How bad are Labour?

I have never seen such an unelectable Prime Minister in my lifetime!

He makes Michael Foot look like Churchill

David cameron couldn;t even tell the truth about a pasty he bought last year,what an absolute imbecile this bloke is.The company shut down 5 years ago:lol: imagine trusting anyone like thatfabricating a story about a pasty to win over ordinary people.What a total prat worst pm ever!!:blink:

He makes Michael Foot look like Churchill

LMFAO!

As I was saying to someone the other day: Name five top rate Labour politicians, that would make you feel they are a party to vote for. You just can't at the moment, which is surreal for a national party as big as them.

They've lost the foresight and wisdom of the Robin Cooks which their top brass never appeciated in the first place, the swagger of the John Prescotts', charisma of Blair and the messages and polciies they once thought was enough to buy them terms in office (minimum wage etc) are now seen as nothing more than just common sense and decency. An appraisal of them in a way but a critisism because these obviously weren't the rocket science initiatives they thought was enough to make a fiar society.

And even given that I always thought that were yanking my chain in goverment.:)

Last edited:
For Prescott, they have Ed Balls, who is a lot cleverer (and should be the leader IMO)

There is a lot of revisionist thinking about David Milliband, but by many accounts he was pretty aloof and not that popular within the party

can just imagine Ed Millipede with the "fight them on the beaches" speech

Oh lord.... can you just?

David cameron couldn;t even tell the truth about a pasty he bought last year,what an absolute imbecile this bloke is.The company shut down 5 years ago:lol: imagine trusting anyone like thatfabricating a story about a pasty to win over ordinary people.What a total prat worst pm ever!!:blink:

They all do it - Blair watched Milburn from the Gallowgate End and his favourite Premiership player was Arjan De Zeeuw

Gordon Brown loved to get up at half four to the Arctic Monkeys

Last pm to avoid this cringemaking stuff was Major; didn't do him much good...

The tories are very exposed at the moment. the budget was thoughtless and politically inept and i also a sense a touch of lazy thinking at the top of the party (its been said that Cameron isnt as engaged as he could be)

Sometimes a seemingly small issue can be a symptom of a wider malaise and the pasty one (nicely Prd by greggs no doubt) is a perfect 'hit the working class but help the rich' gaff. Its pure negligence that this wasnt foreseen and tahts before we get onto the stupidity of Maude

Labour are 9/10 to win the most seats in the next government
Ed Milliband is 6/4 to be the next Prime Minister.

The speech was a very good one in my opinion and it's likely his popularity will get a bounce in the polls from it. More worrying for Labour is that the polls show that only 25% of voters blame the Conseratives for the current mess. British politics is far more interesting than Irish politics. I'm tempted by the 6/4.

Milliband is becoming more convincing to many perhaps and hes likeable in many ways but is he really going to be seen as a leader of the nation..? 6/4 wouldn't tempt me at the moment. But i wouldnt rule him out

I think he has to be a fair bit more appealing to enterprise to get those vital seats in the south too. Labour has been looking closer to the public sector and unions than under Blair and that doesn't wash well down here

Last edited:
Milliband is becoming more convincing to many perhaps and hes likeable in many ways but is he really going to be seen as a leader of the nation..? 6/4 wouldn't tempt me at the moment. But i wouldnt rule him out

I think he has to be a fair bit more appealing to enterprise to get those vital seats in the south too. Labour has been looking closer to the public sector and unions than under Blair and that doesn't wash well down here

It was a step in The right direction. Presumably the Torres sit well with the south that you speak of?

Outside of london, theres a natural Tory majority across nearly all southern constituencies bar a few libdem strongholds. Blairs great achievement was to get round that and appeal to those that weren't especially right wing but certainly did not want a whiff of union power and bloated public sector (which we got anyway)

Truth is that the politics of all three parties are far closer than they have ever been. In the eighties the idealogical divide was massive with Thatchers reforms and a labour party that had drifted way to the left ("longest suicide note in history" etc) and was having a long journey back.

Voters are probably less tied now but milliband will have to watch some of the idiots around him (the union boss gong on about grabbing power, the idiot Harman) and will have to skilfully keep on track as Blair did with Goulds and Mandelsons talented help

The other factor is that there are signs the economy is picking up nicely now. If that continues im not sure that the tories would have been seen to have made enough real errors to justify a big vote against them

Before the summer Cameron was always coming out best in the Prime Minister questions exchanges between the two leaders. Is this still the case?

I don't mind a strong public service myself, but I've seen examples of a mob mentality, where the person receiving the public service actually gets a worse service, because of complacency and lazy thinking, due to people in the public service thinking they are untouchable and also not really trying to keep updating and pioneering services.

Then enter Cameron... He knows the NHS is a key service, but he sees it hasn't been evolving, changing, and pioneeering enough to help people in the right way. So he and his ministers impose a reform exercise that they say will essentially improve service for patients and save money aswell. This pattern of public sector change in policy from government you can apply to the NHS and lots of other services.

Ed's essentially asking people to 'trust him', and that he'll be a more pertinent policy maker and decision/maker than whats on already offer, but does Ed Milliband have the character and charisma to be a Blair-style 'my way or the highway politician?

I like the One Nation conservatism/Disreali idea he's adopted, (this is the type of conservatism I agree with). The devil will be in the detail.

Last edited:
EdM moves to within just 4% of Dave as "best PM" - his best ever position on this measure from YouGov. .At the start of 2012 Cameron led Miliband by 41% to 17% in YouGov's best PM ratings. Today that's 31% to 27%

The fact he's still behind the day after his conference speech....and with Cameron slap-bang in mid-term, tells you all you need to know. Labour will get absolutely shivved at the next election; the only question is whether the Tories will get a majority (doesn't seem likely unless there's a significant upturn in next 12 months).

Yes. You have to be a good way ahead in opposition at mid term.

the tories could win many more seats off the libdems though, simply by libdems defecting to millibean. Again this would be key in the south

But im not convinced the libdems will do as badly as some think. Ultimately many will see them crudely as the reasonable alternative between etonians and mr bean

But anything can happen in two years. It's impossible to be dogmatic at this stage.

@MSmithsonPB: Labour lead at 11 in latest YouGov CON 32%, LAB 43%, LD 10%, UKIP 8%

Back