Jet 2

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Anyone got any experience of this mob?

I've booked a flight with them in mid-Feb but am appalled at what appear to be hidden charges and certainly their customer service don't seem helpful.

They're shaping up as serious rivals to Ryanair in the pits stakes.

Wish I'd booked with EasyJet...

WE used them for our golf trip last summer. Waved everyone through express booking, not bothered about anyone a kilo or 2 over baggage allowance, and although only allowed one bag and hand luggage, they were happy to let anyone book hand luggage in to the hold if they wanted to. Compared to Ryanair, they are like BA.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm just unlucky. I did check out online reviews before I used them. Most were positive but there were some strong negatives. I presumed it was just people with unrealistic expectations although some were quite uncomplimentary about the attitude of cabin crew.

I booked a flight on the basis of an online quote. When I got through to paying, it was suddenly about 20% dearer. I presumed I'd missed something in the small print.

In the interim I decided I'd be better adding a hold bag as I'll be away for 11 days. While I like to travel light, I reckoned that might be a bit tight. The online ad said a bag could be added "from £8". I know what "from" means. Easy Jet charge £17 so I reckoned it would be about the same. This lot wanted nearer £30. When I clicked through, there was a further charge of £9-ish for online check-in.

Now what I can't understand is why the extra charge. I phoned and they claimed the first charge was for the bag and the second was because there would need to be staff on duty to take the bag. I don't think even Ryanair do that. Easy Jet certainly doesn't.

The other thing is, I wouldn't be able to take the bag without checking it in so the already extortionate charge should already include the staffing. So checking in one bag, in advance, online, looks like setting me back close to 40 notes.

My Easy Jet flight cost £39 and that includes a pilot and cabin crew...

I`ve used the budget airlines many times and never had a single problem. I think they get a lot of unfair stick....their shortcomings are exaggerated whilst their good points are just taken for granted these days.

With the exception of Ryanair, I'd agree.

I used the budget arm of KLM last year (can't recall the name) for a return flight Amsterdam-Alicante and it was as good as any of the 'proper' charter flights (certainly a lot better than Thomson).

Probably up to about 150 flights with Ryanair and honestly can't remember a problem other than one time when Prestwick was fog bound - out of their control. If you just know the rules and organise around them they are significantly uncomplicated. Customer Service in my opinion is meeting expectations. My three expectations on flights less than 2 hours is that it takes off on time, lands on time and if I check a bag that they don't lose it. Ryanair lead Europe on all three metrics. That to me is great CS. I don't expect a smile or a BJ from Mr Gigginstown or his staff, so when I get one (a smile) it feels like the sun comes out. It happens a lot more than popular myth would have you believe too.

Last edited:
I suggest you use a site like skyscanner to do your price comparisons, they include the hidden extras in the prices they quote.

I use Skyscanner all the time. I even checked it out last night and clicked through to a Jet2 flight. Again, as soon as I did it was dearer than the price quoted. I kept going to see if I'd missed any small print regarding check-in online charges, couldn't see that I had and clicked on through.

The charge only appears once you add a bag. It doesn't say in advance: by the way if you're daft enough to pay our exorbitant luggage fees we're going to fcuk you again with a second charge.

Almost every airline charges extra for baggage nowadays, the default situation is that it's no longer part of the basic fare.

Yes, I don't have a problem paying extra for hold baggage.

Jet 2 tells you it charges for hold baggage (almost E30 in this case, no pun intended, compared with £17 for Easy Jet) but it's only when you click to add it that a second charge of over E9 appears.

That's my general attitude to Ryanair Trudi - budget airlines are filthy cheap until you try and take baggage on with you.

Martin

Lol, i was referring to the fascinating Aida clip - I've never gone anywhere I can use a cheap airline - only ever used virgin, air Canada and Emirates so can't comment other than I reckon you get what you pay for.... ;)

Back