It's A Miracle...

Yes dammit :D
I'd backed Jagoes Mills there, what happened to him?

will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the Meade horses today
Sounded like that one had to battle a bit too

I would have expected Jagoes Mills to be thereabouts Mel, but he wasn't placed was he?

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Feb 20 2008, 03:13 PM
Jagoes Mills was dismounted by Russell before getting back to the unsaddling area, possibly sustained an injury of sorts. shrug::
Ah that probably explains it, on paper at least he was the best in the race
Hope it's nothing serious

Carberry has won 4 today :what: well done to him

I think this is an "old chestnut" trotted out by Irish trainers time and again to explain the poor performances of their horses in English Handicaps.

It didn't stop them monopolising the Cheltenham Handicaps 2 years ago, and they also managed to fill 4 of the 12 places last year. Were they badly handicapped then?

Given that Irish horses have done well in the graded hurdle events at Cheltenham and the over all profile of the Irish hurdlers is stronger than their UK counterparts it should surely be expected that Irish hurdlers would be to the fore in the handicaps. You point out that Irish hurdlers did well 2 years ago…I think the arrangements are certainly different now than back then.

I cannot think of a major handicap in England this year that an Irish horse was strongly fancied or went close to winning.

Barker for instance….a hugely progressive horse in Ireland. I would imagine he will have little chance at Cheltenham given the likely mark the handicapper will give him.

The Greatwood?

Which kind of suggests to me that any Irish hurdler capable of winning a big British handicap during the season is unlikely to end up in a Cheltenham handicap come March.

Back