Kauto Star

Poultices are marvellous things.

I well remember as a kid having boils poulticed. The discomfort in the application was always well worth the effect. I remember when one poultice was removed from my knee there was about an inch of near-solid pus attached to the poultice and the previously-infected area looked incredibly clean and healthy and pain-free.

Can you still buy the stuff (Kaolin, I think it was called)?

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Feb 18 2008, 12:28 PM
I well remember as a kid having boils poulticed. I remember when one poultice was removed from my knee there was about an inch of near-solid pus attached to the poultice
Perhaps, a little bit more detail than was really necessary there

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Feb 18 2008, 12:28 PM
Poultices are marvellous things.

I well remember as a kid having boils poulticed. The discomfort in the application was always well worth the effect. I remember when one poultice was removed from my knee there was about an inch of near-solid pus attached to the poultice and the previously-infected area looked incredibly clean and healthy and pain-free.

Can you still buy the stuff (Kaolin, I think it was called)?
Yes you can still buy it.... a Kaolin Poultice is fantastic as you have described :) I have only had to poulice murphy once and it did the job ...He was off work for a couple days , then back to normal routine .... :)

Originally posted by Maruco@Feb 17 2008, 12:29 PM
If they didn't for any reason, Our Vic could finally end up winning the Ryanair as the only horse left contesting it!
cannot put my finger on why, but reckon 2008 is Our Vic's year :shy:

Having backed Fondmort & Taranis the last 2 years it's not as if I'm in anyway emotionally or financially attached to him so just can’t understand it!

I got a humungeous sting from a large green insect down int he S of France once, which made my arm swell up so much I couldn't move my elbow. It was agony, and got worse over two days. I made a crushed garlic poultice - stung like mad at first, I can still remember it! - and strapped it around my arm for the night. Problem gone in the morning!

I used garlic and herb poultices [thyme, rosemary mainly] on our sheep in Italy, which would keep getting huge blackthorn spikes in their necks and faces, from pushing in the thickets for shade. In the heat the pierced flesh would infect immedialtely and then abcess. Ditto for bad cuts after shearing. I'd strap these smelly pads on really tight... The poultices worked a dream. I used it on infected hooves too.

Remedies like that work even better on animals than on people - they are still very 'close to nature' compared with ourselves! - and their systems seem to absorb and respond to natural rmeedies more readily. Doesn't half save the vets bills too! And saves stuffing your animals with chemicals, which are very bad for some of them, esp dogs [affects their nervous systems]

Hmmmm ..... the Ryanair is very crowded right now isn't it? And it's one race I woulnd't dream of having an antepost bet on before NRNB

Back