How my audition went...

Craig Braddick

At the Start
Hi People:

Sorry for not getting back sooner. No-one knows who got the job as yet. I tried but became nervous and didnt really give 2 good calls. Although there were only 5 horse fields, there were three color changes which were not given to me and I had to relearn them on the way to post.

Here is the first one (2nd one to follow) All comments welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idBw1CDrUdc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6VqBlS605A

Cheers,

Craig

Last edited:
Certainly not a bad call and no mistakes as such. I'd query the use of one or two expressions though; "burning the candle at both ends" doesn't work for me as a descriptive racing phrase (not sure if you were modifying "burning up the track" ) and "finishing like a train" has been rather worn out here; to use that expression shortly after "plodding on" for the winner was a little incongruous. It did sound a little like a homage to Aussie Jim McGrath rather than a truly natural style of your own, but maybe I'm being harsh. As I've said, the call was fundamentally sound and you were done no favours by the make up of the race ~ five runner races, especially without a strong pace, are very difficult to make interesting.

Certainly not a bad call and no mistakes as such. I'd query the use of one or two expressions though; "burning the candle at both ends" doesn't work for me as a descriptive racing phrase (not sure if you were modifying "burning up the track" ) and "finishing like a train" has been rather worn out here; to use that expression shortly after "plodding on" for the winner was a little incongruous. It did sound a little like a homage to Aussie Jim McGrath rather than a truly natural style of your own, but maybe I'm being harsh. As I've said, the call was fundamentally sound and you were done no favours by the make up of the race ~ five runner races, especially without a strong pace, are very difficult to make interesting.

WHen I said: "They're not exactly burning the candle at both ends" I mean they are not going quickly.

Yes the other 2 were a little incongrous but, honest to God, they were going slowly enough and then Forest Picnic finally found a bit more.

I haven't really listened to J A McGrath for a number of years - I do not think your comments were too harsh, though.

2nd race shortly to be added.

Craig

Craig

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for you, Craig! I know absolutely nothing about race commentating so wouldn't even dare to even offer an opinion.

Hi Craig - I thought it was well called but you must guard against the 'errs' LOL
Perhaps you could try for a more even tone - I noticed a few near stops, but that's being nit-picking, and no doubt with more runners that would vanish. Hope you get the job!

I was fair amazed at your accent btw, it veers headily between 'Deep South' and London suburbs, and several in between... it's very hard to place! What age were you when you went over to the US?

Hi Craig - I thought it was well called but you must guard against the 'errs' LOL
Perhaps you could try for a more even tone - I noticed a few near stops, but that's being nit-picking, and no doubt with more runners that would vanish. Hope you get the job!

I was fair amazed at your accent btw, it veers headily between 'Deep South' and London suburbs, and several in between... it's very hard to place! What age were you when you went over to the US?

Well - I have lived in the USA for over 8 years. I live in West Virginia which is about rural south as you can get. I am originally from Cambridge but spent a lot of time in Enfield and that area.

My accent has always been a little hard to place for some people (Dear God, save me, but many people here seem to think I am Australian) - the truth is somewhat less romantic. I have a very bad speech impediment and had crap speech therapy when I was kid in the UK which never got better in part because my Mum liked to give me a good slapping every time I did not say a word in her Received Pronunciation way of saying things. Ironically, it was one of the reasons I would go racing every weekend and wanted to become a commentator.

Psychologically, it is still a bit of an open wound to me, even today.

I have added the 2nd race to the original post

Craig

My sister lives in Richmond, Virginia. She has lived out there for about 10 years and thank goodness she still retains her English accent. She has been asked for recordings of her accent to put on answerphones as the American's seem to love it.

My sister lives in Richmond, Virginia. She has lived out there for about 10 years and thank goodness she still retains her English accent. She has been asked for recordings of her accent to put on answerphones as the American's seem to love it.

Hey Kathy:

Well, I dont think I sound American, do you?

Were you able to pass my info on to Robin Gray?

Cheers,

Craig

Craig, Robin wasn't working on Wednesday when I went down so I left your e-mail address in the office. I think he is work riding tomorrow.

You don't sound American at all, which is (another reason) why you should get the job!;)

I thought it was law that all US racing commentators growled "and there they go...." when the stalls opened? :D

I thought it was law that all US racing commentators growled "and there they go...." when the stalls opened? :D

Most of them seem to say "Aaaannnddd - they're AAAFFFF!! :p

Craig you sound pretty American to me, at least more than you sound English! As I said it's hard to place... but I'd say the American is definitely dominant now, with a distinct Southern twang!

wha tyou are doing is very brave, given your childhood problems - more so than most people could imagine - so never mind the errrs

Craig, I read what you posted about the way your speech was corrected as a child, and wondered if I would hear a brave, but hesitant commentary... Not a bit of it, that was great, you communicated throughout exactly what was happening in the race. Wishing you the very, very best.

Back