just wondering!

I'd call mine 'Pandemonium', mainly to give the commentator's an easy out.......but mainly because it's a great word.

Id call mine, "Who has just gone wrong"

Can you imagine how many times it would give people heart palpitations!!

"And coming round Tattenham Corner, its New Approach, Who has just gone wrong, Curtain Call...."

Or if he didnt make it to the top, but was running in handicaps, there is bound to be an occassion where the course commentator will say, "And now hitting the front, its the favourite who has just gone wrong"...

Im pretty sure it would play havoc on Betfair.

There was a horse once called JAFEICA which stood for "just another f***ing expense I can't afford". Thought it was a classic.

I tend to take names from parents too.

Brave Inca is named after the North American indian theme from his mother, Wigwam Mam, and her father Commanche Run. That's where the Indian BRAVE bit came from. Inca was just because I was planning on doing the Inca trail and sure North and South American Indians are the same!!

Kimberlite King comes from his mother Daraheen Pearl and her mother Daraheen Diamond. Kimberlite is the substance diamonds are found in. Cashel was where the syndicate met first so the Kings of Cashel was used for the KING bit.

Captain Bondi is something completely different!!

I'd call mine 'Pandemonium', mainly to give the commentator's an easy out.......but mainly because it's a great word

That suprises me

I thought it would have been Lenin or Pol Pot or something

Full of surprises me, clivex.

By the by........why don't I see a picture of you, when I click on the Forum Tools tab??

Just kidding. :)

Last edited:
Given that the name is going to be evocative, 'Supreme Peace'; because that's what I want .....
Otoh, 'Free Land', because that's what it should be ...
'Pay Fair Rent', because that's what landowners should be doing ...
Nothing too contentious, though.
:)

Edinburgh rock, because i`m from Edinburgh and love the castle, also like the name Dresden if i had a big old fashioned jumper, don`t know why?.

Id call mine Grasshopper

And would make sure that it had extensive aw Flat campaigns

I would also give it a life membership to the Tory party

You never get the name you want anyway, so many are taken now. It is nearly impossible to name a horse a real word, you have to make them up!

I love the name Brave Inca, think it goes so well and it is great if you can blend the dam and sire's names.

Talking of cleverly named horses, there was a horse running in the 60s (won a race at Goodwood, as I recall) called Thistle Win, by Tin Whistle out of Cryptic.

I know plenty of horses that have been named recently that are named with real words, Isinglass - not sure where that came from!

I know plenty of horses that have been named recently that are named with real words, Isinglass - not sure where that came from!

Yes, you are right there, there are some good ones that come out, but having just named two horses and gone through nearly every clever name that we came up with only to be told the name was taken I can assure you that it is harder and harder. We really did have nearly 200 names refused. If you want more than one word it becomes easier, but matching dam and sire is a challenge these days.

You can get lucky and get a name between it being released and being used again, as Coolmore did with Yeats. Probably because they knew as they owned the last Yeats!

If you look on the Pedigree Query website you will find that many names you think are original have been used at sometime. We were surprised when ours was there having made it up from letters from dam and sire. The other horse we named is called Early Morning Rain and that was easy as 3 words. But has nothing whatsoever to do with either parent.

I can't remember the exact requirements but to reuse a name of a gelding is something like 10 years, depending upon how famous he was, a sire is about 25 years after he is dead and same for a broodmare. They told me that all the names of Classic winners from day dot are being protected so those can never be used again either. And they can be funny about a name that sounds like any other name.

It seems easy enough but so many clever, funny, noble type names are gone or protected. Or reserved because the larger studs reserve those that they think go with their broodmares.

For instance, just to prove that I am not barmy .....

From the names mentioned on here:

Pandemonium is not available, already a horse called that in training.
Free Land too is gone.
Supreme Peace - gone.
Grasshopper - loads of them!
Edinburgh Rock, was first used in 1915, then in 1973 and again in 1987 in South Africa, Weatherby's may allow you to have this one though.

I'm pretty sure you could get 'Ilovepeas' !

I'm pretty sure you could get 'Ilovepeas'

That's a relief, they turned down 'husefnmoney'. After Fm made a complete bollix of a ride he told a syndicate member in the parade ring (who was up to his eye balls in the horse) that he would "get great craic out of that one " to which the gentleman in question replied "with who's f'n money, mine or yours" I laughed :)

Back