Jebel Ali Stables & Racecourse EBF Maiden

Guest_

At the Start
The first race at The Curragh on Sunday looks a must see race.

First of all the proven talent...Bolger runs Tomas An Tsioda, disqualified and placed behind Rip Van Winkle on his second outing over Irish Derbys weekend. In the last couple of seasons Bolger has run Teofilo and New Approach in this race. The other experienced runner worth a second look is Kevin Prendergast's Driving Snow finished a head behind Tomas An Tsioda when both were making their debut at Gowran Park. He suffered plenty of interfere that day and finished really well.

Ballydoyle have three runners, Black Bear Island (full brother to High Chaparral) who is ridden by Seamus Heffernan,Indian Ocean a Montjeu colt ridden by Colm O'Donoghue and finally Murtagh's mount Freemantle, a Galileo colt.

However the big talking horse is the John Oxx trained Sea The Stars. Reported to be a big, strong type and a colt with lots of ability. He is by Cape Cross out of Urban Sea....a half brother to Galileo.

No doubt something like Daggers Bond will go and win the race after this but certainly a race to watch out for.

Last edited:
Christopher Tsui owns him and apparently, the horse has been working well (so I have heard) though surely he will come on for the run.

Does he own the mare now? Only I see he has her 2005 colt Sea's Legacy with Oxx, but he never made it to the track.

Edit: I'm guessing he does - Urban Sea's owner was one David Tsui!

Indeed. I just looked him up in Steve Taplin's 2yo book, which I recently received (two months late!):

"A very nice horse, really good-looking and a very fluent mover. Despite the fact he's quite well grown he looks as if he'll show something as a two year old because he's not backward at all. Seven furlongs in early July should suit him to start with. You'd have to like him, he's a real good sort."

Aside from the Oaks it is a cracking card...

The Anglesey market this morning has been all about Westphalia...best priced 6/4 now and looks as though he will be near evens/odds on by race time. Clearly well thought of but I was not impressed with his head carriage the last day, maybe it was just greenness but I wouldn't be taking to short a price about him (watch him skate in now!). Peter Tchaikovsky is interesting, disappointed in the Coventry but we have seen the likes of Holy Roman Emperor, Oratario etc all disappoint in that due to inexperience only to step it up the next day...at 12s he might be interesting. Intense Focus clearly sets a decent marker but he has been kept very busy since Ascot and this might be one race too many. Thought he would have been given a break ahead of the Phoenix Stakes.

The Rockingham is a nightmare as usual but I quite like Masta Plasta to win and at a big price Flash McGahon could run a big race to place at a decent price.

Teachers Choice each way for me in the Rokingham, been waiting for him over 5f on decent ground without jar for yonks, finally it comes.

If Intense Focus goes 9/2 or bigger, (5.0 now on Betfair) I'll be backing him in the Anglesey. The drying ground should suit him IMO, given his action. Westphalia is evidently quite well-regarded, but I would have similar doubts to Gal after his last run (though O'Brien put it down to greeness).

Whatever beats Tomas An Tsioda in the first race can be considered a very decent prospect. As I have said before, I strongly fancy Gagnoa in the Oaks.

Some seriously promising types in that race...looked as though there were some lovely,scopey types in there. Question is which horse will make the biggest improvement!

5 seperated by 1l at the death, my first incling would be the fav has run below par rather than met 4 nice ones, given 3 of them were very weak in the betting.

I like the way the Oxx horse stayed on for minimal handling from Kinane and think the Ballydoyle horse looked a nice sort who will improve for another furlong.

Be hard pressed to think we've seen any stars though.

I liked both Freemantle and Sea the Stars. they both stayed on well when the penny dropped. for me they're the 2 to take out of it and i wouldnt be a all surprised if they end up being towards the top end of the 2 year old ratings at the end of the season. Neither of them we're knocked about and it took them both a while to realise what was actually going on.

Strong maiden in my opinion...the winner set a very decent standard and was chased home by three unraced horses who's yard leaves plenty to work on so what they showed today was most encouraging in a maiden that regularly throws up a decent horse.

The Rockingham is a nightmare as usual but I quite like Masta Plasta to win and at a big price Flash McGahon could run a big race to place at a decent price.

Masta Plasta did it nicely. How much prize money has Dandy plundered from Curragh sprints in the last few years?

Teachers Choice each way for me in the Rokingham, been waiting for him over 5f on decent ground without jar for yonks, finally it comes.

6th or 7th, at 50/1, was up there all the way and looked to blow up. Keep an eye out for this lads, I know Aido thinks its well handicapped at the moment.

Well done Masta Plasta backers.

another fine advertisment of why to buy flat horses from Howard Johnson.

Aido done it with Rainbow Rising, John Quinn with Pacific Pride, now Dandy with Masta Plasta.

I know whose yard I'm looking at now in the Autumn horses in training. How long till he's regressed Southcentral anyone ???

How much prize money has Dandy plundered from Curragh sprints in the last few years?

Answering my own question; according to Betfair's form site he's picked up £213,969 in the last 10 years from 32 runners in sprints at the Curragh.

That'll pay for the ferry.

Edit: not including today, which takes him comfortably past the quarter million mark.

Bushranger did that very nicely. Imagine he could be the Coolmore horse for races like the Phoenix Stakes and the Morny useless Ballydoyle have something else for the race...but right now it looks as though all their horses need 7 furlongs plus.

My suspicions regarding Westphalia look well founded...he kept on but did not like his head carraige.

another fine advertisment of why to buy flat horses from Howard Johnson.

Aido done it with Rainbow Rising, John Quinn with Pacific Pride, now Dandy with Masta Plasta.

I know whose yard I'm looking at now in the Autumn horses in training. How long till he's regressed Southcentral anyone ???

In fairness, Rainbow Rising is bit of a hound and takes some handling.

Bushranger looks every inch a two year old. Would imagine the logical next step for him would be the Morny or the Phoenix.

Difficult to know what to make of the maiden. I was dissapointed to see Driving Snow reverse form with Tomas An Tsioda, who doesn't look to be progressing the way Bolger would have hoped. Doesn't do much for Rip Van Winkle's form either (nor does the third in that race, Drumbeat, being turned over at Roscommon).

I would agree that Freemantle and Sea The Stars are the two to take from the race.

Back