How Much Paid Holiday Do You Get

walsworth

Journeyman
Just come across this article, I didn't realise we were that far behind France or that far in front of America.
When I started work we got no holiday the first year and only one week after that and we had to take it when we were told.
44 hour week then as well, bastards these Trade Unions aren't they?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11139960

Last edited:
Australians get a compulsory 4 weeks (20 days) every 52 weeks of working, if they are full time and casual employees. That is paid leave, and some leave is also paid with a loading of 17.5%. I know I get the loading, because of th award that we get paid.

Though we can take 1 week (5 days) every 12 weeks. It depends on your employer.

A lot of foreigners who come here, cannot honestly believe we get that much leave, a long with the additional loading.

My present terms are 20 days rising by one day per year to a maximum of 25, which I reached some time ago. When I was contracting, I got none not even Bank Holidays, but there was a change in the law about ten years ago and they started to give me a week every 13 weeks, but the rate was changed to suit.

25 plus 4 days 'travelling time' to compensate for working as an expatriate plus 1 day for my venerable age (yes, Rory) and 1 day for my exalted grade.

When I worked as an expatriate (obviously) in Saudi Arabia, I started off with 28 days paid leave, with air fares to and from the point of origin. The requirement was that in order to qualify for paid fares, you had to take a minimum of three weeks in one go, in order to refresh yourself thoroughly. As I got promoted over time, the paid leave went up to six weeks with air fares paid Business Class (from Economy). Everyone also qualified for a full week (i.e. five work days plus weekend) with pay during the two Eids (Eid al-Adha and Eid al-Fitr) during the year, where one was free to leave the country and embellish them with either days borrowed from the annual allowance or taken without pay.

I was really surprised to learn when working there that the majority expats, the Americans, got nothing like these holidays back in the USA. Some came from jobs which paid only one week per year, others which paid only two, and none at all which paid four. All Americans automatically qualified for six weeks when working for the oil company - other nationals did not, even lower-grade Saudis, starting off with 'just' the four weeks with full pay. Of course, one could also add unpaid leave to the paid leave to extend the vacation.

Additionally, emergency leaves were very generous - you could take a week's emergency leave with full pay and have your air fares reimbursed on return provided there was supporting medical or other (such as a family bereavement of spouse, child, or parents) evidence. You could take up to three emergency leaves per year and still get full pay and reimbursements. None of these would impact on your right to normal paid and/or unpaid vacation time.

The Saudi government also had generous allowances for married female employees (national and expatriate) who became pregnant. By law, there was fully-paid leave of six weeks before delivery and then eight weeks after, with the mother, if returning to work, being able to work on full pay for two years after the birth of the child for six, instead of eight, hours a day. These allowances were enshrined in their 'Workman's Rules & Regulations' handbook, produced and in force in the early 1970s - without the need for trade unionism, and more than a little behind the UK at the time. The book was full of the rights and responsibilities of employers and employees and certainly backed up any tribunals taken to the Labour Court by the aggrieved of either.

Last edited:
Now as much as I want, more or less but the rest of our employees are on a basic 20 days when they start with us, four to be taken over Christmas, rising to 25 days after two years and after five years, they get 30 days, five days to be taken over Christmas. One of our employees has just come back fro working three months in South Africa at a Children's facility (sort of orphanage/school etc), which she did while continuing to work for us part time and is now home and back full time. She's worked for us for five years now. Our US employees get 20 days, five to be taken over Christmas and we are considered to be exceptionally generous employers!

26 standard
+1 for length of service
+3 for grade
+13 flex days from working pattern
+8 Bank Holidays

None now as per diem rate. This in reality means a holiday of between 3-4 months. When employed was 28 + service entitlement, maximum 35 days aggregate. Rarely used all of entitlement.

Looks like I work for a mean employer, but I already knew that, got to pay the rent some how and at my age can't see me getting anything better.
Daft thing is, that when I was contracting, as a design drughtsman, about 15 years ago I thought of getting a camper van because it would give me the chance to travel further. I don't think the sort of job that I did really exists any more, we simply don't make anything here now, and I'm too old to want to retrain for civil engineering. They do seem to be looking for reinforced concrete draffys quite a lot round here and in London.

Last edited:
None

But the buzz of working for your self easily compensates for waiting half the year for a crap week in lanzarote or a 90 hour flight to get mugged in the carribean

None

But the buzz of working for your self easily compensates for waiting half the year for a crap week in lanzarote or a 90 hour flight to get mugged in the carribean

Dear Diary

It finally happened - I agreed 100% with clivex.

Will the sun rise tomorrow?

Im terrible for forgetting to take holidays. I like working, it gives your week structure. I get a standard 20 days and the trick is to not take the last week so you end up having to take Christmas week.

You live in the damp dismal NW euro. So probably not

You should have said "will I be eating a pie tomorrow?"

Im terrible for forgetting to take holidays. I like working, it gives your week structure. I get a standard 20 days and the trick is to not take the last week so you end up having to take Christmas week.

You must like your job?

I (unfortunately) couldn't say anything like the same..

Back