Interesting Looking Bumper

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Two winners carrying penalties, Swinbank runners, Alan and Ann, two from Michael Dods and, Border Reiver.

Border Reiver ran a nice race on debut, at Wetherby, when beaten a length into second place. Stepped up massively in class for his next effort, at Cheltenham, interestingly Richard Hughes rode, and he didn't run without credit, 9th. beaten 12 lengths but never really put into the race. Back down in class today and might be worth having a look.

I'd be interested to see how Charlie Tokyo gets on in the first race. A heavy ground winner off 92 on the flat, he probably improved on that in his three subsequent unplaced efforts.

It's a tough enough assignment first time out, with two decent, proven heavy ground national Hunt horses in opposition. Probably not a good betting proposition, but I'll probably back him anyway.

Mel. I notice an old favourite of mine, Best Prospect, is making his debut in that.

He'll enjoy the going but I'm not sure what he'll make of the obstacles.

Another interesting debutant in that race (and I cannot believe Colin hasn't mentioned it) is Best Prospect.

Starting 50 meters behind the winner didn't do him any favours either. Charlie Tokyo ran well enough but can't jump hurdles very well.

Colin as you mentioned Swinbank got an interesting one in the bump.

Key Decission is a nice horse but I've heard they are very worried about the ground and he wont be having an over strong ride.

Best Prospect would have won with a better ride, McGrath allowed the other horse to get back at him on the run in by getting to the front too soon. Maybe they should ask Jamie if he would consider riding Best Prospect over hurdles, the horse could have a good future.

rather see Richard Hughes on it if we're talking flat jockeys.

I think Jamie would have ridden it just like McGrath he seemed to on the flat alot.

Key Decision was anchored early on and pulled too hard.

Lie Forrit's inexperienced rider allowed Teenage Idol to lie in on him at one point and his horse got shuffled back before coming again under a punishing drive to take second, but the winner, who must definitely be useful, had flown.

I'll also be keeping an eye on the immense Emmenso, a distant third in the novice hurdle. He is a horse of Jack The Giant proportions and looked awkward and gangly most of the way. He showed plenty of resolution, however, and stayed on well up the straight. He might develop into something decent as he matures.

Graham Lee's been schooling for michael Dods, been really pleased with BP and he wanted to ride him but obviously couldn't, he was a tricky ride on the flat, and altho he coped ok with the ground I imagine he'll be much better on better ground.

They have quite a few bumper horses in the yard this year that they like, dont ask me which ones, im not that privialaged just yet!!!

Originally posted by Grey@Jan 11 2008, 08:31 PM

I'll also be keeping an eye on the immense Emmenso, a distant third in the novice hurdle. He is a horse of Jack The Giant proportions and looked awkward and gangly most of the way. He showed plenty of resolution, however, and stayed on well up the straight. He might develop into something decent as he matures.

Winner of a novice hurdle today at Hexham at 8/1.

Back