Imperial Commander

Aragorn

At the Start
One of my favourite horses in training especially after he won the Ryanair last year and made Cheltenham for me.

However, why does Twiston Davies insist on trying to make him a 3 mile/Gold Cup horse? This horse does not get 3m. Last year in the King George he travelled beautifully up until 3 out and then folded. Similar story at Punchestown. Yes Haydock is a tight track, but so is Kempton. He won't get home.

Come on Nigel see sense and keep this fella at 2m4f and be inventive, there is a 2m3f chase at Ascot next week, ideal starting point, the John Durkan is over 2m4f is it not? Then give him a break for a spring campaign and run him in the Ascot 2m5f chase Kauto and Voy Por have won in recent seasons then on to the Ryanair and Melling chases. The programme is there now for the intermediate chasers yet he seems intent on getting this horse beat!! Over 2m4f I firmly believe this horse is probably the best in the UK. Over 3m he barely makes the top ten. He has no chance against Kauto.

I find it hard to believe that a horse that can be so strong at the finish over 20 and 21f at Cheltenham, won't prove effective at 3m when he's right. He's a horse that has run some absolute shockers in his time, and I wonder if some sort of physical problem is to blame. His novice hurdle run at Aintree behind Chief Dan George suggests he should really stay.

Last 4 runs at 21f or less: 1111
Last 4 runs at more than 21f: 346PU

That suggests categorically he does not stay. If I could be bothered I would post up all the in running comments but he travels well over 24f to 2 or 3 our every time then weakens. He travels so strongly at 2m4f that he gives the impression he stays but he just doesn't. Twiston Davies should work that out and give up. There is no shame in having the champion horse at the intermediate distance.

Agree 100%. I'm a firm believer that Imperial Commander does not stay 3 miles. Regardless of what angle you look at HE DOES NOT STAY! As mentioned above there are plenty of top quality races at 2m4/5f that he should be being aimed at, he could indeed run a quite a sequence if campaigned correctly.

I'm happy to be in the minority on this, it could help with the price! Under the right circumstances, I'd have no problems backing him again over 3m.

davidjohnson

Since my previous post I have been having thoughts that 3 miles around Haydock may just be within his reach. I'm actually surprised that Kauto is starting out at Haydock as since they made the alterations to the track he has never looked happy there. The old track with its galloping nature and drop fences saw Kauto put in one of his most impressive performances (his 1st run in the Betfair Chase), since the track became sharper and now has its portable fences he hasnt looked anywhere near as comfortable. Will this suit Imp Comm? I'm still nowhere near convinced but it may be his best chance.

What do you consider the right circumstances DJ?

When he tried it in the king george the yard was bang out of form he tried it again on bottomless ground at punchestown(he should not have run) if he is ever going to get the trip it will be at haydock

The betfair chase is pretty close to meeting the conditions. Particularly regarding the time of the year and stable form.

Haydock has changed again this season due to the installation of the new sprint track and is tighter than a dog track now.

A tight track will not suit Imperial Commander. He is a strong galloper.

I take the points about Stable form and I can see the case for him staying, I thought he would last year, but once bitten twice shy and I just can't have him over the distance.

My advice would be to back him and sit with your finger on the lay button and press it at 3 out. If you have the software, green it up and be happy with the smaller profit. Kauto will glide past him at two out.

I think Imperial Commander is a little over hyped and will always be in trouble when meeting the very best at any trip in my opinion.

A tight track will not suit Imperial Commander. He is a strong galloper.

I take the points about Stable form and I can see the case for him staying, I thought he would last year, but once bitten twice shy and I just can't have him over the distance.

My advice would be to back him and sit with your finger on the lay button and press it at 3 out. If you have the software, green it up and be happy with the smaller profit. Kauto will glide past him at two out.

Kauto did glide past him but I stand corrected. The horse stays 3m. They went a good gallop all the way and Twiston-Davies has to go the Gold Cup route.

I'm now totally convinced Pricewise's tips are based on information and not form. I admire IC but couldn't envisage him getting that close to Kauto Star.

I didn't have a bet in the race but I'm pleased to aftertime that I got 17/2 Albertas run and had it in an ew dble with Lysander.

He has to enter calculations if his prep is right and I'm not sure taking in the King George would be ideal. His best chance would be if they went straight there but not sure it's Twister's style to do that. Hard to be sure until we see what Kauto Star does at Kempton as I think there is a likelihood he was some 7/8 lb below his best today. I'm certainly not looking to be backing him for the race at the moment.

gutted IC lost. Thought Brennan was amazing on the horse and was convinced he won?? Paddy is my fav jock at the moment, hungry for anything he gets

NTD has shut a few people up on here yes?

Last edited:
Mirror image, the actual print is not available until tomorrow :ninja:

Dead heat ?

12106.jpg

Back