matched.Ended up having a good week which wasn't bad considering I was very close to being out of the game after the bumper on Wednesday.

Two gambling related stories one of my mates is a small stakes punter and he had a lucky 31 yesterday -the first 4 won at 9/1,28/1,28/1 and7/4 leaving him waiting on Frederic Chopin at Wolverhampton for 30K.Unfortunately he could only finish 2nd.I'm a bit hazy about the details but as far as I know he got about 3K.Its a bit mad waiting on a horse at Wolverhampton on a Friday night for 30K.
Second story -youngfella in town waiting on Annie Power for 12K on Thursday -the advice he got was to borrow 2 grand and have it on Big Bucks.

Friday
Went bonkers-the right way.
Bad start to the day as bookie double enters my day's bets. Worse, Le Rocher, in multiple with my core bets of the meeting- Champagne Fever, Jezki and one other- non runner (NMB). Broughton replacement not up to it. Resolve issue with bookie then as Lac Fontana wins realise I should have waited to see how I'd got on before resolving issue. Spud race too difficult for me so backed the one that would give me the most pleasure in winning, Roddy's horse ( hope he came back fine ).

Then the last of my core bets- in all the multiples put on in November-Lord Windermere. Given that he was to be ridden for a place we were watching for how many he had behind. At home the wife gave up and turned the tv off but he then began to pass more and more horses and was just behind the front line. Instead of thinking place likely, memories of how he flew up the hill last year came to mind. A huge effort was needed and boy did he give it. Brilliant performance by trainer, jockey and all others connected. Sod the ratings, for two years in a row this gutsy horse has come and taken the championship race for his class. So will it be him or Fever next year. Counting the days.

Last edited:
Back