How Was Your Week?

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Punting High: Although I was shouting for Punchestowns a winner is a winner, and Big Bucks was my only one of the week (six second places:()

Punting Low: Voy Por Ustedes was a kick in the stomach. I know jumping is the name of the game but when you get a good price on the best horse in the race and it doesn`t win it stings.

Thoughts: Like Royal Ascot I think it`s so tough to get winners that the place market should be looked at more. I enjoyed the week though.

Staked around £250 over the week. Ended up a whole fiver. Still, 2% interest, better than the Bank of England :D

It's hard to compare - I had a lot of small bets this week that I probably wouldn't have at something like Royal Ascot, where I'd focus entirely on the Group 1s and not spread the bank around as much.

£4 on Go Native @ 25-1, £10 on Zaynar 11-2(free PP bet ) £3 on Dunquib@ 7-1, £20 Big Bucks @6-1, and the biggest bet i have ever had on a jumps horse £50 on Kasbah Bliss @ 7-1 ( anti post ), £5 on Kauto Star @7-4. My main bets are saved for the flat season. If only i could get the staking plan correct.

A week of two halves.

Tuesday - Michael Flips (less said the better)
Padydeplasterer (10/1 and we're off)
Brave Inca for the place (sorry Cantoris, now you know the real reason)
Calinin Alien (oh well, turkey)

Still comfortably ahead with golden Wednesday to follow (or drunken Wednesday as it was to become)

Wednesday - Mikael D'Hagunent 5/1
Massinis Maguire 14/1 e/w
Petit Robin 18/1 e/w and also put in an e/w double with Massinis
Ninetieth Minute prices between 20's and 16's win single and a bit e/w to cover stake.
Brusilini in the Fred Winter but what the hell, actually that was part of e/w double with Ninetieth Minute with a 5 figure drag on it I think, but I was too hammered by now to calculate it, although I have a recollection of the horse being stuffed. I eventually woke up to check the bumper having forgotten about it, and duly discovered that Dunguib had also won at 7's for me.

All in all 9 bets placed on Wednesday and 7 winners

All of a sudden this Cheltenham lark seemed easy 16 bets 8 winners. This was like shooting fish in a bucket of water

Thursday -
Sore head very little study, meant to back Imperial Commander but was feeling particularly queezy. Managed to put the mockers on Punchestowns but otherwise spent the day in bed

Friday -
Another day I've done well on traditionally
Starluck couldn't get up the hill
Sky Hall looked to be going well and then emptied for a win and a place. He also took down an e/w double
Pride of Dulcote lost me my stake recovery plan
and Finally Tout Seul had convinced me to take a punt at Border Fusion win and place (left the Gold Cup alone)

second half 8 bets 0 wins

Comfortably ahead, but a few big ones went missing without ever threatening. Pride of Dulcote would be the nearest miss I suppose, although I felt punchestowns had Big Bucks when the later blundered the last before rallying. I also felt Starluck was going to win the Triumph, but for the most part I got the breaks to fall my way, even Petiti Robin was out on his feet, others fell to bring him into a place

Last edited:
Knackering. Agony. Slightly down financially [mainly due to the expensive dinners out...]. Frustrating - more seconds/close thirds [when punting win only] and subsequently passed over second selections winning than I care to remember! Not to mention refusing to back Oh Crick (and probably others) purely because it was Pricewise......:mad:

The company was top notch though :)

Last edited:
Tuesday
Cousin Vinny 5/1 in Double with Crowded House (2000Guins) It was down as soon as the bad vibes started.
Binocular 7s and 7/4
Osana 13 and 16/1
Maljimar place only 4/1 - bet of the week really, one of my rules with handicap betting is never to punt an animal who has never won over the trip. I was delighted when he was caught near the post.

Wednesday
Diamond Harry 9/2 - No value, no edge.
Well Chief 9/4 place - Sentimental bet that paid off

Thursday
Voy Por Ustedes 9/2 (and also in dbl with Mastercraftsman 2000G)- If I had a cat i`d have kicked it.
Punchestowns 11/4 and 43/10
Big Bucks 7/1. I thnk it was Warbler who first mentioned on here that the recent vintage of staying hurdlers had been less than er, vintage.

Friday
Walkon 74/10. My fifth runner-up of the week.
Exotic Dancer 65, 21 and 17 (not a sausage on the place market:()
Neptune Collonges 12
Denman 7/1 EW
Halcon 11/1 place. Great race and although I lost overall I don`t mnd when you see performances like that.

14 Bets - 1 Winner and 6 seconds. A grand total of £68 down.

It improved towards the end of the week with Danny Cook helping me out with 2 outsiders each way and then had Zaynar, Weapons Amnesty and the Foxhunter winner today as well as Mikhael D'Haguenet, Nenuphar Collonges e/w and one other I've forgotten. But not as good as last year (11 winners) but any return is better than nothing and Betfair a/c looks better than it did!

Had two good good FCTs on Tuesday as already recorded - put both on reverse but the favs were beaten; also got two winners: Quevega and Wichita Lineman. Considerably up on my stake money.

Wednesday - punted all my online profit, to add to my Ballymore no-shows (Zaynar winning that would have made me quite rich, Breedsbreeze less so LOL). Lost Tuesday's online profits, but not the Fct profits.

Thursday - came out about level. Had Butlers Cabin e/w on PP which paid 5th, phew.

Friday - winning day I think, I've not checked properly. Had Zaynar and Kauto

The real tragedy of my week was losing out on the first 3 days Placepots by one horse missing out by one place, all three times! Arrggh. Didn't have the heart to try again today. And like most of us I suspect, I had a lot of place bets come in 4th/5th and win bets coming 2nd...

Two big ante-post bets:

Quevega - she absolutely smashed them as I thought she would, definitely a horse from the top drawer

Zaynar - certainly not my own selection but worth it with an ew bet from December.

A few other winners and losers bust after Quevega it was never going to be a losing week :)

Had a shocker of a day yesterday..3 seconds on Tuesday..2 more seconds on Thursday..4 winners on Wednesday..Sickened that I'd not nearly enough money on Dunguib in the bumper:mad:. Did too many bets over the week to be honest, down about €250 quid overall.

Tuesday -off to a flyer with the place lay of Cousin Vinny.Wichita Lineman was a great result for me backed it to win and was the first leg of a lucky 15 that would take out 300 large.Place lay of Quevega didn't hurt me that badly.

Wednesday -Nice ew bet on Petit Robin kept me afloat but I was felt I was lacking confidence and things weren't really going my way.Went to the pub and 6 of us got the placepot up at Kempton sharing 2790.

Thursday Hungover -Had my placepot winnings ew on Punchestowns at 7/2.For whatever reason I lacked the confidence to lay VPU and Kasbah despite not liking them.Saw the betfair money coming for Kayf Aramis and got on straight away -then acted the smartarse trading.Put up a massive in running lay on him at short odds due to his ability to throw away races.Felt I should have really cleaned up with him.
The life changing lucky 15 fell apart with a winner and a non runner.Went back to the pub and proclaimed Kauto a stand out bet -the only problem was that Exotic Dancer was the last leg of the lucky 15 and I would win a decent amount on him.

Friday -up very early due to alcohol making me twitchy.Had a few nice bets on the pricewise losers for decent money.Had to grit my teeth when Kauto Star won.Last race I place laid poquelin at 1.95 which I thought was a ridiculous price.Don't know how I managed to lose money but I was slightly down over the 4 days.

lost a lot this week for me

about 7 pound fifty overall

if madison had won i would have been 3 quid up instead

just shows how one winner can make all difference

Hugely missed going which pi$$ed me off big time. Scant consolation in that by having access to in-running and really having established an in- running procedure I made a decent profit which would not have been the case had I been at Prestbury Park.
Going into the meeting I had my smallest AP book ever.Because of the going conditions for much of season I felt it was too risky and in addition the prices for many of the high profile races were too short to justify AP under my regime.
I benefitted from postings on here in that I backed both Zaynar and Hebridean before they met and from Cooldine. I got an extra pickup from Zaynar because during the Newbury race I had the Triumph betting up on the laptop whilst using the desktop to manage my exposure in the race. As soon as it became clear that Zaynar was class I lumped on more than usual to win the Triumph in order to make a short term trading profit but decided to hold on to some of this additional exposure. ( Its the ex-banker mentality. Ducks).
Had Massini's Maguire with Hebridean as the only notable AP losers.

For a number of reasons, not least the uncertainty mentioned above, it would have been inappropriate to bet at my normal Cheltenham levels when I usually have several to win substantial amounts, ie 5 figures. I rarely back horses at under 4/1 at Cheltenham or anywhere else as a rule.The impact, if one counts backing and then laying a horse as just one bet and therefore half the actual T/O ( Statistically fallible but easier to understand.), was that my turnover was down by about 60%.

I put up 4 fancies (Ambobo, Cape Tribulation, Border Fusion and Bowleaze) on here and take this opportunity to apologise to anyone
who lost on them having read my postings. The first 3 cost me quite a lot though I had less on BF but I made good money (and a good opportunity to shout at the screen) on Bowleaze getting 26/1( traded part ) and the place. Overall a small profit on the 4.

Wichita was a great result. My bet of the day when I briefly glimpsed McCoy galvanise him and mindful of Ted Walsh's comment that I felt was nuts ( " Will not make it up the hill" or the equivalent) I went for it in running and got an overall average of 12's- I didn't smell the 70's+ that was apparently available- to more than budget. Imperial Commander was a straight pick at a good price.

I traded out on Red Moloney and Kalahari King the latter for a healthy profit. Both of these would have been losses without trading except for the place on Kalahari.The other bet that won any real amount was a silly bet on Stradbrook because I had found it looking for a big outsider to try and win a comp. I made an unexpected few hundred though it could have been much more. Unfortunately my Betfair screen was not working correctly but it was the now to be dreaded message "your virus protection has been automatically updated" that revealed the reason I did not maximise my return on that one.

Would trade the profit to have been there.

Same as always betting wise. More snakes than ladders.

Forpady and Quevega on Tuesday but it went wrong from there. Following Alan King (win only bets) didn't work this time.

Still, by about 3.30 on Friday afternoon, I didn't give two hoots. :)

Plan for next year. Follow the Irish. :cool:

Not really there for the betting, but for the top class racing. But I did a £2 placepot each day, one day 5 out of 6, another 4 out of 6 and the other 2 knowhere. Also did a couple of £2 e/ws through the week which came knowhere either. I'm not a tipster thankfully! But I did put £2 e/w on Andytown and won £73! My first ever winner at Cheltenham. Thankyou very much. All in all, a top quality week of racing...and I can't wait until next year.

just had a right good piece of good fortune...going through me wallet and found a betting slip from tuesday ..58p each-way on paddytheoldplasterer...so ...not as much down as i initially thought

love it when you get finds like that..i'd totally forgot about it

any of you guys done that?

Back