I Know We Like The Champions But...

harry

At the Start
I adore Battlecry.
David England threw this horse at every fence at Ascot.
Beaten by Albertas Run.
Cheltenham, fabulous race again and Aintree just beaten by the Nicholls horse who for once had his day.
I would love to see this horse win a race as he's such a bold jumper and has a great heart.

Sometimes I think the beaten horses need a little praise too

Very well said. Battlecray was a joy to watch today

Can't single one out right now from the current crop, but from the past I still remember Beau, thinking of him a lot each time the GN comes around and hope he's happy in retirement. Ei Ei of course. We all love the bold front runners

Seconded The Last Fling - leading the field at The Chair the year he died :( and looked like he was thoroughly enjoying himself

Kauto Star comes across as Achilles to Denman's - Hector.

Overall, KS has been a privelege to watch. Thursday's battle with Our Vic will surely go down as one of the best, if tragic - as with Achilles at Troy.

MR2

Originally posted by imagine@Apr 5 2008, 09:58 AM
Seconded The Last Fling - leading the field at The Chair the year he died :( and looked like he was thoroughly enjoying himself
Thirded, but I supestitiously didn't want to mention him today :what:
He'd led all the way - and btw it was the Corner fence he went at not the Chair wasn't it?

Originally posted by Diamond Geezer@Apr 5 2008, 10:46 AM
Humanely put down at the Canal Turn
Thanks! My brain doesn't get in gear til after midday - esp when I didn't get to bed til 5.30 :brows:
There again at my age it might be early Alzheimers...

Every year at the CANAL TURN I have this image in my mind of The Last Fling lying there as all the horses stream over and past him..... but he did love that race, way to go

Of the current crop I suppose Ashley Brook and Kauto Star are the most exciting for me, but I'm not sure I could say I 'love to watch' them :rolleyes: - so nerve-wracking! I like intelligent horses with character as well as class, which are a bit unpredictable..... I never went for Best Mate for example, but loved Dessie

Hardy Eustace

On personal level,Mikos,horse I ride every morning in Collets.8 years old,bravest kindest horse ever,100th start other day,11 wins and 41 places,has gone from running in claimers to winning same Quinte handicap 3 years in a row at Saint Cloud. :luv:

it was the Corner fence he went at not the Chair wasn't it?

Sorry - I think my post must have been a bit confusing. Definitely the canal turn where he died but I just remember him leading at the Chair earlier in the race and looking great :(

Must make myself more clear next time sorry :nuts:

Oh yes Challenger. Great horse who had the King George in the bag. It was easier to win than to lose shrug::

Thats the one, I think that's where ole Harchibald got his inspiration from. Although I don't think Harchibald is ungenuine, just has one telling burst of speed and thats all. Whereas Challenger was a right rogue!

Originally posted by montyracing2@Apr 5 2008, 11:14 AM
Kauto Star comes across as Achilles to Denman's - Hector.

Overall, KS has been a privelege to watch. Thursday's battle with Our Vic will surely go down as one of the best, if tragic - as with Achilles at Troy.

MR2
You've got me confused, monty - surely it must only be the other way around?

Hector was the Trojans' all conquering hero who was peerless in battle until Achilles - the young, Thessalian, hot-headed upstart - came along. After many years of battle on the plains of Troy, Achilles killed Hector in a duel that came about in a fit of rage and grief after Hector had slain his lifelong friend and alleged lover, Patrocles.

It was Hector who was the well established and widely feared warrior who only met his match when the young and tempestuous Achilles appeared on the scene and eventually was responsible for Hector's death.

Back