Hurricane Fly

From Irish-racing.com

He's just doing little canters, it's not ideal but he's got a splint coming," said Mullins."You can stop with a splint or you can bring it out but I've elected to keep going, if I stop I'm not going to make Cheltenham. He won't be doing any fast work.
"He is improving day by day and the intense pain that was there on Saturday and Sunday is easing. He let me put my hand on it today whereas the other day he wouldn't.
"We've had hot poultices going on it and cold compressors, we are working on it every hour of the day.
"He wouldn't be 100% sound to the trot but going a slow canter he is just able to maintain his fitness.
"He's a very active horse and you just have to keep him working everyday and doing something otherwise he would get muscle-bound.
"I don't know about Cheltenham at this stage. Certainly this happening three weeks before is not ideal, it's an unusual one as it's on the outside, maybe it's just a bang.
"There is no fracture there. We were all a little worried when it was so sore but he's been X-rayed and scanned and we haven't found any fracture and we are just trying to bring it out so we'll just wait and see.
"The progress he has made from Sunday is good and if he makes the same progress over the next six days, I think we'll get there all right," he told At the Races

I hope of course that the Fly does make it, but he's got to be a very risky betting proposition at this stage. No doubt Mullins won't risk him if he's not 100%, but if I'd an ante-post bet done it'd be layed off asap.

Going by the betting (Cousin Vinny as short as 3/1) I assume Hurricane Fly is out of the festival. Torphichen looks certain to go for the race now.

Going by the betting (Cousin Vinny as short as 3/1) I assume Hurricane Fly is out of the festival. Torphichen looks certain to go for the race now.

From the RP:

SUPREME Novices' Hurdle favourite Hurricane Fly will miss the Cheltenham Festival his trainer Willie Mullins confrimed on Tuesday.

Mullins told the Racing Post he had run out of time in his preparations for the festival and would now aim the five-year-old at Punchestown.

I still think Cousin Vinny will, or at least should, go for the Ballymore and Kempes will be Mullins runner in the Supreme.

Well done to Bar-One Racing. Their special today read;

"14days to go to Cheltenham,so were offering 14/1 on Hurricane Fly for the Ballymore Properties hurdle at Cheltenham"

Safe special....

Seeing as they refunded on Aran Concerto when they were 7/2 (9/4 general) at Fairyhouse before Christmas I'd imagine they will refund. Not much thought went into it mind.

I think it's blindingly obvious he will go for the Supreme. Hurricane Fly was the only reason I could see them going another route. The 4/1 is probably worth taking. Torphichen is the one to beat for me.

javascript:void(0);

Terrible shame about Hurricane Fly; probably saved the trainer from making an awkward decision though. Seems madness that WPM will enter the opening race of the Festival with the favourite and not use Ruby or Townend!!!

Back