International Classifications

Guest_

At the Start
New Approach and Curlin shared top billing in the World Thoroughbred Rankings unveiled on Tuesday at a ceremony in London.
Crowned champion two-year-old at the end of 2007, the Jim Bolger-trained New Approach enjoyed a tremendous year finishing runner-up to Henrythenavigator in the English and Irish 2000 Guineas before winning the Vodafone Derby at Epsom.
That was a special performance from the Galileo colt but he perhaps topped it when running away with the Emirates Airline Champion Stakes at Newmarket in October.
American superstar Curlin peaked with his stunning performance in the Dubai World Cup at Nad Al Sheba in March. A year older than New Approach, Steve Asmussen's ace won three other Grade One events during the year but was beaten by Red Rocks when trying turf for the first time, and could only finish fourth to Raven's Pass in the Breeders' Cup Classic.
New Approach and Curlin earned a figure of 130, 1lb in front of John Gosden's Raven's Pass, who became the first British-trained winner in the Classic's history - and only the second European - when storming home under Frankie Dettori.
Unbeaten Arc heroine Zarkava is next in the list on a mark of 128, with Duke Of Marmalade on 127. Kentucky Derby winner Big Brown was given 125, the same as Ladbrokes St Leger and Breeders' Cup Turf hero Conduit and Henrythenavigator.
Top juvenile rating went to Aidan O'Brien's Mastercraftsman (122), winner of four of his five starts, with his sole defeat coming at Longchamp on Arc day. His conqueror Naaqoos was allotted a figure of 119.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008 WORLDTHOROUGHBREDRANKINGS(WTR)

2008 was another great year for international Flat racing, and one which will perhaps be best remembered for the emergence of three exceptional fillies, namely Zarkava (IRE) [128], Zenyatta (USA) [125] and Goldikova (IRE) [125].

ZARKAVA [128] emulated the achievement of the legendary French filly Allez France in winning the French Triple Crown for fillies, the Poule d’Essai des Pouliches, Prix de Diane and the Prix Vermeille but managed to do what Allez France narrowly failed to do, which was to win the Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe as a three year old and finish her career unbeaten, having been champion European juvenile filly in 2007. One has to go back to Bosra Sham [131] (1997) to find a higher rated filly and to Miesque [132] (1988) to find a higher rated French filly, and one has to wonder what Zarkava might have achieved in ratings terms had she met a higher calibre of opponent than the best of the 2008 crop.

GOLDIKOVA [125] is officially the best female miler since Ridgewood Pearl (126) (1995) and both fillies had the distinction of beating the colts in the Breeders’ Cup Mile, while ZENYATTA [125] remains unbeaten and is the highest rated North American filly since Azeri [125] (2002). Her season culminated in an impressive success in the Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic. Both Goldikova and Zenyatta remain in training in 2009 which is a very exciting prospect.

The year of the filly phenomenon extended to Japanese racing with two world class fillies vying for Horse of the Year honours in Japan. VODKA (JPN) [120] put up her best performance in the Yasuda Kinen over a mile and also won the Tenno Sho (Autumn), while DAIWA SCARLET (JPN) [119] ended an injury impaired season by also beating the colts in the Arima Kinen.

CURLIN (USA) [130] and NEW APPROACH (IRE) [130] share the accolade of top colts in the world during 2008.

CURLIN [130] improved his 2007 rating by one pound by winning the Dubai World Cup (sponsored by Emirates Airlines) impressively and going back to the United States to win the Stephen Foster Handicap in another great weight carrying performance. While his form dipped in quality thereafter he nonetheless ends the year the equal of Ghostzapper [130] (2004) and one pound higher than Invasor [129] (2006) by virtue of his early season exploits.

NEW APPROACH [130] achieved his rating in romping home in the Emirates Airline Champion Stakes and he joins an illustrious list of 3 year old colts to have achieved a rating of 130+ since the turn of the century, Sinndar [132] (2000), Point Given [130] (2001), Dalakhani [132] (2003), Alamshar [131] (2003) and Hurricane Run [130] (2005). He also emulated George Washington [127] (2006) by becoming top (or joint top) turf horse in the world as a three year old having been European champion juvenile the previous year.

Top sprinting honours were well contested in 2008. Hong Kong’s SACRED KINGDOM (AUS) [123] retained his mantle as top Turf Sprinter in the world but was joined on the same mark by North American non turf performer MIDNIGHT LUTE (USA) [123] who created history by becoming the first horse to win back to back Sentient Flight Breeders’ Cup Sprints. Prolific Group 1 winning Australian sprinters WEEKEND HUSSLER (AUS) [122] and APACHE CAT (AUS) [121] were only just behind in the rankings along with top European sprinter MARCHAND D’OR (FR) [121], who was assessed one pound above the unbeaten Hungarian trained three year old OVERDOSE (GB) [120].

RAVEN’S PASS (USA) [129] was a very progressive three year old who finally overcame his old rival (and prolific Group 1 winning miler) HENRYTHENAVIGATOR (USA) [125] in both the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (sponsored by Sony) over a mile and then on a synthetic surface over ten furlongs in the Breeders’ Cup Classic. He is second only to New Approach in the 3 year old Rankings. Top older turf miler in the world is the Hong Kong trained gelding GOOD BA BA (USA) [124], who was deeply impressive in the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile, while there were a number of impressive performances during the year from horses trained in South Africa, most notably POCKET POWER (SAF) [121], sprinter JJ THE JET PLANE (SAF) [120] and the filly SUN CLASSIQUE (AUS) [120].

DUKE OF MARMALADE (IRE) [127] took top honours among the older horses over 10-12f with impressive performances in the Prince of Wales’s Stakes and the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes (both at Ascot), while BIG BROWN (USA) [125] proved to be head and shoulders above a moderate crop of North American three year olds in winning the first two legs of the American Triple Crown.

Stablemates SEPTIMUS (IRE) [122] and YEATS (IRE) [122] (who created history in winning his third consecutive Ascot Gold Cup) shared the accolade of top older staying horse, and were joined on the same rating by the progressive three year old colt CONDUIT (IRE) [125] for his victory in the Ladbrokes St Leger. However, Conduit put up his best performance later over 12 furlongs when winning the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Turf.

I think Raven's Pass is a little unlucky to miss out. That said, I don't think he was a 4lb better horse than Henrythenavigator either.

Find it hard to believe that Midnight Lute is better than Marchand D'Or, Weekend Husstler, Apache Cat, Overdose and JJ. Was hardly the greatest BC Sprint he won and it was just about his only top run of the year.

BC dirt winners in general tend to be a little flattered as they tend to run to their extent, wire-to-wire so to speak, whereas European horses are not often asked to show their true game. Hence Midnight Lute’s (dirt performer) rating.

New Approach in the Champion Stakes was an exception where they used the race as a showcase to show us how good he is.

I don't agree with it but I'm presuming their basing it on the Breeders Cup. This is a case of them coming up with the figures to suit themselves rather than what the form showed.

Yeah looking at the race, he did beat him a comfortable enough near 2 lengths I suspose.

By Tom Peacock, PA Sport

Aidan O'Brien's Mastercraftsman was rated last year's top two-year-old in Europe but his mark of 122 was considerably lower than the one achieved by 2007 champion New Approach in the European Thoroughbred Racehorse Rankings.
The previous season's juveniles were generally regarded as an exceptional bunch, with Jim Bolger's subsequent Derby winner hitting the heights of 126, just ahead of Fast Company with an unprecedented five horses rated 120 or more - including the brilliant Raven's Pass.
There are three this time around from a verdict delivered by a collection of handicappers from across the continent who compile the rankings.
Mastercraftsman attained his rating from his Group One victory in the Phoenix Stakes and was ranked 3lb higher than Freddy Head's Naaqoos (119), despite a two-and-a-half-length beating in the Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere last October.
Senior Irish handicapper Garry O'Gorman said: "The best two-year-old performance of the year was by Mastercraftsman in the Phoenix Stakes but with a top mark of 122, the two-year-old crop in 2008 was not a vintage one."
Matthew Tester, the British Horseracing Authority's two-year-old handicapper, added: "The mark of 122 is unusually low and results from the lack of an outstanding performance over the year.
"The last time it was below 123 was in 2003 with Bago. His three-year-old career was impressive so it doesn't mean because we haven't an outstanding two-year-old that we will have a duff bunch of three-year-olds. Some will end up higher than their current ratings and we look forward to finding out which they are."
Another Irish horse was second on 121 in the shape of David Wachman's Bushranger, who landed the Prix Morny and Middle Park Stakes before finishing down the field in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile.
The best British-trained two-year-old was Crowded House on 120, a rating awarded by virtue of his impressive win in the Racing Post Trophy.
Tester continued: "The two 'wow' races for me were the Racing Post Trophy and the way Crowded House quickened away, and also Art Connoisseur (116) in the Coventry, where he beat five horses who ended up rated 116 or more.
"I spoke to Michael Bell last weekend and he told me he found the horse had cracked a bone, which he may have been suffering from at Newbury (in the Gimcrack) and maybe in the Phoenix Stakes.
"Michael says he's thriving and will go for a Guineas trial.
"I expect Mastercraftsman to become a multiple Group One winner but you've got to respect Crowded House.
"I spoke to (trainer) Brian Meehan's wife recently. She said Brian had been of the view to go for the Dante and then the Derby, but with the turn of foot he has showed, there's a growing pressure to go for the Guineas."
Gallagher, Finjaan, Lord Shanakill, Milanais, Sayif, Shaweel and the hot 1000 Guineas favourite and first filly to make the rankings, Rainbow View were all on 118.
Tester said: "Rainbow View always looked like being the one to beat and she got her rating from winning the Fillies' Mile.
"Her trainer John Gosden has described her as 'feisty' but we said similar things about New Approach last year. I am totally confident John will do a suitable job and I expect her to have a fantastic year."
O'Brien's Rip Van Winkle, many bookmakers' favourite for the 2000 Guineas, was down the pack on 115, the same mark achieved by second best filly Proportional and Breeders' Cup hero Donativum, who is a gelding.
"Aidan's usually right," said Tester. "He says Rip Van Winkle is a top-class horse and I could believe he'd be a superstar, but he's not yet."

I can find mention of only three UK trained horses in the two articles in Galileo's first post on this thread - Raven's Pass, Conduit and a historical reference to Bosra Sham. The rising class of racing in Asia, Australia and even South Africa might have something to do with it, plus Sheikh Mo's scattering of resources around the globe.

Or is it just a blip? Not only did Coolmore have an exceptional year but Jim Bolger as well. Irish stables won 29 of the 44 Gr1s in Ireland and the UK last season. That can hardly be expected to continue, but it might depend on how well all the investment gone into Darley pays off.

True enough, IS. It's little enough remarked in the UK the extent to which Godolphin/Sheikh Mo have diverted their resources elsewhere.

Bit sad that Chris Cook in the Guardian calls New Approach a "highly controversial Derby winner" in his piece on the rankings. Inaccurate and misleading at best.

Bit sad that Chris Cook in the Guardian calls New Approach a "highly controversial Derby winner" in his piece on the rankings. Inaccurate and misleading at best.

Too true! Nothing controversial at all about the colt winning the race. Bolger's statements in the run up to the race are of course another matter.

Don't get how winning 5 Group 1 wfa races (including 2 international rated sprint events as per the Global Sprint classifications) in the space of 13 weeks, walking past Takeover Target by almost 5 lengths, before that horse went to Singapore and won another international rated Group 1 event can rank you only 121lb.

Lucky as hell to finish third after the worst ride of all time in Hong Kong, yet still was less than a length behind Inspiration.

Not to mention Weekend Hussler winning 4 Group 1 races in the space of a couple of months.

I find it hard to give New Approach the title of World Champion based on two wins in awful Group 1s and the Derby particularly when connections blatently ducked out of the Arc and Breeders Cup Classic.

Ravens Pass for me.

Last edited:
I think New Approach deserved it on balance. The unbeaten filly no doubt performed best in the Arc and I wouldn’t call that performance a great one in a fairly modest renewal. (I’m pretty confident NA would have beaten her in that.) On the other hand, the Champion Stakes was very impressive in which NA was seen in another division to his opponents. The Derby was perhaps not great, but for the horse to win despite having his head near pulled off and being all but wrestled to the ground was admirable.

Hard to say Galileo, though it's disappointing NA didn't line up in the Arc.. What frustrated me about New Approach and Raven's Pass was the length of time it took connections to find out how to ride them properly.

I don't think they wanted to travel too much with him, he was/is a basket case. The U.K. was about as far as they where prepared to bring him.

I think New Approach deserved it on balance. The unbeaten filly no doubt performed best in the Arc and I wouldn’t call that performance a great one in a fairly modest renewal. (I’m pretty confident NA would have beaten her in that.) On the other hand, the Champion Stakes was very impressive in which NA was seen in another division to his opponents. The Derby was perhaps not great, but for the horse to win despite having his head near pulled off and being all but wrestled to the ground was admirable.

Saying he would have won the Arc is all well and good but he did not. I agree, I think he would have gone very close but he cannot get credit for that when he did not take part. It was not as if it was due to injury or anything.

The Champion Stakes was very impressive, but it needed to be that impressive given the standard of opposition.

It's not a slate on the horse, as I actually think he is a 130ish horse but like I said I cannot have him as horse of the year when the likes of Ravens Pass and Henry slug it out time and time again against the best including in America.

It's not a slate on the horse, as I actually think he is a 130ish horse but like I said I cannot have him as horse of the year when the likes of Ravens Pass and Henry slug it out time and time again against the best including in America.

I agree, but of course being horse of the year or world champion is a different thing than being the best actual animal out there. Ravens Pass would not have troubled NA in the Champion Stakes.

Saying he would have won the Arc is all well and good but he did not. I agree, I think he would have gone very close but he cannot get credit for that when he did not take part. It was not as if it was due to injury or anything.

The Champion Stakes was very impressive, but it needed to be that impressive given the standard of opposition.

I didn’t say he would have won the Arc, only that I was pretty confident he would have, which is not the same thing. I of course agree that we can’t give him credit (much less a rating) for a race that he didn’t take part in. Nevertheless the simple fact is that the Champion Stakes was rated better than the Arc at the time and the IC has agreed with that assessment (as do I).

No, they haven´t. Zarkava´s performance in the Arc is the best of the year, not the Champion states. With the 3 pounds allowance, Zarkava would have beaten New Approach in a race (based only in ratings) according to the IC. They consider the filly superior to the son of Galileo.

Back