I Know We Like The Champions But...

Rooster Booster over hurdles and the moody L'Aventure always makes me smile a bit like Carly's Quest used too.

I must admit, it was very interesting to watch the pony sized Chelsea Harbour negotiate his way around Aintree yesterday. You could see that every fence was an effort for him and a combination of that and the jockey's admission that he made too much use of him made his effort a very commendable one, in my opinion.

There's a big handicap in that fella

Cyfor was pretty much a champion.
2 Paddy Powers and a Pillar and a festival win and over the big ones to name but a few

Not very imaginative, I know, but of horses currently racing, I like watching Denman and Curlin.

The point of this thread is to mention ordinary enough horses who are fun to watch in action...not just listing champions!!!!

Originally posted by Shadow Leader+Apr 5 2008, 11:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadow Leader @ Apr 5 2008, 11:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-montyracing2@Apr 5 2008, 11:14 AM
Kauto Star comes across as Achilles to Denman's - Hector.

Overall, KS has been a privelege to watch. Thursday's battle with Our Vic will surely go down as one of the best, if tragic - as with Achilles at Troy.

MR2
You've got me confused, monty - surely it must only be the other way around?

Hector was the Trojans' all conquering hero who was peerless in battle until Achilles - the young, Thessalian, hot-headed upstart - came along. After many years of battle on the plains of Troy, Achilles killed Hector in a duel that came about in a fit of rage and grief after Hector had slain his lifelong friend and alleged lover, Patrocles.

It was Hector who was the well established and widely feared warrior who only met his match when the young and tempestuous Achilles appeared on the scene and eventually was responsible for Hector's death.[/b][/quote]
Shads, your quite right in terms of mythological inaccuracy in my post comparing KS and DM to Achilles and Hector, respectively. I would never wish either to come to real harm and was simply drawing a parallel in what has been a momentous steeplechasing clash and that there is always the 'tragedy of losing' for one of the combatents.

KS's arrogance (Achilles) towards the fences compared with DM's might (Hector) will, forever, be a highlight of this past season.

Just to bring the Trojan tale to the fore, I've backed a few wooden horses recently!

MR2

hmmmmm - non "top-class" horses that I enjoy watching... thats a toughie!!

:rolleyes:

Ive fallen hook line and sinker for Buena Vista (sp!) because hes lovely looking - but there are so many that I like watching, its really hard to narrow it down!

sufficient to say that I enjoy watching any horse that enjoys its racing.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Apr 6 2008, 12:45 AM
...a duel that came about in a fit of rage and grief after Hector had slain his lifelong friend and alleged lover, Patrocles.
Shadz,

you've got to stop believing what you read in the NOTW! Far from being some oiled up Greek nancy boy, Patroclus was in actual fact a tough as teak staying handicapper, with a particular penchant for Pontefract. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Bobbyjo@Apr 6 2008, 10:07 PM
The point of this thread is to mention ordinary enough horses who are fun to watch in action...not just listing champions!!!!

OK then. Drunken Disorderly. He makes me laugh

Tho I bet his owner doesn't when he gets the training bills - oooopps!

Back