Jimmy for champ. jock.

Woppit

At the Start
I'm sure I'm not alone in believing that Jimmy Fortune has an immense chance of becoming champion jockey this season - he's always been very popular but only now will he be freely available.

I'm itching to get a chunk on him but can't find him priced up anywhere - does anyone know if a firm offering a price?? Remember what price Spencer was at the start of the 2007 flat season before becoming champ, 33-1 if i remember rightly! Could be the same here imo.

If anything happened to Ryan Moore, I'd expect Kieron Fallon to be the biggest beneficary.

I would have to agree with you on that score. Like JF but now freelancing takes him into a mire of trying to get rides in a hugely competitive market. Good luck to him but just can't see him getting the rides.

Thing is though Jimmy's always been in demand, but I understand that Gosden didn't like him taking too many outside rides, unless they had big chances. So i reckon there'll be a floodgate open of trainers who'd wanted him in the past but not been able to get him.

It'll be very competive either like you say with Keiren and of course Hughesy too.

Buick and Makin would be my outside choices. Fortune just won't get the ammo for it now.

Fallon is 9/4 to win the title which is laughable.

Crowley would be my outside choice - being stable jockey to Ralph Beckett will help numbers wise and he'll still be picking up rides for Perrett and other outside trainers. Also one of the strongest/best jockeys around IMO.

Buick and Makin would be my outside choices. Fortune just won't get the ammo for it now.

Fallon is 9/4 to win the title which is laughable.

Agree about Buick, who i think will do really well for Gosden, most likely pick up same rides for Balding (am i right in thinking after Fortune turned the job down no one else was approached?) and can see him being in demand more and more from others the better he does and is exposed with Johnny G.

Have to say I'd lay Buick till the cows come home if i was into that kinda thing, i hope he does well and he has the talent but there is a long history of kids getting their first big job having a few teething problems.

While Jimmy may not have enough ammo as quantifiable right now, as a freelance he'll be right at the top of most peoples lists to get the job sewn up which should get him a lot of rides with big chances.

WHy cant Fallon win it Gamla?

I don't think he'll get the ammo from the big yards to get the wins on the board like Moore and Hughes and if you're not getting them you need to be treking to Wolverhampton on a Tuesday night in October, Brighton on a Sunday in July instead of riding animals like Youmzain round St Cloud and I don't think he'll do that.

I also only make him about Evens to get through the season without some sort of controversy taking him out!

I'd be much keener on Makin managing it at 33s, he'll ride at every Northern meeting regularly like Winston did when he was looking like winning it before he broke his arm at Ayr a few years ago.

Back