John Dunlop

chroniclandlord

Senior Jockey
John Dunlop has announced his retirement after a 46 year career as a trainer. Training Derby winners Shirley Heights and Erhaab were among his many achievements.

Wishing him a long retirement.

Last edited:
He also trained two brilliant fillies in Salsabil and Habibti, the best of their generation at their distances.

If you haven't read "Horsesweat and Tears" by Simon Barnes, the diary of a year (think it was 1987, off the top of my head) he spent shadowing John Dunlop's yard, I highly recommend it.

Wishing him a long and healthy retirement.

Habibti. Posse. Salsabil. Shirley Heights. Silver Patriarch. Moon Madness. Ragstone.
All champions at their varied distances 5f to 20f. He could keep horses going year in year out. By coincidence the first race at Laytown today is the Balmarino handicap, a reminder of JDs Aussie champ runner up to Alleged Arc 77 Balmerino.
Having tipped Times Up in the Summer Naps comp I am lonely as most at the news.
A long and distinguished career deserving of a happy retirement.

He also trained two brilliant fillies in Salsabil and Habibti, the best of their generation at their distances.

If you haven't read "Horsesweat and Tears" by Simon Barnes, the diary of a year (think it was 1987, off the top of my head) he spent shadowing John Dunlop's yard, I highly recommend it.

Wishing him a long and healthy retirement.

Yes, very good read. He is also a very good stockman and had a very good herd of pedigree Beef Shorthorns which sold a few years back very well. Happy retirement to him.

Hope Mr Dunlop has a very long and happy retirement.
Had a conversation with him a few years ago about standing Rainbow High as a stallion with him as he loved the horse.

Second that. When SB was a good writer rather than horribly up himself one and JD was close to top of the tree.

Always really liked JD. Fine trainer in every way and was especially good with keeping stayers going nicely

Can only echo comments about Salsabil. One of the great fillies

Salsabil was magnificent . I remember lots of crap about how In The Groove was going to reverse the Guineas form at Epsom and Salsabil murdered her .

A shame they waited for the Arc with her - she would have hacked up in the King George .

One of my favourite Dunlop quotes was from the early 1980s when a journalist asked him why he did not have a stable jockey after Ron Hutchinson retired

" I use Willie, Lester and Pat - why would I want a stable jockey"

Back