How Far Would You Go For Your Pet?

• Thread starter Thread starter solerina
  • Start date Start date
Sorry to hear about your cat, Michelle. I understand fully why you had her treated and as an older cat, this would not apply but here are my recent experiences

As you may recall my cat (Lairy Arsed Moggs) was munched by my greyhound last summer and her femur was fractured. Our local small animal vets had already ripped my neighbour off and killed her cat in the process so I was determined not to go to them but unfortunately they seem to have bought up all the local practices so when it came to the accident on a Saturday afternoon, I had no choice. Initially however I rang my dad (who although retired was a brilliant small animal vet - he spent time as a sugeon at Bristol University) and he guided my through what to do. This was totally against what the vets I took her to advised and it became painfully aparent that they were in it for the money.
Her break was a fairly straightforward fracture of her femur, which Dad felt would be fine just strapped back against the body, as cats bones knit very well and he felt that pinning often creates splinters anyway. The vets however wanted to send her to Solihull (they did not have the expertise to operate) and get her pinned - the cost over £1000! Now, I love her dearly but that was ridiculous so I made them speak to my dad - when they didn't agree with what he suggested, he asked for the cat to be released into his care - they threatened him with the RSPCA! Somehow, we got the cat out, with the leg strapped as requested and some minor stitching done - £350. They said I was cruel and the cat would be forever disabled - what a load of complete b*llocks! She was scaling trees after 3 days of the accident on 3 legs and if you saw her today you would have no idea she had ever had a break.

Being a vets daughter, it annoys me intensely that many vets will rip people off by playing on their emotions - of course you want the best treatment for a loved pet - who wouldn't, but some of them go way too far - they kept saying to me - "can't you see how distressed she is" - the bloody thing was purring on my knee, FFS!

Oh, I think my time's nearly up already, 221! My right knee's decided to be beastly today, I've got a leprous cold sore and a disgusting phlegmy cough, wheezy lungs, and feel stiff and sore all over. I'm not worried about when my time's up - if I think it's taking too long to arrive, I'll arrange it myself. After all, it's the least kindness we can do for ourselves... <_<

When the quality of life is over for a pet (or 'life companion' if you really do twee), you have a choice - let it stagger around in ever-decreasing ill health until it finally dies (and boy, do animals take a hell of a long time to drool and twitch to death) because you don't want to call the shots, or you think it's 'unnatural'; or have it put to sleep, with you beside it, gently reassuring it on its way to Pet Heaven. Where, I know, it is given lovely gossamer wings, never needs to eat again, and drinks from sparkling springs overhung by exquisite crystal trees. Or was that the Andrex ad? I get confused at this late stage of my life...

Thanks Jinny . I know what you say is very good advice . Our wee cat's fracture is complicated . It is a complete fracture but they call it an oblique fracture . She must had landed awkwardly and that break looks on x-ray about the angle you would cut a french loaf . It's very sharp and very splintered . It's also on the finest end of the femur which is the weight bearing part of the bone . Because of that she couldn't plate it but had to run a pin through the length of the femur . It's too fragile to add wires on the outside too so it's down to how well she mends as an older cat . The danger is the two parts of the bone revolving . It's such a fine piece of bone that she can't hold it with wire because it could do more damage . We have to hope that it mends soon and that the bone doesn't rotate or else she's looking at amputation . The wee pet is getting daily visits . It's worse than going to hospital but she's so glad to see us . If I thought she was suffering I hope I wouldn't be selfish enough to do that to her . We're going down to the vet's and spending an hour every day with her . Looksl ike she'll be there for another week at least . She's still really swollen and won't stand up . As soon as the swelling goes down and they x-ray her again we'll know more about any nerve damage and how the bone is mending .

If worst comes to worst, though, Sols, cats and dogs do work wonderfully well as tripods, whether they lose a front or back leg. If the vet is going to have to do constant faffing about and cause your cat a lot of continuing stress and pain, followed by slow recoveries, painkillers, etc., it might be the solution to an unmendable break. There are no signs that 3-legged animals are slowed down by the loss of a limb! Hopefully she can keep all four limbs, but it is something to put into the back of your mind, if need be.

I don't think I would have a problem with that Jon and I think Kitten would do just fine . I've said to my mum and she would prefer to see her put down as having 3 legs but that's her perception of the situation . It's another operation but I think she would make it and get along alright . It's a last resort but hopefully it's looking as if the injury wont be fatal and we'll know in the next few days if there is nerve damage . Fingers crossed .

Hi Songsheet. I am compiling a family history for my friend's horse who I understand is one of Sutosky's offspring - now 23 years old. I would be delighted if you might share any information, stories or photos you may have of her. I look forward to hearing from you.

Back