Jan Moir on Stephen Gateley

Originally Posted by krizon
Let's not forget that it was the Mail which supported Fascism and Hitler's excellent ideas for society. We shouldn't be surprised that homophobia still reigns in its offices. No doubt their only disappointment is that that nice Mr Hitler didn't take over the Western world, and send them all to the gas chambers, instead

70 years ago FFS. Boring cliched accusation drummed out by the left at every opportiunity

And lets not forget that the Daily Mail batters the BNP at every juncture and was the strongest campaigner in the Stephen Lawrence case

And lets not forget that the Guardian...somewhat less than 70 years ago, commisioned an Al Qaeda member (and his allegiances had to be drummed out of the paper by Private eye) to write opinion pieces and ran a comment piece gloating about the attacks on the WTC just two days after 9/11.

I dislike the Daily Mail (although acknowledge its well produced and targeted) and thought the piece was pretty unpleasant, but not at all sure this is the worst thing ive seen in the press

Does everyone believe he died of natural causes?

Does it really matter if he didn't? Whatever caused his death, it is very sad for those who loved and knew him. The need by some to rake over and rake everything and speculate mostly for the sake of needless gossip is a very sad reflection on today's society. When Richard Beckinsale died at 31 of a heart attack - that's what was reported - he died of a heart attack. Yes he was a heavy smoker but that wasn't proven to be a contirbutory factor. He died in his bed, his wife in hospital at time - now he would probably be accused of anything from drug taking to secret liasion with another woman/women/man/men as he was found alone.

Apologies I don't know what the coroner's report says and if it says natural causes then i'll be quiet.

Haven't read the article and whilst I don't think it'a really any loss to the music world, I agree with G-G that it's sad for someone so young famous or otherwise to pass away and I do feel very sorry for his family and friends.

As far as I've heard on the news the coroner reported natural causes (don't know if there's been any feedback from the tests they carried out on the fluid found in his lungs?) and I think it's more a case of death by natural causes in someone that age is uncommon but certainly not unheard of. Lots of people appear perfectly healthy on the outside without knowing they have an underlying health issue. Terry Yorath's son springs to mind as well as the young lady who died recently after having the cervical cancer vaccine - post mortem concluded she had an undetected malignant tumour. IMO, unless anything else comes to light at a later date, I don't think his death had anything to do with what he may or may not have been doing that evening.

Clivex - I am not left-wing, to give the lie to your attack. Neither am I right-wing, although I suspect you probably are, as you seem to know a lot about the wretched paper's workings. It isn't something trotted out by the left or by the Chipping Sodbury Needlework Society - if you would care to actually do a bit of homework, it's fact. You need only look at archival evidence.

That the Daily Mail may 'batter' the BNP doesn't change its history. The fact is, it's a jingoistic, nationalistic, right-wing paper - always was, and still is. Stick that in your pipe.

Last edited:
Jan Moir writes new Gately article

Friday, October 23 2009, 09:26 BST
By Daniel Kilkelly, Entertainment Reporter
160x120_stephen_gately_02.jpg
WENN

Jan Moir has expressed "regret" for the offence caused by her recent article on the death of Stephen Gately, but has branded the backlash a "hysterical overreaction".
The Daily Mail columnist sparked accusations of homophobia last week by suggesting that Gately's passing "strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships". She also insisted that his death was "not, by any yardstick, a natural one".
In a new piece published in the newspaper today, Moir announced: "Obviously, a great deal of offence has been taken and I regret any affront caused. This was never my intention.
"To be the focus of such depth of feeling has been an interesting experience, but I do not complain. After all, I am not - unlike those close to Stephen Gately - mourning for the loss of a much-loved partner, son, family member and close friend. To them, I would like to say sorry if I have caused distress by the insensitive timing of the column, published so close to the funeral."
The journalist claimed that she would have written "exactly the same article" about a heterosexual singer and complained that many of her remarks were misinterpreted last week.
She added: "This brings me back to the bile, the fury, the inflammatory hate mail and the repeated posting of my home address on the internet. To say it was a hysterical overreaction would be putting it mildly, though clearly much of it was an orchestrated campaign by pressure groups and those with agendas of their own.

"However, I accept that many people - on Twitter and elsewhere - were merely expressing their own personal and heartfelt opinions or grievances. This said, I can't help wondering - is there a compulsion today to see bigotry and social intolerance where none exists by people who are determined to be outraged? Or was it a failure of communication on my part?"
Moir's original article led to a record number of complaints to the Press Complaints Commission.

I do not read the paper Krizon and thats a poor response frankly. A papers views 70 years ago (which were quickly dropped once the anti semitism of the Balckshirts came to the fore...see Ben Mcintyre in the Times today) is too far removed from todays paper to be in any way relevant

Back