Harbinger

At the Start
So who can we expect to see in this? Off the top of my head:

Delegator
Mastercraftsman
Arazan
Vocalised
Recharge

Meehan saying the ground was a little too fast today (yeah, I know) so Ascot would be a gamble on that score.

They'll be looking for decent compensation for Mastercraftsman. I reckon we'll see improvement on his Newmarket run. The race could be set up for him.

Good point Gareth - if they want cut the Curragh in May is much more likely than Ascot in mid June !

I think very over a mile.

Not to say he'll beat him but I wouldn't be surprised if Oxx has the 2 best milers in his yard.

How close to Sea The Stars do you think we can expect Arazan to be?

An interesting question. Going into the race I thought Arazan was the main hope and Kinane seemed to be being set up for Arazan rather than STS.

It's unlikely they will compete against each other as they want very different going.

I'm very sweet on Arazan. I'm also very sweet on STS (and even more so since Saturday).

Delegator could bid for Group One glory in the St James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot after finishing second in the stanjames.com 2000 Guineas.
The Craven Stakes winner found only Irish raider Sea The Stars too strong in the colts' Classic at Newmarket on Saturday.
"We knew that Delegator was a top-class horse, and he proved us right with his performance in the Guineas," said the Manton handler.
"He was beaten by a very good horse on the day and we have no complaints.
"No future plans have been finalised and he has come out of the race very well.
"It may be that the Irish Guineas may come a little too quick. After all, there was only a two-week gap between the Craven and the Guineas.
"We shall see how we go, but I would think the St James's Palace would be next on the agenda. It would be nice to see a drop of rain for the Royal meeting.
"I felt the fast ground at Newmarket was just against him in the closing stages on Saturday, and his ability to quicken would be helped by a slightly easier surface," the trainer told www.brianmeehanatmanton.com.

It would be nice to see a drop of rain for the Royal meeting.

No it f***ing wouldn't! Royal Ascot should be (and is, in my head at least!) synonymous with lovely sunny weather and the fast ground that goes with it. If your horse can't cope with that, don't aim him at it... in any case, they couldn't make the Ascot straight soft even if they wanted to :)

No it f***ing wouldn't! Royal Ascot should be (and is, in my head at least!) synonymous with lovely sunny weather and the fast ground that goes with it. If your horse can't cope with that, don't aim him at it... in any case, they couldn't make the Ascot straight soft even if they wanted to :)

Indeed ! Ascot has managed to be pretty quick during the Royal meeting even in crap summers .

From the RP:

Delegator likely to run in Irish 2,000 Guineas

BY RACINGPOST.COM STAFF
10.06AM 12 MAY 2009

DELEGATOR, second to Sea The Stars in the Stanjames.com 2,000 Guineas earlier this month, is likely to run in the Irish 2,000 Guineas according to trainer Brian Meehan.

The impressive Craven Stakes winner was sent off favourite for the Newmarket Classic and Meehan revealed the likelihood of firm ground at Royal Ascot would play a part in his decision to aim Delegator at the Boylesports-sponsored event.

He said: "Delegator has taken the Guineas very well and we would have to say that he is very likely to head for the Curragh, provided the ground is good.

"In addition to the fact he is in such good form, we have to consider that the Royal Ascot ground could get quite firm.

"We could find ourselves with no place to go if we wait for the middle of June and then find conditions don't suit."

I'm coming round to Arazan, although I'm loath to desert Mastercraftsman. Delegator should again be thereabouts. I'm undecided as yet.

Delegator is in a trick position in the probably needs a fashish surface to get home over a mile. But if it came up Good To Soft or softer he would surely struggle to get home over a mile particularly at a track like The Curragh.

Evasive a possible according to Stoute.

The racing post today reports that Evasive will not be supplemented for the race and instead goes straight to Royal Ascot.

Cashmans are offering odds of 5-2 Delegator, 4-1 Mastercraftsman and Arazan, 6-1 Intense Focus, 14-1 Recharge.

No mention of Soul City which I believe is being aimed at the race.

I suppose alot will depend on how much the ground dries out. It was heavy at the last meeting but presumably has dried out somewhat since then. Those closer to the track than me might know better.

Last edited:
The racing post today reports that Evasive will not be supplemented for the race and instead goes straight to Royal Ascot.

Cashmans are offering odds of 5-2 Delegator, 4-1 Mastercraftsman and Arazan, 6-1 Intense Focus, 14-1 Recharge.

No mention of Soul City which I believe is being aimed at the race.

I suppose alot will depend on how much the ground dries out. It was heavy at the last meeting but presumably has dried out somewhat since then. Those closer to the track than me might know better.

The going is good in Naas tonight and would imagine it wouldnt be that much different in Naas. We have had some lovely drying days of late but its to get pretty unsettled from this afternoon onwards.

I'd be keen on Mastercraftsman but wouldnt back him in the worry Rip Van Winkle could be re-routed.

Last edited:
No strong opinion yet but Recharge was eye catching at Leopardstown. Prendergasts don't tend to improve as much as the others though.

I'd be keen on Mastercraftsman but wouldnt back him in the worry Rip Van Winkle could be re-routed.

I don't think Rip is or should be on the radar for this. They should be looking to step him up in trip, although if they were going to try a mile again I suppose this would be the one.

I certainly wouldn't have thought that Rip would run in preference to Mastercraftsman.

Last edited:
I agree it is far more likely the Rip will go for the Derby, but I think there is a chance that they will be so happy with the rest of their Derby team that they might divert him elsewhere and the Irish Guineas could be an option.

If he did go for the Irish Guineas I would certainly back him to confirm form with Mastercraftsman.

Back