Jumps Horse of The Year

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Kauto for me; to win a fifth KG at the age of 11 (which also made the national news) is something else, and much as I defend BB's achievements against the "boring" accusations, there's no denying Kauto has consistently beaten a better calibre of horses to win his 5 KGs than BB has to win his 17 races.

Sprinter Sacre will have plenty of time to win this; Synchronised will pull in plenty of sympathy votes but shouldn't win it strictly on merit, and agree that having Finian's Rainbow in the list over Hunt Ball is a travesty.

It's "of the year" Cruella not career.

Last edited:
Has to be kauto. Winning those races in such style at that age after a long career is quite special and a training performance that is excpetional

as good as SS is it has to be KS simply because he created two very special moments that only he could provide..very special moments..we've seen very good novices before but i doubt the two moments created by KS will be created for a very long time by any horse flat or jumps..easy winner for me

...if even people who know what they're taking about are voting for Kauto he's sure to win, as all of those who have never heard of SS will be voting for Kauto too (...hasn't he won enough already?). It would be the wrong result imo.

:lol:

when is this decided?..if its public vote KS will romp it surely

28th april at sandown its announced.

pretty sure its the voting on the racing post site that decides it.

I wonder how many votes they get on the racing post site.

Have we anyone good at setting up a facebook campaign it could easily sway the voting on this.:D

Its allowing me €170 max bet on Kauto.

a 12 year old beating the reigning GC winner x2 and a record equalling KG after deafening calls for his retirement last season

Use your head people

I did. I voted for Kauto as well.

I've voted for Kauto Star. King George win beats everything else.

I think so, too.

Never mind if Kauto has had his time in the sun, he still won two of the big G1s this season and in doing so he didn't achieve anything less on form than the other contenders.

In honesty Kauto does deserve a big pat on the back and is certainly a horse to celebrate. As I say he is bound to win as public sentiment for the luvely horsey will sweep everything away before him.

And indeed the novice is after all just a novice, but as they say what a novice! (...Sprinter's still my vote though).

Last edited:
Given that the handicapper thoght NC Grand National performance good enough to win this years Gold Cup Denman is the obvious choice!

i could a won this years GC

you also forgot the smiley:lol:

NC gave a stone + 1 lb to 142 horse..how on earth is that GC winning form?..it comes out at 157..i'll add a lb for winning..158..Denman beat him 7 lengths..Denman was a 165 GC winner then?

Last edited:
For handicapper read Timeform. Apologies. 168 versus 165 for Synchronised GC performance.

i'm struggling to see how anyone could give NC that sort of rating..its way over inflated..its a handicap at the end of the day..nowt to with mark but swap the jockeys on the first two and Sunnyhill would have won by 3 lengths

Last edited:
i'm struggling to see how anyone could give NC that sort of rating..its way over inflated..its a handicap at the end of the day..nowt to with mark but swap the jockeys on the first two and Sunnyhill would have won by 3 lengths

Like I said earlier, if Timeform can be believed, Neptune was their best ever rated Grand National winner, although Suny Bay and Crisp achieved higher ratings in defeat.

It was a big weight carrying achievement by a horse running to his extent and getting up in the final stride. This scenario is likely to produce a high rating. Whether it's the best one ever is another question.

According to Timeform's Jumps Editor Dan Barber, Neptune ran to 166, ahead of Don't Push It (162) and Royal Athlete (161) in TF lists.

Barber said Neptune Collonges' winning performance figure of 166 would have had him “bang there” in this year's Gold Cup behind Synchronised (167 at Cheltenham).

Suny Bay, achieved 176 when finding only Earth Summit too strong under top weight in 1998. Crisp, second to Red Rum in 1973, is second some 8lb behind on a rating of 168.

However, despite this perhaps Denman shouldn't be voted jumps horse of the year as he didn't appear. Perhaps a lifetime award for reflected glory at this year's Oscars might be more appropriate.

Perhaps Neptune should be horse of the year? ;)

Last edited:
Back