Imperial Commander

If that's the photo from the RP site, I believe it's a photo of the photo put up on course, hence why it's poor quality and the line isn't straight.

The source will be a multi-megapixel photo where it will no doubt be clear when zoomed in far enough.

I can't understand why they can't release it, though.

Undoubtedly he is top class but Haydock must be about KS's least favourite track nowadays and I would expect him to confirm the form comfortably at Kempton where he is peerless.

Undoubtedly he is top class but Haydock must be about KS's least favourite track nowadays and I would expect him to confirm the form comfortably at Kempton where he is peerless.
The notion that somehow Haydock puts Kauto Star on the back foot against the likes of Imperial Commander and Notre Pere is errant nonsense. Bar last year's shemozzle, Kauto Star's record there is faultless, and he has run close to his very best form there on each occasion. In fact the average of his TF performance ratings when running at Haydock is marginally better that when he's won his King Georges.

185/6 for his last Gold Cup win. Of all his victories that race had the most solid look to it. The beaten horses were of higher class than all his King George opponents and so i'd only hazard a guess at 180+ for all his Kempton successes.

Haydock? 177/8 for 07 when Exotic Dancer was too close for a 180 mark. And probably the same story for yesterday.

Kauto's best performance at Haydock was his first Betfair Chase victory when the course was still of the galloping nature. Since the change in configuration he has been less impressive but even a less than impressive Kauto is better than almost everything else in training.

Personally I thought his run yesterday was all we could expect under the circumstances, he was never going to win going away, and he is sure to improve come King George time.

NTD should look for an alternative xmas target for Imperial Commander, 3 miles at Kempton will not suit.

Kauto's best performance at Haydock was his first Betfair Chase victory when the course was still of the galloping nature. Since the change in configuration he has been less impressive but even a less than impressive Kauto is better than almost everything else in training.

That's the nub really. His Timeform performance rating for the 2006 race was 176. His rating for 2007 was only 1lb lower. I'd imagine (with apologies to DJ) that they will rate him close to 175 again for this years win. While that is lower than the 181 he received for the Gold Cup, it compares very well with the ratings of 172, 176 & 175 he has achieved in consecutive years at Kempton. He is, in fact, exceptionally consistent and adaptable to conditions.

Indeed he does have - and I suggest he is also very good at posting arrant nonsense although his English is errant. Mr de Largy seems of the " if you don't agree with me your view must be rubbish "school of poster

Kauto Star's first and easy Haydock win was over the old fences in 2006 when the course evidently suited him much better than now .

As much as I loved Exotic Dancer he got far closer to beating him at Haydock than anywhere else in 2007 and was promptly beaten out of sight at Kempton

Last year KS was way below form .

This year he scrapes home from IC .

I think he is a much better horse at Kempton and Cheltenham and I expect him to show that again at Christmas .

Indeed he does have - and I suggest he is also very good at posting arrant nonsense although his English is errant.

In other words his views are abhorrent, and far from current?

Mr de Largy seems of the " if you don't agree with me your view must be rubbish "school of poster

Much like yourself, Ardross dear!! :D

Although I did quite like 'arrant nonsense' line for a while....I think it's maybe getting a little clichéd now!!

Your correction of my English would be a nice touch if you could spell my name correctly Ardross.

What you have written in your previous post is clearly untrue, as I'm basing my argument around an established set of parameters whereas you're merely blowing smoke. Your knowledge of the formbook is laughable (cf your bizarre assertions about Franchoek, apparently based on how you felt while watching a race, rather than any academic measurement of merit). You may well find that some people find your quasi-authoritative posts impressive, but they actually make you look a bit of a tit, to use a technical term.

Last edited:
Let's keep it on topic lads.

Walsh was pretty concerned before the race that it would be the sticky ground more than anything else that might be the primary cause for his defeat.

Your correction of my English would be a nice touch if you could spell my name correctly Ardross.

What you have written in your previous post is clearly untrue, as I'm basing my argument around an established set of parameters whereas you're merely blowing smoke. Your knowledge of the formbook is laughable (cf your bizarre assertions about Franchoek, apparently based on how you felt while watching a race, rather than any academic measurement of merit). You may well find that some people find your quasi-authoritative posts impressive, but they actually make you look a bit of a tit, to use a technical term.

Clearly untrue ? - referring to you as regarding abuse as a subsitute for argument ? I think not . Hence , you now feel the need to descend to yet further invective .

There is a sad degree of arrogance about those involved in the racing press no matter at how lowly a level , that their opinions are superior to those of the rest of us . I don't agree and no matter how many abusive posts you make I still will not do so .

IMO , KS is a much better horse away from Haydock . The fact that others have rated his performances differently leads me to say so what - ratings are simply personal opinions translated into figures.

His performances compared to those he has beaten or lost to at Haydock speak for themselves.

If that's the photo from the RP site, I believe it's a photo of the photo put up on course, hence why it's poor quality and the line isn't straight.

The source will be a multi-megapixel photo where it will no doubt be clear when zoomed in far enough.

I can't understand why they can't release it, though.

They claimed tecnical issues, with only computer print outs available on the day. The print is apparently now available.

I never thought that Kauto had lost it, but my immediate impression was that it could be a dead heat. It seems to me from the available evidence that Kauto indeed won by a slender margin... even IC's connections aren't contesting this. They simply wanted to see the print - which seems entirely reasonable.

Last edited:
Like Ardross, I have always had a niggling feeling that Kauto Star underperforms at Haydock.

Like Ardross, I feel that his run at the weekend backs this assertion up, as it is highly unlikely that the two horses are as good as on another. And I say this as a man who is a big Imperial Commander fan, who backed him yesterday and is sitting on an ante-post voucher for the King George.

Like Ardross, I have always had a niggling feeling that Kauto Star underperforms at Haydock.

Like Ardross, I feel that his run at the weekend backs this assertion up, as it is highly unlikely that the two horses are as good as on another. And I say this as a man who is a big Imperial Commander fan, who backed him yesterday and is sitting on an ante-post voucher for the King George.

Indeed. This was no doubt IC's best chance of finishing in front of Kauto this season.

The owner has suggested will have 1 more run before Cheltenham. No decision on the King George has been made yet. He says they need 12 weeks to get him back fresh and in peak condition.

I do agree with Ardross though KS is a different horse come Dec they always leave plenty to work on to get him spot on.

I think KS will be too good for IC this year come March. But IC is only going to get better and better could be his turn 2011

Back