I'm trying to understand Betfair backing

montyracing2

At the Start
This morning on Betfair, to back Calatagan to win showed 30/1 with a market depth of £28.

I thought this meant there was £28 on offer to take out of the market.

Nevertheless I staked £2 to return £60, believing that my bet would remain unmatched for a while at least. To my pleasant surprise, it was matched immediately but this indicates that I don't understand what 'market depth' means.

Can anyone help me with this confusion?

MR2

It is the other way round MR2. There is £28 available that has already been laid.

If you had staked £30 then £2 of that would have been unmatched, at least temporarily.

£28 on the blue or back side means a stake of £28 can be placed at the price in this case 29/1 30.0. £28 on the pink of lay side means you must lay a bet of £28 so would require £28 x 29/1 (30.0) = £812.

If you want more than £28 at 30 than the the £28 will match instantly and the remainder of your bet will jump to the front of the queue at the pink or lay side.

Nope, still learning the ropes. I was having loads of internet probs as well. However, I covered my stake with a place as well so, small profit made.

If you were watching the race live when would you have laid off?

MR2

Nope, still learning the ropes. I was having loads of internet probs as well. However, I covered my stake with a place as well so, small profit made.

If you were watching the race live when would you have laid off?

MR2

Good luck with Betfair MR2..it's the best of the lot once you master the basics. Could I recommend that you read "Lay Back and Think of Winning" by Nigel Paul and you should also read "Betfair for Dummies" (no offence intended :)). I found both of these really helpful when I first signed up for Betfair. You'll be flying by Cheltenham in March..enjoy:whistle:

If you click on Extras on the dark blue bar, you should get up a page which gives you tips on how to use the Betfair site - it's well worth reading esp on betting in running

It's worth hunting about on the site for advice, try first by clicking on 'horse-racing' and then eventually you will get to Betfair / Education which has detailed advice on how to use all the features -it's very interesting.

They don't make it easy to find these things but they are there on the site if you look for them! They also offer seminars in local centres, esp in London

I actually quite Betfair radio. I always have it on when I'm watching the racing at home.

If you listen to Timeform Radio (powered by Betfair), you'll get some excellent advice too....

Cheltenham Radio is generally fairly good as well on racedays, though last Saturday I heard some numpty shiting on about Pettifour like he was Pegasus...

Oh wait... :D

PS. never had you down as a northerner, Rory!

Cheltenham Radio is generally fairly good as well on racedays, though last Saturday I heard some numpty shiting on about Pettifour like he was Pegasus...

Oh wait... :D

PS. never had you down as a northerner, Rory!
You have to keep the faith (he said, having torn up his A/P docket); note use of the word docket to betray origins.

Cheltenham radio on racedays brings about its own problems. Beside the fact that I cannot understand why anyone wants to have the likes of Luke Harvey and other drivel being piped into their earholes for 5 hours solid, the users of this service wander around the enclosures like zombies, eyes either wild and staring or glazed over entirely with no awareness of their immediate surroundings, their senses battered into submission by the endless supply of opinion.

Absolutely, UG. :lol:

Then they have the gall to subject the rest of us to it on the run up to the racing when you're trying to sort your own thoughts out. Admittedly they sometimes do a couple of useful interviews, but on the whole it is just irritating drivel.

Apparently we all have to be hyped up to attain the maximum from "the experience". I just find it annoying and start to enjoy "the experience" when they shut up.

There was a time when I would have been very glad to have access to informed comment and opinion while at the races. It suits a lot of people. Nowadays I'm too old and cranky to cope with a second voice in my ear. The one I've already acquired demands my complete attention and gets cross when interrupted. :blink:

Back