Irish 1000 Guineas & Tattersalls Gold Cup

Back on track slightly, but Bolger has got Cuis Ghaire back in good form so why bottom her out again in soft/heavy ground?

She won't though but would have a fine chance in a matter of weeks at Royal Ascot to win a Group 1. She'd have more chance in the Oaks than this.

She won't though but would have a fine chance in a matter of weeks at Royal Ascot to win a Group 1. She'd have more chance in the Oaks than this.

A fair point I guess... I've given up wondering why Bolger does anything.

Poor Tattersalls Gold Cup, hard to believe there was not a horse in the UK or France to come over.

Think it looks a decent renewal myself; two genuine Group 1 animals in Casual Conquest and Lush Lashes, a potential Group 1 performer in Thewayyouare and a Group 2/3 horse in Famous Name.

Looks one to watch with interest to me rather than get involved in though. Would have serious doubts about both Casual Conquest and Lush Lashes on the ground, whilst none of Famous Name's form (though I thought he was given a very poor ride last time out) can bring me to back him at 3's, despite the ground being in his favour.

Think it looks a decent renewal myself; two genuine Group 1 animals in Casual Conquest and Lush Lashes, a potential Group 1 performer in Thewayyouare and a Group 2/3 horse in Famous Name.

Looks one to watch with interest to me rather than get involved in though. Would have serious doubts about both Casual Conquest and Lush Lashes on the ground, whilst none of Famous Name's form (though I thought he was given a very poor ride last time out) can bring me to back him at 3's, despite the ground being in his favour.

Famous Name all but won the French Derby. That's decent enough form.

I'm told a bright, sunny day is forecast for tommorrow. If so, the ground will surely be something nearing a gluepot by Sunday.

Really looking forward to this 1000 Guineas. Have backed Love Bird (think she will be well backed on the day) and have gone for another Wachman horse tonight in the shape of Chintz. Was most impressive when beating Lahaleeb at the Curragh last season and needs this ease in the ground. Ground was verging on Good To Firm last time at Leopardstown and she is a real Danehill Dancer filly who needs the bit of cut....20/1 is massive.

Super Sleuth has drifted out to be a corking each-way bet at 7/1 due to lemmings backing the unproven outsiders who's only credentials seem to be that they will enjoy conditions, well so will Super Sleuth. She seems to be improving with every run and hasn't had the best of rides or rub of the green in her last two runs and I find it very intriguing as to why this is Dettori's only ride on the Curragh. Not like him to go and ride one which isn't for Godolphin in Ireland on a Sunday afternoon. He also should have a better idea of how to ride her after he went a touch too soon in the Fred Darling. 7/1 just seems insane.

Pretty good performance from Again but can't help thinking this crop of 3 year old fillies are bobbins. Can't see any Halfway to Heaven or Peeping Fawn types in there myself.

Yes he is certainly the master there! Just went in again on Sesenta...
I was very sorry to see Lahaleeb beaten in the end, she is such a trier and she's run in quite a few now at top level

Last edited:
Well done to AGAIN, but what a boring bluddy race! Either Gamla Stan's right, and the field's very poor, or the ground absolutely sucked the life-force out of them from over a half-mile out. Crikey, they looked like riding school horses giving weekend riders a bit of a crank by then. Very disappointing, at least for me.

I'm afraid that's all too often the case in Graded races, esp G1s
And it would have meant a huge amount to all connections if she had managed to win it

You have to admire Ballydoyle - but you don't have to love them - and I don't.
It does get very boring, watching them rake in yet another G1. To me at least!

Back