Irish 2000 Guineas

I can see Mastercraftsman being steamed into on the day (a la Duke Of Marmalade a couple of years back).

That could well be the case. A good indicator of the going will be if Intense Focus lines up. Bolger has stated (for what it's worth) that he won't run if it is soft and in hindsight that they should have run him in France.

The word heavy will definitely be in the going description. While the forecast is slight improved for the rest of the week it is still forecasting heavy showers.

Would Meehan run Delegator on heavy ground?
Intense Focus looks very doubtful and it appears as if Westphalia will also miss the race (at least Cashmans seem to think so).

The word heavy will definitely be in the going description. While the forecast is slight improved for the rest of the week it is still forecasting heavy showers.

How well does the course drain?... I'd be quite hopeful that the ground could dry out a bit if no significant rain materialised between Wednesday and race day. If that were the case I can't see how it could be heavy.

They will get significant rain though and its not the quickest to dry out anymore.

Thanks re drainage.

But with respect, if the forecast does not have any significant rain between Wednesday and raceday, how do you know otherwise. The forecast may well be wrong, but how do you know it's wrong?

Where exactly is the drying forecast?

Today
Today will be another very showery day. Some of the showers will be heavy or prolonged, with a risk of thundery downpours and spot flooding. There will also be bright or sunny spells, with coastal areas of Connacht and Ulster faring best. Temperatures will reach 12 to 15 degrees.

Tonight
Clear spells will develop in many areas overnight as the showers becoming scattered and mist and fog patches will form as the winds become very light. Lowest temperatures will range from 4 to 8 degrees.
hr.gif

Tomorrow

Showers will return to many areas tomorrow and again some will be heavy and possibly thundery. Bright or sunny spells will appear between the showers and temperatures will reach 12 to 16 degrees.

Outlook

The weather shows no sign of settling down yet. It will remain changeable and unsettled for the rest of the week, over the weekend. But the rain should be lighter after Friday. Wednesday night will be cool with just well scattered showers. The showers will become widespread again on Thursday and some will be heavy and possibly thundery. But there will be some sunny spells also. Top temperatures in the low to mid teens. A spell of rain will cross the areas overnight and Friday will start misty and mostly cloudy with some light rain and drizzle, but some dry, bright spells may develop in places in the afternoon and evening. Weak weather fronts are set to cross the area at times over the weekend , but at this stage it looks as if rainfall amounts will be small, and there should be some good dry spells each day. Temperatures should be in the mid teens in most places.

I was going by what it said in the Post today about the weather. Haven’t got it in front of me at the moment, but they were talking about a clear spell from Wednesday until raceday. Although it appears to be unsettled toward the end of the week the Met Office appears to bear out what they were saying in the paper.
Met Office forecast
Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:
Sunny spells and showers on Thursday. Mainly dry but rather cloudy on Friday, then cloudy with rain at times on Saturday. Winds will stay mostly light.
Updated: Tue 19 May 2009

If this were to transpire I very much doubt it would be heavy.

The word heavy will be in the going, raining on the Curragh right now as we speak.

...If you say so. For my part I can only repeat that if the forecast comes about I can't see how "heavy" could feature in the going report.

Nevertheless I take it we can expect a bit of give.:)

Intense Focus is 7/1, yet his victor at Leopardstowm Recharge is 16/1. I think that is an astonishing price and will be checking their shops tomorrow to see if it's available. I'd have thought 8 or 9/1 was around his mark.

Giving myself a pat on the back for calling it right but I'm not holding a 16/1 voucher :(

Giving myself a pat on the back for calling it right but I'm not holding a 16/1 voucher :(

Yes well done... :) I quite like the idea of Recharge running well in this. However, Intense Focus's drifting price will almost certainly be to do with him being all but ruled out (almost certainly so if Gal is right about the going).

Last edited:
Is there any danger of the meeting being called off?

No chance I'd say. Although bad ground is far from satisfactory for a Classic. They have put the race back before, but this causes problems and given only showers forecast between now and then it should certainly go ahead.

Last edited:
The ground was awful when Araafa beat George. The Curragh is rarely called off although last year they cancelled the Saturday of the Oaks weekend and put the better races onto one card on Sunday.

Debutante Stakes day was called off last year, with the Debutante (and a few other pattern races) run at Leopardstown a week later IIR.

That's right, I forgot about that one. The Debutante, Royal Whip and Phoenix Sprint I think.

To think of the complaints at last year's Guineas meeting that the ground was too firm!

Looks like the situation's set to improve despite the heavy rain up to now:

DRYING FORECAST BOOSTS CURRAGH

The Curragh remains raceable despite another inch of rain on Tuesday that hit the Kildare track ahead of this weekend's two-day Boylesports Irish 2000 and 1000 Guineas meeting.
The going is heavy and officials are banking on the forecast improvement in the weather from Thursday.
"It's been dry this afternoon, but there is the possibility of further showers through the day," said racecourse manager Paul Hensey on Wednesday.
"From tomorrow onwards we are expecting significant improvement in the weather. There will be occasional showers but nothing like we've experienced over the last few days.
"It's been desperate. Up to eight o'clock this morning we'd had 23 millimetres of rain in the previous 24-hour period and we'd had 12mm on Monday. That's 35mm there as well as what we had this morning which was about another eight or 10mm.
"The course has taken it well enough, but it just needs an opportunity to dry and to soak up the rain and it will be fine if it does.
"We've been raceable today, but we don't need another day like yesterday, that would leave us in trouble.
"I spoke to the Met Office this afternoon and they said once any showers pass through we are looking at, from Thursday through to Sunday, a total of five millimetres of rain. If the forecast is accurate we'll be fine."

The downpours we're getting are localised and hard to predict. The ground will be knee deep unless there is a drastic change in the weather.

Back