July Cup

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

JULY CUP favourite Delegator warmed up for the Darley-sponsored sprint with an impressive workout, which left connections "very happy" on Thursday morning.

The son of Dansili, who is trained by Saeed Bin Suroor, has had next week's Group 1 as his target since missing the Golden Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot because of the ground.
He is a general 4-1 market leader for the July Cup and gave notice of his wellbeing on the Limekilns short gallop.

Partnered by Ted Durcan, he worked about six furlongs and pulled six lengths clear of his lead horse.

"We're very happy with that," Godolphin's racing manager Simon Crisford said.

"Ted was happy and that's his final seriouswork finished now before the July Cup.

"We'll have Frankie [Dettori] back next week and we're very much looking forward to the race."

Things didn't go Bated Breath's way at Ascot. The ground wasn't ideal and he got involved in a bit of early scrimmaging. Given faster ground and a bit more luck in running, he'll go very close on Saturday.

Agree Gus. Took some 14s after Ascot. Delegator is a classy animal but the Duke of York he won was pants and he looks too short for this.

Monsieur Chevalier to go one better ! Now it is clear that So You Think isn't running.

I was a bit shocked when I looked at the entries at saw Delegator is only rateded 112. I like the horse a lot and think he can go close but is he really a 4/1 shot?

33/1 about Amico Fritz is massive - particularly in light of the price of Dalghar who he beat fair and square at Ascot and the price of Star Witness who he'd have finished at least upsides in the Ascot race, he finished clear in his group of 5 at Ascot and with a better draw would have gone very close.

33/1 about Amico Fritz is massive - particularly in light of the price of Dalghar who he beat fair and square at Ascot and the price of Star Witness who he'd have finished at least upsides in the Ascot race, he finished clear in his group of 5 at Ascot and with a better draw would have gone very close.

Not so sure - I backed Amico Fritz at Ascot because of soft ground which he's unlikely to get at Newmarket. The draw didn't help at Ascot but I felt he could have switched to the far side as Star Witness was drawn in the next but one stall

Dalghar was drawn on the same part of the course as Amico Fritz and they raced in the same group.

I backed him at Ascot too based on the ground and his previous performance at the track, but he's run well on good to firm before and is a winner over 7f so a stiff 6f should suit him.

Well done to Dream Ahead and a very cool ride by Hayley Turner .

What fallon was doing on Monsieur Chevalier on the other hand ...

Reading on another forum that they thought that Dream Ahead won despite the ride Hayley gave him.

Haven't had a chance to have a look at the replay yet, is there any justification for saying that if she had kept a cool head and kept straight he would have won by six, or is it just sexist nonsense?

In fairness the poster's views are normally pretty considered and I don't think he is sexist.

Maybe it's just nonsense? To be fair, Dream Ahead was a ride that any competent fully-fledged rider would have found it difficult to get beat on. Simcok said it best when he said 'Vettel wouldn't win around Monaco in a mini would he?'

Utter twoddle -she got over to the rail - got him settled , eased him out when the gap came and sauntered through to win with the minimum of fuss.

Nonsense of some class.

Bated Breathe was drifting across her. If Drowne had not stopped riding and taken severe corrective action, which he was never going to do, she risked getting completely squashed. Bated Breathe would probably have been disqualified but Drowne I'm sure would have been happier going past the post first and praying for mercy in the stewards room (his whip was in the correct hand) rather than waving Hayley by. Dream Ahead wouldn't have even finished second in these circumstances to take advantage of a disqualification.

There's no prizes for winning easily. When you're on the best horse, you take the safest route to getting to the winning line in front, not the line that will take you there with the biggest lead.

Last edited:
I'm amazed by the lack of focus on the horses performance. This was a seriously smart horse putting in a seriously good performance and I think we may have just seen the birth of a sprinting star. He won so easily that I would be surprised if he's beaten over 6f this season. The only horse capable of beating him is on holiday in Oz.

A smidgen of praise on here for Hayley and a historic Group 1 win. Rather disappointing. A (male) colleague of mine at Lingfield was furious that Simcock couldn't manage higher praise than to say she was third choice for the ride and something along the lines of a good horse getting the rider there anyway. I didn't see the race as I was engaged otherwise, but if that's the best a trainer can manage in the way of praise for this particular win, yeah, sexism is alive and well, even among men young enough to know better. I hope someone will correct this understanding of what took place.

A smidgen of praise on here for Hayley and a historic Group 1 win. Rather disappointing. A (male) colleague of mine at Lingfield was furious that Simcock couldn't manage higher praise than to say she was third choice for the ride and something along the lines of a good horse getting the rider there anyway. I didn't see the race as I was engaged otherwise, but if that's the best a trainer can manage in the way of praise for this particular win, yeah, sexism is alive and well, even among men young enough to know better. I hope someone will correct this understanding of what took place.

Simcock added: "I would just like to say thanks to all of the team at Trillium Place and also lots of congratulations go out to Hayley Turner. She couldn't have done a betterjob."

I wouldn't read too much into that Krizon, the trainer was under a lot of pressure with this horse as he was joint highest rated 2yo and things hadn't gone to plan. So it was unsurprising that he concentrated on the horse rather than the jockey as he had a point to prove. I imagine it would have been the same had he chose a third choice male jockey, but he didn't, he thought Hayley Turner could be trusted with the ride and proved to be a good judge and in no way sexist in my book, or she would never have got the ride. He just wanted the story to be about the horse immediately after the race which is understandable under the circumstances.

Good going Hayley, she did nothing at all wrong and everything right... mind you I think I could of won on him. He was so much better than the rest.

why should she get praise because she is female? it makes no sense, and I find putting the race in the context of that insulting (that's how it was reported everywhere) to the horse and trainer. Above all, it's sexist..

I agree that praising her just because she is female is ridiculous.

It was a grand ride. Certainly not poor. But nothing special as the horse was by far superior to the opposition and I reckon you wouldn't need to be among the top jocks like Fallon, Queally and Hills to win that race on that horse.

Fair play to Hayley for overcoming what seems to be a very sexist industry to reach where she is in her profession, which is clearly near the top.

But that is the achievement, not the steering job on Saturday.

If she wasn't as cute I don't think she'd doing as well as she is. For the record I think she's a good jockey.

Last edited:
Back