July Cup

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Don't be so daft, Hamm. Racing is all about major highs and firsts - of course it matters that she's female. If you had the slightest idea about how sexist the industry has been and still is (look back at the contributions from some - possibly ex - members saying how they would never put up a female rider if they had any sort of bloke available), you would understand the importance of noting that Hayley has at last put British female riders onto the hot list of Group winners - Jesusaitch, it was only about five years ago when most male contributors to forums were talking about how they'd like to give Lisa Jones one, etc., etc. Maybe some of you just don't get it - which is just the attitude of the old-style Jockey Club and its sexist old and even young farts.

Chef: thanks for that. I rather hoped it didn't end with such a feeble almost-well done from Simcock, and at least she's been interviewed by good industry hacks since, so the full story can get out. I don't care if she was on the most wayward nag or the easiest armchair - she's got female riders onto the Group lists now, when pretty much all any bloke could say a very few years back was how they rated them for their looks and bonkability. Which was really ridiculous, irrelevant, and peurile.

She's not the first female rider to win a Group 1 is she? I seem to recall Dandy Nicholls missus winning the Nunthorpe on Ya Malak (dht Coastal Bluff?). Perhaps that event led the way for this one.

On a ridiculous, irrelevant and puerile note, I would certainly give young Ms Turner "one". Or possibly more, gnuff, gnuff. I am certain that she would be suitably gratified to know this.

Jesusaitch, it was only about five years ago when most male contributors to forums were talking about how they'd like to give Lisa Jones one, etc., etc.

Who said that? :blink:

Attachments

• LisaJones300x396.jpg
    LisaJones300x396.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Don't be so daft, Hamm. Racing is all about major highs and firsts - of course it matters that she's female. If you had the slightest idea about how sexist the industry has been and still is (look back at the contributions from some - possibly ex - members saying how they would never put up a female rider if they had any sort of bloke available), you would understand the importance of noting that Hayley has at last put British female riders onto the hot list of Group winners - Jesusaitch, it was only about five years ago when most male contributors to forums were talking about how they'd like to give Lisa Jones one, etc., etc. Maybe some of you just don't get it - which is just the attitude of the old-style Jockey Club and its sexist old and even young farts.

Chef: thanks for that. I rather hoped it didn't end with such a feeble almost-well done from Simcock, and at least she's been interviewed by good industry hacks since, so the full story can get out. I don't care if she was on the most wayward nag or the easiest armchair - she's got female riders onto the Group lists now, when pretty much all any bloke could say a very few years back was how they rated them for their looks and bonkability. Which was really ridiculous, irrelevant, and peurile.

Kri, i've heard you comment on riders looks before have I not? Bit ridiculous? :ninja:

Take your point and yes it should be celebrated but this sexist thing is slightly skewed because horse racing is one of the few sports where women compete directly with men. Regardless of attitudes the physicality of both genders means it will always be harder for women. Women will always have to prove themselves that little bit more because it is not a level playing field. I'm sure for many years now trainers will have been assessing them on their riding ability, not their sex and if they are good enough, they'll get the rides.

Forgot to add - Michael Bell actually made the comment on RUK that Hayley "Rides like a man". Say no more I think.

She's a good jock who deserves good rides. Whilst she delivers i'm sure she'll continue to get them, just like any other jock. It's a results game.

Back