In-the-saddle interviews. Any use?

krizon

At the Start
We've been debating (on another forum) the usefulness of in-the-saddle interviews with returning jocks after Choc Thornton's decision to decline to give these at Cheltenham (should he merit one, of course!). There's been the usual expression of 'disappointment' from the media bodies involved, but I see the RP online is currently running a poll as to whether people think they have any merit. So far 76% think they do not.

Personally, I find them useless - especially because the 'insight' usually consists of some gurning C-list presenter asking, "So how does it feeeeel to win a race like that?" How they all aren't told to stop being so ridiculous, I've no idea. I also think that it's discourteous to not let the pilot talk to the owner/s and trainer first, then the broadcaster's rep. Even if the jockey reports that the horse did better than expected, surely that's something you, the knowledgeable viewer, will have worked out for yourself?

Anyone like these?

Not much use I’d agree. At least they don’t do the interviews on horseback like they do in the US. Although I wouldn’t mind seeing someone like Tommo or Down have a go at that!

There is inevitably not much worth hearing, we shouldn’t really expect otherwise. One of these days we might be surprised by something close to the meaning of life wrenched from the monosyllabic exchange, but somehow I doubt it.

Some jockeys are better than others in this situation and thats to be expected I think. I dont mind them depending on who is being interviewed. It can add to the occasion on a big day if the jockey involved is up for it though some are more reserved characters of course and the interview then does not work.

No, I don't think that they serve any useful purpose. I've never yet heard a jockey say anything insightful immediately after a race.

Last edited:
To me they are not intended to get anything insightful out of the jockey. It's more about entertainment.

Its supposed to be fun sometimes!

They're bollocks. Apart form anything else, the trainer/owner should be the people to hear the first things the jockey has to say. It's almost as though the TV producers are trying to get daft, heat of the moment, adrenaline-fuelled comments straight after pulling up. Fair play to Choc, I say.

They're bollocks.
Can't disagree with that given the current execution of the practice - the questions are so inane that the first reaction of most jocks must be to lamp the interviewer, and with good cause. It works in the US and Australia because both the media and the participants realise that the PR such interviews give the sport is (although not crucial) beneficial to the sport in a scenario where it is, to all intents and purposes, publicly owned.

Apart form anything else, the trainer/owner should be the people to hear the first things the jockey has to say.
This, however, is bollocks, although it's the most common argument put forward. If owners and trainers object to the public knowing what a jockey has to say regarding a winning ride, then they are showing extreme contempt for those who do most to support the sport. They have more exclusive access to the jockey and will get a full and detailed debrief within seconds of any interview. What's the harm?

Apart from when I am actually at the races when there is no chance of hearing anything I watch in the pub, when there is no chanceof hearing anything. So no: no value what so ever.

This, however, is bollocks, although it's the most common argument put forward. If owners and trainers object to the public knowing what a jockey has to say regarding a winning ride, then they are showing extreme contempt for those who do most to support the sport. They have more exclusive access to the jockey and will get a full and detailed debrief within seconds of any interview. What's the harm?

Speaking as someone who values the 'good' immediate post-race interviews, I'd have to say if I owned a fancied runner, I'd be getting a message to the jockey beforehand to tell him to mind what he says if he does win!

I can't have that at all - as far as I'm concerned, your view is bollocks! The connections must be first to hear anything about the horse - after all, the owners pay fortunes to have their horse trained and the trainers spend their life grafting to get the horse there in the first place. As I mentioned, it's as though the TV producers want a jockey to be caught out saying something daft, or giving an opinion that maybe shouldn't be public for the time being, as they are still on an adrenaline and winning high.

Please don't be giving me that crap about punters doing most to support the sport either- I didn't think I'd hear that rubbish coming from you to be honest and I'm very disappointed with that. I do wish punters would get over themselves with this opinion that they finance the sport - without owners, trainers, jockeys and stable staff they wouldn't have a sport on which to bet in the first place. It is that same group of owners, trainers, jockeys and stable staff who are shelling out and/or grafting long before these sainted punters "who do most to support the sport" are even out of their pits in the morning to read the morning paper.

They probably don't do much for the racing enthusiast but they may add something for the casual observer. Can't really see what all the fuss is about. For me more than anything it has shown up inadequecies of Thornton - it is hardly as if Jeremy Paxman is approaching with the microphone is it? Perhaps slightly different if you tried interviewing a jockey who fell at the last when twenty lengths clear.

DO: name one 'good' saddle interview! I'm with Shadz on this and the fuss, Tree, is that the BBC is not happy with Robert Thornton declining to talk about the race and the horse's performance before telling connections. The tail wants to wag the dog - not content with pre-race interviews by the mile - think of all the yard tours, trainer insights, preview nights and studio discussions ad nauseum about this festival, let alone all the parade-ring collaring before the races, and for God's sake! It's not as if we haven't heard every possible analysis of every possible scenario: broadcasters always stood back in the winner's enclosure long enough for the owner and trainer to hear a few words from their jockey. It's highly intrusive to barge your way in between them - who've bought the horse, kept in high-price training, paid a huge entry fee - and expect to hear the jockey's message first. Sod it, let the microphone wait for a couple of minutes. And please let someone half-sensible be on the interviewing end of it.

And why not interview the rider of the favourite who's just crashed out at the last, pray tell? Why not go up with a look of fake concern, and ask, "Well, Ruby, just how does it feel to lose the most prestigious prize today? You had it in the bag, and I thought you just put the horse a bit off its stride when - OWWW!" Now that might be worth watching.

I've already named one. Paddy Brennan after Imperial Commander skated up in the Mackeson last year.

Ruby after Denman's Hennessy this season would be another.

I'd say there's usually at least one good one every week, so long as the question isn't, "How are you feeling?"

I only heard one yesterday and that was AP's after the big race, and that was good. Likewise last week after Eric's Charm won at Newbury.

If this is only about Thornton then it really is a fuss about nothing. He must realise that in general those involved in National Hunt do a much better job than their Flat counterparts in selling the sport. What really does this lone stance achieve?

I would agree that at times some of the attempts to gain access to interviews in the actual unsaddling enclosure can appear to be rude and intrusive but that is a different story.

I can't have that at all - as far as I'm concerned, your view is bollocks! The connections must be first to hear anything about the horse - after all, the owners pay fortunes to have their horse trained and the trainers spend their life grafting to get the horse there in the first place. As I mentioned, it's as though the TV producers want a jockey to be caught out saying something daft, or giving an opinion that maybe shouldn't be public for the time being, as they are still on an adrenaline and winning high.

Please don't be giving me that crap about punters doing most to support the sport either- I didn't think I'd hear that rubbish coming from you to be honest and I'm very disappointed with that. I do wish punters would get over themselves with this opinion that they finance the sport - without owners, trainers, jockeys and stable staff they wouldn't have a sport on which to bet in the first place. It is that same group of owners, trainers, jockeys and stable staff who are shelling out and/or grafting long before these sainted punters "who do most to support the sport" are even out of their pits in the morning to read the morning paper.

Thank you. A view I have stated for years and have been shouted down for saying so...

It's always nice to know where you stand! :D

Excuse me ? Oi, what about those of us actually breeding the fecking things... without us, you don't have anything:p:p

Yes, yes - and the breeders!!!! As well as anyone else who break their backs grafting on a daily basis to keep these 'osses going and pour every last penny into them as well.....!

It's chicken and egg isn't it. The punter/owner/trainer/breeder/groom can't really function without the other, so I don't see the point it getting over excited about which role is more important and who contributes more.

Regarding jockey interviews immediately after the race, can't say I have a strong view, but I pay little attention to anything either jockeys or trainers say that is based on their opinion or interpretation.

Imo owners are taken for granted and deserve more consideration than they get.

I think it's more of chicken/pig and full breakfast scenario. The chicken (the punter) is involved but the pig (owner) is committed. However, like Mr Johnson I wouldn't give too much credence to what a jockey says straight after a race so I won't be getting too excited about it either.

Back