Hungerford Stakes / Geoffrey Freer Stakes

Aragorn

At the Start
With Evasive in the lineup good prices are going to be available about the other horses and I have been particularly sweet on Border Patrol for a while. He has been brought along slowly, not been overfaced thus far and 7f looks ideal. I'm a bit worried that Drowne is riding Palace moon - Is he retained by Morrison or would he have had the choice between these two? - but it won't put me off him.

If he is an each way price tomorrow i'm going to have a man size bet on him. I think he will be underestimated due to Evasive's form and connections and his form thus far looks fairly strong and I think there is more to come...

Not too keen to take on Evasive, but Kite Wood I am (not sure we should have two threads for the same card).

The Dante form is rubbish and I wasn't that impressed with his facile win against slow boats at Newmarket. I was impressed with Mourilyan at Goodwood though and think the drop back won't be too much of a hindrance.
Could be a value bet if any 5/1 is available.

Fuilin could be interesting at a big price, but with the way the Godolphin horses have hit form, you'd have to save on their 2 on any bets.

The ground was changed to good to firm all over about half way through the card yesterday; after about 11 races it must have been.

They didn't waste any time getting the tractor out to water the track after the last either - it was on the course almost as soon as the horses had come off it.

The times are on the Post site DO, only Oasis Knight in the 13f. 3-y-o handicap bettered standard, the next best being the 5f. Listed St. Hugh's for 2-y-o fillies.

I'm no time-buff but that stayers' time looks a bit suspect!

Last edited:
Kite wood was so dominant last time that it is extremely difficult to ignore his claims. Previous form this season is seemingly not too relevant, given Godlophins comments. With stable in such form, couldnt take him on at all....

Think Kite Wood is a cert. he is flying at home and has never been better for Godolphin. On how he is at home can't see him beat.

Wouldn't bet Evasive with Stolen money, fancy Express Wish ew at massive odds, whilst Purple Moon is tempting at 12s ew.

My figures say KW needs to find half a stone from last time to win. He might find it and then some but I'm not backing him at short odds to do so. I reckon Mourilyan is the call although obviously you'd imagine Godolphin have a line to KW via Schiaparelli.

Schiaparelli in his work, has worked with Kite Wood, and Schiaparelli wouldn't be in the same league. Admittedly the furthest they have worked is 9f, but its been Kite Woods impressive gallops with Sugar Ray that have impressed and last Saturday, Kite Wood under Dettori absolutely destroyed his lead.

I'm upset Covert Ambition didn't go for this and Kite Wood the Voltigeur as Covert Ambition is in top form now, and I would fancy him to clean up in the staying division next season.

I've had a small ew on Fiulin; he's one of my horses that I tend to follow because I know they'll win if I don't back them.

With Evasive in the lineup good prices are going to be available about the other horses and I have been particularly sweet on Border Patrol for a while. He has been brought along slowly, not been overfaced thus far and 7f looks ideal. I'm a bit worried that Drowne is riding Palace moon - Is he retained by Morrison or would he have had the choice between these two? - but it won't put me off him.

If he is an each way price tomorrow i'm going to have a man size bet on him. I think he will be underestimated due to Evasive's form and connections and his form thus far looks fairly strong and I think there is more to come...

Charlton's changing his mind again with this horse!!!! Pulled him out of Haydock to go for this race due to it being double the money but looks like being pulled out now due to the ground and is going to Ireland? Why man why?!! Surely he would have checked the forecast and known Donny drains well... I think he'll act fine on decent ground and i'm desperate to see this horse against decent opposition. A fast pace will help him no end.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=racing/09/09/08/manual_124635.html

Back