If it's Thursday...

trackside528

At the Start
Eight races and not a handicap in sight, a cracking novice hurdle and an interesting conditions chase - who doesn't love Thurles?

Some might even say it's all-weather racing at its best! :D

Will post thoughts on the card later. Any fancies?

I would not be keen for Quiscover Fontaine to over do the hold up tactics tomorrow.

Given the Racing Post still refuses to do spotlights for all but the biggest Irish races, I took the liberty of doing my own version of them for the Michael Purcell tommorrow (had a bit of time on my hands for once this afternoon!).

3.25 Michael Purcell Memorial Novice Hurdle (2m4f)

Caim Hill: Progressive sort who won an ordinary novice hurdle at Galway in September before picking up right where he left off when dead-heating with John Kiely’s On The Way Out over 2m6f at Clonmel three weeks ago. On The Way Out is a decent yard-stick (rated 128) to rate the form and Caim Hill’s run suggests he is still on the upgrade, with further improvement likely given that Phillip Fenton’s charge is likely to strip fitter for his Clonmel effort, his first run in five months. The drop down in trip is unlikely to inconvenience the son of Deploy and with the prospect of further improvement the forecast 6/1 is appealing.

Quiscover Fontaine: Represents the all-conquering Willie Mullins team and it was interesting to hear his trainer mention him as a possible for the Festival (though his participation here surely puts paid to any such ambitions). The son of Antartique looks another progressive sort for his trainer, with the step up in trip likely to bring about further improvement. That said, he hasn’t achieved nearly as much over hurdles as a number of his rivals and this undoubtedly represents a major step up in class. Though further improvement is likely, it’s very hard to recommend backing a horse that beat the 101-rated Alice Brady’s Call by 1 ½ lengths last time out (admittedly giving away 10lbs) at forecast odds in a race of this quality.

The Bishop of Looney: Something of a surprise winner of a Grade 3 novice hurdle at Cork in December, chased home by Part Presenting and Pomme Tieppy that day. That was over 3m, however, and everything about the horse suggests he is a thorough stayer. Whilst the drop back to 2m4f doesn’t look ideal tomorrow, he remains a bright prospect when the emphasis is on stamina.

Byrnes Cross: Looked a potentially decent prospect over hurdles when landing a Limerick bumper, but Patrick Sinnott has thrown the son of Beneficial in at the deep end on his hurdling debut and it is hard to see him getting involved.

Clan Tara: Tough, consistent sort who arguably boasts the pick of the form on display over hurdles. Form of Navan win has since been boosted significantly by Head of the Posse and ran a fine race when going down by 2 lengths conceding 10lbs to Willie Mullins’ bright prospect The Midnite Club over 3 miles at Fairyhouse last time. However, Paul Nolan’s probably ideally would prefer a slightly stiffer test than the one he will encounter tomorrow, and there must be a fear that he may be caught out for pace by one or two tomorrow.

Glenquest: No chance.

Oscar Dan Dan: Decent bumper winner who has fluctuated between 2m and 3m – hardly surprising given his trainer - since running out a most promising winner of a Punchestown maiden hurdle (beating On The Way Out). Put up a somewhat encouraging display, however, at Leopardstown last time over 2m4f, keeping on one-paced for third behind Roberto Goldback and Weapon’s Amnesty. Considering his trainer felt he would come on for the run on that occasion (and that he was given a ride to match), there is every chance he will improve, though whether he ever fulfills his early season promise remains up in the air at this juncture.

Donna’s Palm: Taken at face value, his second to Hurricane Fly in the Royal Bond would make him a proverbial ‘good thing’ for a race of this nature. That race was run at a farcical pace, however, and the form consequently should be treated with caution, especially considering both Mullins horses have probably improved significantly since that day. On the other hand, the Noel Meade-trained son of Great Palm is certainly better than he showed at Leopardstown. While it was somewhat reassuring to see him run a decent race at Punchestown behind Mikael D’Haguenet, he was only ¾ of a length in front of distinctly average maiden Foster’s Cross. Whilst the step up in trip is likely to bring about improvement, he will need to step up significantly if he is to go close tomorrow.

Healy’s Bar: This son of Beneficial ran a cracking race to chase home the improving Lurgan at Cork last time in receipt of 3lbs. That was over 2m6f on atrotious ground though, and he ran as if a step up in trip would not go amiss that day. In the circumstances the drop in trip combined with the tighter track hardly look ideal tomorrow and Oliver McKiernan’s charge may just lack the pace of some of his rivals.

Afasheen: Useful mare given conditions to suit. However, soft ground looks far from ideal and Jessica Harrington’s mare strikes as one that may come good on better ground in the spring.

SP: Quiscover Fontaine 11/8, Caim Hill 5/1, Donna's Palm 5/1, Clan Tara 11/2, Healy's Bar 8/1, Oscar Dan Dan 8/1, The Bishop Looney 14/1, Afasheen 16/1, Byrnes Cross, 20/1, Glenquest 25/1.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Cracking race for a quiet Thursday. I'll be watching Donna's Palm in the market tomorrow morning.

I have a feeling it'll be akin to watching a barge.

Clan Tara and Caim Hill are the two that interest me (probably E/W). I'll be watching Oscar Dan Dan in the market as well.

Last edited:
I had been following Caim Hill but was pleasantly surprised to see him get up for a dead heat in a graded race last time out after a lay-off. As well as being fitter, the drier ground tomorrow is also likely to be a help.

All the same, I think you're being a bit hard on Donna's Palm. OK, the Fairyhouse race was run at a very slow pace but he had the kick to finish in front of Cousin Vinny that day and certainly has a touch of class.

Did Cooldine win this race last year?

I like Here Come's Sally in the first to over turn the Mullins favourite.

Cooldine won the novice hurdle last year alright, Gal. Kazal the year before as well if I recall.

I'm currently debating whether Carthalawn is a wheelbarrow job at 11/8.

Bugger with Here Comes Sally. Think she had that won....oh well.

Will take on Carthalawn with Tumbling Dice.

Gave it a good ride alright Gal. Race might have come too soon for Carthalawn though, in fairness to the winner, Carthalawn doesn't look to have done too much wrong.

Good result for me in the novice hurdle with Clan Tara. First three home all look cracking prospects given fences and a trip. Only slightly dissapointing aspect was that so many of the principles were beaten long before the straight. Might do those spotlight jobs more often - helps with my punting I reckon.

Given the Racing Post still refuses to do spotlights for all but the biggest Irish races, I took the liberty of doing my own version of them for the Michael Purcell tommorrow (had a bit of time on my hands for once this afternoon!).

3.25 Michael Purcell Memorial Novice Hurdle (2m4f)

Caim Hill: Progressive sort who won an ordinary novice hurdle at Galway in September before picking up right where he left off when dead-heating with John Kiely’s On The Way Out over 2m6f at Clonmel three weeks ago. On The Way Out is a decent yard-stick (rated 128) to rate the form and Caim Hill’s run suggests he is still on the upgrade, with further improvement likely given that Phillip Fenton’s charge is likely to strip fitter for his Clonmel effort, his first run in five months. The drop down in trip is unlikely to inconvenience the son of Deploy and with the prospect of further improvement the forecast 6/1 is appealing.

Quiscover Fontaine: Represents the all-conquering Willie Mullins team and it was interesting to hear his trainer mention him as a possible for the Festival (though his participation here surely puts paid to any such ambitions). The son of Antartique looks another progressive sort for his trainer, with the step up in trip likely to bring about further improvement. That said, he hasn’t achieved nearly as much over hurdles as a number of his rivals and this undoubtedly represents a major step up in class. Though further improvement is likely, it’s very hard to recommend backing a horse that beat the 101-rated Alice Brady’s Call by 1 ½ lengths last time out (admittedly giving away 10lbs) at forecast odds in a race of this quality.

The Bishop of Looney: Something of a surprise winner of a Grade 3 novice hurdle at Cork in December, chased home by Part Presenting and Pomme Tieppy that day. That was over 3m, however, and everything about the horse suggests he is a thorough stayer. Whilst the drop back to 2m4f doesn’t look ideal tomorrow, he remains a bright prospect when the emphasis is on stamina.

Byrnes Cross: Looked a potentially decent prospect over hurdles when landing a Limerick bumper, but Patrick Sinnott has thrown the son of Beneficial in at the deep end on his hurdling debut and it is hard to see him getting involved.

Clan Tara: Tough, consistent sort who arguably boasts the pick of the form on display over hurdles. Form of Navan win has since been boosted significantly by Head of the Posse and ran a fine race when going down by 2 lengths conceding 10lbs to Willie Mullins’ bright prospect The Midnite Club over 3 miles at Fairyhouse last time. However, Paul Nolan’s probably ideally would prefer a slightly stiffer test than the one he will encounter tomorrow, and there must be a fear that he may be caught out for pace by one or two tomorrow.

Glenquest: No chance.

Oscar Dan Dan: Decent bumper winner who has fluctuated between 2m and 3m – hardly surprising given his trainer - since running out a most promising winner of a Punchestown maiden hurdle (beating On The Way Out). Put up a somewhat encouraging display, however, at Leopardstown last time over 2m4f, keeping on one-paced for third behind Roberto Goldback and Weapon’s Amnesty. Considering his trainer felt he would come on for the run on that occasion (and that he was given a ride to match), there is every chance he will improve, though whether he ever fulfills his early season promise remains up in the air at this juncture.

Donna’s Palm: Taken at face value, his second to Hurricane Fly in the Royal Bond would make him a proverbial ‘good thing’ for a race of this nature. That race was run at a farcical pace, however, and the form consequently should be treated with caution, especially considering both Mullins horses have probably improved significantly since that day. On the other hand, the Noel Meade-trained son of Great Palm is certainly better than he showed at Leopardstown. While it was somewhat reassuring to see him run a decent race at Punchestown behind Mikael D’Haguenet, he was only ¾ of a length in front of distinctly average maiden Foster’s Cross. Whilst the step up in trip is likely to bring about improvement, he will need to step up significantly if he is to go close tomorrow.

Healy’s Bar: This son of Beneficial ran a cracking race to chase home the improving Lurgan at Cork last time in receipt of 3lbs. That was over 2m6f on atrotious ground though, and he ran as if a step up in trip would not go amiss that day. In the circumstances the drop in trip combined with the tighter track hardly look ideal tomorrow and Oliver McKiernan’s charge may just lack the pace of some of his rivals.

Afasheen: Useful mare given conditions to suit. However, soft ground looks far from ideal and Jessica Harrington’s mare strikes as one that may come good on better ground in the spring.

SP: Quiscover Fontaine 11/8, Caim Hill 5/1, Donna's Palm 5/1, Clan Tara 11/2, Healy's Bar 8/1, Oscar Dan Dan 8/1, The Bishop Looney 14/1, Afasheen 16/1, Byrnes Cross, 20/1, Glenquest 25/1.

As good a preview as you'd read anywhere..nice one trackside:cool: Hope you made a decent few quid on the winner.

Was thinking that turning in, Bobbyjo!

To be honest I was hoping the Mullins horse would be a bit shorter and make the market. Ended up backing the winner and Caim Hill (one of a few of the fancied ones that ran like a drain).

Thanks for the kind words all of you BTW, will try to do it a bit more often!

Back