just wondering!

I've been hassled and educated about the "simian hand" or "simian line" all my life (from my mum who has it along with other folk like Tony Blair etc), and it's when you have one line going straight across your hand rather than two. In an ideal world, i'd get New Approach to be the daddy and call the horse "simian approach" (an intense horse with an intense approach).

http://www.handanalysis.com/simian.html

Last edited:
Thanks Isinglass, but I know all about the naming process! I know that it can be hard to find a name that's available but there are also many out there that are free to use. Using the sire and dam's name can work if it's clever but too many are so boring it's not funny, not least when they are named using one word from each of the sire and dam's name. Surely people have more imagination than that???

A guy I know always wanted to call his horse 'Prufrou'..............Pulled-Up, Refused, Unseated, Fell, Refused, nowhere, Unseated.

Thanks Isinglass, but I know all about the naming process! I know that it can be hard to find a name that's available but there are also many out there that are free to use. Using the sire and dam's name can work if it's clever but too many are so boring it's not funny, not least when they are named using one word from each of the sire and dam's name. Surely people have more imagination than that???

Well SL, not trying to teach you to suck eggs as I know you are in the industry too, but you did ask me where my rant came from - so I replied to you! And maybe others on here do not know how hard it is to name, or what the process is either.

Yep, there are many that are free to use but a lot of them are not what you might want to use, which was the point I was making.

Often when I see a rubbish name lacking imagination, as you say, I think it might just be because people lose interest when they are refused so many names that would better suit their particular circumstances.

It gets worse when the horse is owned in partnership because people give up. Hence the crap names which have 'boy' 'girl and 'lad' etc etc added to a word they want just to get on with naming the beast!

So, go on, what would you, or what have you named yours then???

The name I'd like for a horse, just because it sounds good has already been given to a non performer- Shock and Awe. Alternative is Brasidas, a brave, intelligent and resourceful Spartan general.

The winner of the bumper at Killarney is rather intruigingly named: Seldom Fed. :eek:

I don't mind names that have multiple words rolled up into one. Noel Glynn has been giving Dessie Scahill nightmares for years doing this!

Sorry Isinglass, my question to you was pretty much rhetorical.

I have several rough ideas for names, none of which are finalised at present. I also have a few that I will consider using in the future which I know to be available at the moment.

Sorry Isinglass, my question to you was pretty much rhetorical.

I have several rough ideas for names, none of which are finalised at present. I also have a few that I will consider using in the future which I know to be available at the moment.

Out of interest how do you know the names are available for sure? Any checks Weatherbys do over the phone etc are not 100% guaranteed...they are just checked for spelling similarities.

Weatherby's have a website that owners can utilise when they have a horse in training and gain a code for access, Gal. It has a name checker on the site so that you can do a cursory check to see if your chosen name is available. It can tell you straight off if your name is taken or not - I do know that it's not infallible though since a friend tried to name his filly after checking the availability on there first. However, he was trying to be clever and get something borderline risque through - which I'm not interested in!

As for not wanting to share possible names on here - why would I?? How hacked off would you be if you mentioned a load of names that gave someone else an idea to use so you missed out on it?? Any name I'm seriously interested in I'll probably submit as a genuine name for a horse - so why should I risk losing out on it just by saying what I'd like to use on an internet forum?!

You can do the very same thing over the phone by ringing up...it is literally just a spelling check. It will certainly tell you if they are gone but as you say it is not certain to be correct if it says they are available as they have to do other checks on them such as pronunciation etc. For instance I have just checked, Montjeu obviously is not available but if I ask for Mondew they will tell me it is cleared on spelling but down the line it could easily be stopped.

Last edited:
The first time I heard about Hardy Eustace, I thought the commentator was saying 'Hardly Useless' (obviously didn't switch my hearing aid on!) so if that was free I might use that as even if the horse was useless at least I'd have a giggle about it.

As for not wanting to share possible names on here - why would I?? How hacked off would you be if you mentioned a load of names that gave someone else an idea to use so you missed out on it?? Any name I'm seriously interested in I'll probably submit as a genuine name for a horse - so why should I risk losing out on it just by saying what I'd like to use on an internet forum?!

Cos most of us aren't that paranoid love and it's just in our wildest dreams anyway, there's always another name I suppose. If anyone calls their horse Simian Approach in a few years time before I do i'm gonna pay yer a visit.:o

It's not paranoia, it's reality, love.

This is an open forum which anyone can read and not only am I loathe to give anyone ideas, I don't see why it should be demanded of me that I should tell people what I would want to name my horse - can't I keep some things to myself if I so wish?

"Just in our wildest dreams" it ain't either - some of us do own horses you know, someone has to!

Back