Kauto and the King George

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Yes or No? Has all those miles on the clock caught up with him?

I'm kind of in the latter camp and already have a small bet on Long Run.

Apologies if this come in a bit early but Arc apart there is nothing on the flat grabbng my attention at the moment.

Don't see him winning another Gold Cup but I think Kempton might just be within his abilities still. Just looking quickly at the betting and Long Run along with What A Friend are the two that appeal but hard to get my head around that just yet!

Considering last year's KG was just about the most brilliant performance of his career and he knocked the stuffing out of himself when he made that terrible mistake in the GC when he had been over exuberant before and they were not going anywhere near fast enough for him - I suspect opposing KS in this year's KG will just as unwise a course as opposing him in the last four !

Last edited:
I took 80 & 85 about Sizing Europe on Betfair -2 hours later the trainer was on atr saying he is an intended runner.I think he is an ew bet at 25s.

There is a 2 mile 6 chase at Punchestown at the end of October -was called the Daily Star Chase.I would prefer he went the Champion Chase route but I respect the trainer and can see the logic.

They will do really well to settle him over any trip over 2 miles - he carted the whole way in the Arkle.

Yes or No? Has all those miles on the clock caught up with him?

I'm kind of in the latter camp and already have a small bet on Long Run.

Bit of news re Long Run.Apparently looking extremely well after what was probably the first proper break of his life and now back at Nicky Henderson's.

Due to start off in the Paddy Power Gold Cup as connections feel the shorter trip and quicker pace will suit Long Run first time out, when he tends to be fizzy. In addition, Sam Waley Cohen will be able to claim weight in the Paddy Power (Long Run is currently handicapped on 158.) Connections feel if the horse is to be a serious rival for Kauto Star in the King George he will need to put up a good performance from that mark.

Last edited:
Cheers DG for the update - I did not rate him the banker for Cheltenham many on here did but I still see him as a top class prospect. Any word on how Punchestowns is?

If I could choose one target for Kauto next season, it would be the Racing Post Chase.

Will never happen though. :(

Really disappointed that they are stepping him up in trip. Durkan Chase as a prep I presume?

Maybe not an exact example but so many were against Imperial Commander stepping up too and he didnt do too bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive SE fan, and I think that a strongly run 2mile is right up his street, but if they want to try step him up in trip, why not?

I think it's within his capabilities as the race and the course are ideal for him and if he did win, it would lovely if they retired him after. Long Run a serious contender and the main obstacle imo.

Of course - he is an exciting prospect where ever he goes - but I have so many images of him not just pulling, but nearly running away with his jockey over two miles, that I have serious doubts about him getting home over further. I just do not see the need to step him up - but as Luke says I have alot of time for the trainer so we will see.

Three miles may be an issue for Sizing Europe but it's interesting that Henry de Bromhead threw him in at 20f on his chasing debut. He raced very evenly and happily at that trip then, so I don't see it as a problem. I'm aware that some will point out the gulf in class, but if you knew nothing about SE before watching his chase debut, you'd be drooling about his prospects as a chaser at that trip and further. Have a look again.

Oh please.....how on earth can Black Jack Ketchum be compared to Moscow Flyer and Kauto Star?????? It's got me knackered......

Because he won a crap load of races then dropped like a stone, it wasn't anything to do with what races he won just what happened after

Because he won a crap load of races then dropped like a stone, it wasn't anything to do with what races he won just what happened after

In fairness, the thread is about the longevity of great champions and when age begins to catch them up. For all he suckered us in, Black Jack Ketchum didn't win a single open Grade 1 in his entire career, and I speak as someone who planned to retire when he won a champion hurdle (yes, I did say champion).

Back