Johnny Murtagh - Irish Jockeys Championship

I think he has a great chance of winning it (obviously). Ger Lyons will give him plenty of winners on the all weather - he won't be going to Melbourne this year either.

I was looking at the prices and thinking of backing Smullen. The last couple of years Smullen has ridden far more horses and as a result more winners, but if you think the pattern is likely to be different this year I'll probably hold fire.

How many Irish meetings will Smullen miss in going to Aus? I'm guessing that Murtagh will miss quite a chunk by racing in the UK and Arc/Breeders Cup etc.

He'll miss only one flat day in Ireland for the Arc meeting and a couple for the Breeders Cup - will Smullen be heading to America again?

Chinese White mentioned for the F&M at Breeders Cup. I expect Smullen to be there. Weld might run one of his two year olds and possibly Famous Name or CC.

This time last year Smullen's title was under threat from Fran Berry and he seemed to step up his effort in response. Winning the championship clearly means plenty to him and he can be expected to fight hard to defend it.

That said, Murtagh has access to stronger ammunition than Berry did and a lot depends, as you imply, on how much he wants it.

On balance I think the 6/4 Bet365 are offering about Smullen's chances is a reasonable price.

Some good points raised, cheers guys. My views on similar to Grey's. Come this stage of the season I think it's a numbers game, and Smullen looks likely to pick up more rides than Murtagh, particularly if the latter isn't going all out to win it.

Some good points raised, cheers guys. My views on similar to Grey's. Come this stage of the season I think it's a numbers game, and Smullen looks likely to pick up more rides than Murtagh, particularly if the latter isn't going all out to win it.

Smullen is likely to be in Paris on Arc day as well as Chinese White is due to run in the L'Opera isn't she?

There are 7 Dundalk meetings in November...Murtagh will have the pick of O'Briens, Halford and more importantly Lyons.

I had a look earlier in the week at this market DJ and was thinking similar to you. I was surprised Smullen wasn't fav. Johnny had an exceptional year last season and Smullen still managed to win the title.

But thinking about it now, when Dundalk starts up again Johnny will have an abundance of good rides for Lyons, Wachman, Halford and the odd few O'Brien will send up.

It will make for an interesting couple of months, thats for sure. Lyons should be top trainer again at Dundalk and I think it will be interesting to see how the rides are spread between Johnny and Keegan Latham.

Murtagh has acted like the jockeys title is a priority for the last couple of months -he cried off Benbaun at the last minute in the Nunthorpe to ride at Killarney and he missed one day of Doncaster to ride at the Junction.As far as I know he has a big suspension hanging over him under the totting up process.

Think I read that he missed a few days recently with a back injury. Would that worry anyone? Big risk that he might look to mind himself a little. Being fit for the Coolmore in the job long term is surely a bigger priority. I have no idea how bad his back injury was but it must be a concern.

Chandlers cut Murtagh to 4/9 during the week.Bizarre move in my opinion-Smullen leads by one -10/11 each of two as I see it.

Have decided to back Smullen at 2's with Paddy Power. Profound Beauty now not going to Australia so this looks like a 50-50 match to me.

Well done DJ, treble for Smullen. Nice healthy lead. Should be a good battle. Dundalk Friday night will be interesting.

Imagine some people are paying the Racing Post for this type of info....

By David Baxter4.35PM 26 OCT 2009
JOHNNY MURTAGH reduced Pat Smullen's lead to two in the Irish Flat jockeys' championship after scoring on odds-on shot Don Carlos at Leopardstown on Monday.
Victory on the Ballydoyle juvenile moved Murtagh to 82 winners - two behind defending champion Pat Smullen, who could finish no better than second from his seven rides on the card.
With more than a month left until the final meeting of the season at Dundalk on November 27, the title is still very much up for grabs, with the next Flat Irish meeting taking place on Dundalk's all-weather surface on Friday.

If Don Carlos was Murtagh's only winner theretoday, I think his lead is 3. That race could be crucial in a months time.

Back