Kempton Park under threat

If they moved the jump races to Huntingdon or Wincanton, they/it would then be the only sharp right handed Grade 1 course in the UK. What's the difference?

Spot on, Archie. I wonder if there any advocates for moving it to either of the courses you mention, to preserve the 'unique' challenge of a 3m G1 chase on a flat, right-handed track?

If there are, I bet you could count them on the fingers of a leper's hand.

Come on guys. Seriously. Move the King George to either mentioned means you couldn't get more than about 5000 in.

And Nick, the King George is on a par with the Gold Cup itself, the Tingle Creek, whilst a fine race in its own right, is not.

As for misty eyed bollox. It's nothing of the sort. It's about maintaining what is a unique test in the calendar year, that can't be replicated in the way that has been suggested. You said it yourself. Thie race allows the classy two and a half milers to take on the staying chasers which just won't happen at Sandown.

The simple fact is that this does not need to happen, and is to the detriment of jumps racing. How is that misty eyed bollox?

By the way I'd say you're more like 1/10 the latter than 10/11 the pair. :whistle::lol:

Last edited:
Henderson and Sherwood will be retired by then but they're still allowed a view. They are also, like Down, ex-public schoolboys but that's ok because they're on the head in the sand side.

Last edited:
Archie I get your reasoning but I really don't agree with it.

You find the course depressing. I on the other hand agree it's not the prettiest in the world and doesn't match the big stands at Sandown, but I've never found anything wrong with it (apart from the beach which JCE are also responsible for), and either way don't see that as even a remotely valid reason for closing it.

You add that the addition of affordable housing is a good reason. I also fundamentally disagree. Affordable housing can be built on any of the multiple sites that are currently being developed in and around the M25 ring, or any of the multitude of others that will be developed up to and past the period that being proposed for the development of Kempton. The truth is the majority of sites built these days are typically three, four, and five bed standard build, or apartments. I'd also love to know what people think 'affordable housing' means in an area like Kempton? You're talking about prices well above the national average. Affordable my @rse! JCE and Redrow are hardly nights in shining armour coming to the rescue of the poverty stricken in London suburbia!!!

All I've heard is a sales pitch to get it sold off from JCE that some people are prepared to swallow. The fact that I genuinely can't believe that people can't see this is hardly burying my head in the sand which is the side I'm apparently on. I am yet to hear a single good reason for closing Kempton that outweighs the loss. If someone made a coherent case then perhaps I could be persuaded. They haven't, so I'm not.

As for Henderson and Sherwood, quite frankly I don't care where they were educated, just as I don't care where Down was educated. Anyone that does needs to go and take a good hard look at themselves They are successful jumps trainers of many years, expressing an opinion that they believe is for the good of jumps racing. They have no financial interest in the outcome, only a racing interest, and much of what they've had to say is hard to argue with.

Last edited:
Henderson and Sherwood will be retired by then but they're still allowed a view. They are also, like Down, ex-public schoolboys but that's ok because they're on the head in the sand side.

Henderson won't be retired by then. I didn't say Walsh was entitled to an opinion, I said no skin off his nose meaning he wouldn't care either way which he obviously doesn't. Wonder what his opinion would be if it was decided a few years ago and Kauto was still around?

Kempton Park to close

Henderson won't be retired by then. I didn't say Walsh was entitled to an opinion, I said no skin off his nose meaning he wouldn't care either way which he obviously doesn't. Wonder what his opinion would be if it was decided a few years ago and Kauto was still around?

Exactly my thoughts on reading Ruby's nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Clearly Mullins does not agree with Walsh judging by his column today .

JCR have trashed Kempton - the ugly 1990s redevelopment - then they ran the flat programme down - then the cynical AW development which was sold as being intended to provide quality racing to big crowds but in fact the racing has been on the flat outside Rosebery and Sirenia stakes days utter **** .

Their complete indifference to anything but media rights income on the Flat is exemplified by the Jubilee Handicap and the Jubilee Course . There was no reason why the Jubilee course needed to be closed . It was clearly closed because they wanted to build on it but so far have not got it past the planners . The Jubilee Handicap whilst it may have lost its lustre where it managed to have the same value and prestige as the Cambridgeshire may have long gone but as recently as 1993 - the last year before JCR took over Jubilee Handicap was worth £21,000 to the winner ( today's value ) £40,931) and over 10,000 people turned up as can be seen from the video below . In those days Kempton was far from an ugly course .

By the time they finally killed it off in 2014 over a 100 years after it was first run 3000 turned up , it was a mere London Mile qualifier and worth £7,000 .

Happier days ( and a great ride from Lester )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dee5QXvrfzU&feature=share

Can you imagine how terrible the ground would have been at Sandown today . Also many of Sandown and Kempton's best fixtures are close in date . The Tolworth was last weekend in between two Kempton fixtures and Sandown's Feb meeting is a week before the Betbright Chase .

As for Henderson and Sherwood, quite frankly I don't care where they were educated, just as I don't care where Down was educated. Anyone that does needs to go and take a good hard look at themselves
It was Venusian, in his intemperate critique of Down (the finest racing journalist and broadcaster of the last 20 years), who brought up privileged education as a bar to common sense. As an alumnus of 2 of the finest boys' schools in the country (irony/Jack Daniels chip overload), I'd testify that advancement in later life has nothing to do with schooling.
Let's face it, the question is, 'is one race worth half a billion pounds?' In my view, no, but I respect alternative views when not abusive.

Last edited:
If either Ascot or Sandown were similar tracks to Kempton, apart from their right-handedness, it might be possible to come to terms with this dreadful decision.

But neither of them are flat and well-drained like Kempton, they're much more likely to come up with bog-like conditions which suit an entirely different type of horse.

I suspect this cunning plan has been in the pipeline for quite a few years, the way they've run down Kempton has been depplorable.

And, somebody please tell me, why does Newmarket merit (if that's the right word) an all-weather course? Wasn't Chelmsford supposed to be the answer to Newmarket's needs in this respect?

I have no doubt it has been planned for ages- I suspect at the latest since the 2005 closure of the flat course . Cynical and despicable and a total betrayal of the principles upon which RHT was set up .

Part of that money will be spent on improved drainage at Sandown.

Seems like a good business decision to me, plain and simple. You'll still get quality animals in the KG no matter where it's run as long as the prize money is there. The last winner who wasn't a Gold Cup horse was Edredon Bleu which I recall as a pretty poor renewal.

Part of that money will be spent on improved drainage at Sandown.

Seems like a good business decision to me, plain and simple. You'll still get quality animals in the KG no matter where it's run as long as the prize money is there. The last winner who wasn't a Gold Cup horse was Edredon Bleu which I recall as a pretty poor renewal.

It is a completely different race at Sandown as illustrated by Kicking King who zipped round Kempton but was nearly caught by Monkerhostin at Sandown .

As as for the idea they can ever produce such good ground at Sandown by some more drainage works that is extremely doubtful .

It is a completely different race at Sandown as illustrated by Kicking King who zipped round Kempton but was nearly caught by Monkerhostin at Sandown .

As as for the idea they can ever produce such good ground at Sandown by some more drainage works that is extremely doubtful .

The drainage added at Cheltenham some years ago worked wonders for their ground.

Monkerhostin was worth a good few extra pounds around Sandown but debating form from nearly 10 years ago is probably getting away from the point a little! Yes, you can go back to One Man and Florida Pearl for those horses which were caught between a rock and a hard place but recent history shows that Gold Cup horses are often campaigned through the KG and invariably win it.

Animals known as 2.5 milers have often fared poorly. Looking back a few years the best performers from that category are:-

2016 Josses Hill - last
2015 Al Ferof - 13 lengths 3rd
2014 Al Ferof - 9 lengths 3rd
2013 Al Ferof - 14 lengths 3rd
2012 Champion Court - 16 lengths 4th
2011 Somersby - 19 lengths 4th
2010 Riverside Theatre - 12 lengths 2nd
2009 Barbers Shop - tailed off 3rd
2008 Voy Por Ustedes - 9 lengths 3rd
2007 Our Vic - 11 lengths 2nd

That's the best performers.

In fact, just going back to that last KG at Sandown, Impek was just 5 lengths behind KK and Monkerhostin so he's been the closest any of them have got!

Yes, you can say Silviniaco Conti has excelled there when he's often been found wanting at Cheltenham but he'd still have taken in the KG every season at Sandown. I doubt there'll be any fall off in the amount of middle distance animals entered when it moves to Sandown and as in the last 10 years they'll come up short.

I still don't like but If the worst happened I'd agree with Ascot being the only realistic option. Sandown's capacity is somewhere in the region of 15,000 I think, which is close to 6000 short of Kempton. Whereas Ascot could easily cope with the numbers and take significantly more. Ascot can also cope with the numbers coming in, whereas Esher on Tingle Creek day is a ball-ache of mighty proportions, and I really wouldn't fancy it on Boxing Day.

The problem being of course that Ascot isn't a JCE course. I'm not certain of the rules here, but I don't think JCE are automatically entitled to keep the race, and it gets reviewed. Someone with better knowledge than me can probably confirm? I hope so, and I also hope JCE get what they deserve if this goes through.

Going back to the bigger debate, my understanding is that Sandown's tired and ageing grandstand wouldn't be redeveloped under this proposal. It would merely be getting a makeover, which reading earlier posts isn't what one or two had thought initially. Yes they propose improving the drainage as mentioned, but I too have doubts about just how much that will improve conditions given the location and topography.

As I said before the only real benefit is to Newmarket, who get a third course, and also a second AW course within 15 miles. Hardly needed is it! Hang on, there's another benefit. Suburban Londoner's will be able to buy two bedroom houses for less than half a million under the guise of affordable housing, and won't have to get on the train like the rest of us!

Seriously guys, as much as some of you seem to be happy to let JCE make a huge long-term mistake, I'm still waiting to hear where the benefits are? I'm hearing people taking positions, but a week on I'm yet to see someone here post a coherent argument for this going ahead, just as I've seen nothing in the announcements or reports that would remotely make me consider changing my position. As I see it the only people who come out ahead are Redrow (significantly), the flat racing community in Newmarket (who don't need it anyway), and JCE execs, who's integrity is surely now in question given they have clearly been planning to sell jumps racing down the river for over a decade, and evidence suggests that we lost the turf course and the graded races as part of this bigger plan.

Last edited:
1. Sandown has a capacity in excess of 18500. There were 18621 there for the Whitbread meeting in 2015.

2. I'm not trying to persuade anyone that this is a good idea, just that there is plenty of financial justification. Do you think that retaining the KG at Kempton is worth the loss of up to £500M to racing?

3. How do you define this as being a 'huge long-term mistake?

It's a business decision, end of story. This isn't a case of a blossoming empire thinking how best to expand, it's a failing company which has to make tough decisions in order to survive. Inevitably it means that awful word - streamlining. If you've got a chain of shops and one of them is making a consistent loss then of course you're going to sell if someone offers you a small fortune for it.

Asking for people to list benefits is the wrong way to look at it. There was no option C here.

Maybe, but the three winners at Sandown, One Man, Kicking King and Long Run all won the KG at Kempton as well so it's not as if racing history completely changed then and there's no evidence to say it will be in future if the change goes ahead.

1. Sandown has a capacity in excess of 18500. There were 18621 there for the Whitbread meeting in 2015.

2. I'm not trying to persuade anyone that this is a good idea, just that there is plenty of financial justification. Do you think that retaining the KG at Kempton is worth the loss of up to £500M to racing?

3. How do you define this as being a 'huge long-term mistake?

Thanks Archie. I appreciate the direct response, but you won't be surprised that I'm pushing back again. :D

1. Yes, but still a 15% smaller capacity than Kempton, and when you have a full house at Sandown half those people have been queuing in their car for two hours for the last 3 miles of their journey. The capacity at Ascot is 70,000 for further comparison, and it's easily accessible. If this decision goes ahead what case could you possibly make for Sandown taking the fixture?

2. Racing isn't losing £500m. It's just not realising it. What will Kempton be worth in 2030 or 2050. Considerably more. £500m doesn't go very far. In fact it's not enough to include a re-build of the very tired stands at Sandown. Perhaps they'll sell off two or three more courses for that one? And how is another race course that's not needed at Newmarket in any way justification? The point is, I don't believe there is financial justification.

3. Read above. It is surely a mistake to sell off a prize asset when the justification for doing so just doesn't stack up.

Of course, as Bear points out, the reason for the decision is mis-management and the need to raise cash because of it. The messaging from JCE is nothing more than window dressing to hide this fact. What is being missed, with all the furor and strength of feeling about this announcement, is the competency of that organisation and whether it should be called into question. If so, given their status, then it's right to question their ability to make these decisions 'on behalf' of the rest of us. He misses the point completely about this being like any other business decision. It's not. They are run as not for profit with a very specific mandate. Where he's right is that business people are making the decision and treating it like any other. That's why there's no Option C. But the point is there easily can be an Option C, and there should be an option C. In fact Option C should actually be Option B. I'll explain..........

Lest we forget, JCE are run as not for profit for the good of racing (even if JCE seem to have forgotten themselves!), and in that case surely Kempton Park should be sold as an ongoing concern as a racecourse? How much is it worth in that case, probably 60%-80% of what they'll ultimately sell to Redrow for. But so what if it's as little as 40%? It won't be, but the bottom line is in their remit as an organisation, 'For the good of racing'. What Option B should have been is very simple. Kempton stays, they clear their debts from mis-management, they have more left over to reinvest, and the whole of racing doesn't lose Kempton. Isn't that the way it should work? Why does everyone seem to think that the only proposal they've made is the only option?

So using Grassy's phrase from earlier in the thread, who is it that's burying their head in the sand (not aimed directly at you Archie or Bear)? The truth is it's those people who have accepted JCE's proposals as the only option. Find me a a group of investors and, given Kempton's location, I guarantee I'd find it impossible to operate it at a loss and certainly at a profit just by applying business basics. Meanwhile the investors asset would continue to appreciate year on year. For example, I would love to take a look at their non-raceday revenues. I'd like to see their marketing spend and how it's been used. I'd like to see what events have taken place their in the last year. I'd like to see their meeting room rates and usage. I'd like to see how function rooms have been used. I'd like to see their buy rates and margins for catering and drinks. I'd like to see their strategic plan, their balance sheet, their directors payments. I can go on and on and on.

As I said I'm open to persuasion, but I still haven't heard a good argument that even comes close to convincing me this is a good idea. You're going to have to try harder, or at the very least pick some holes in my position. I doubt it's possible though if I'm honest as we're a week on now and nobody has found a killer reason for killing Kempton.

Last edited:
If a potential £500 million injection into Jumps racing means less to you than retaining the one good meeting annually at Kempton, you will never be convinced, Paul.

The Jockey Club rooms in Newmarket have a higher asset value than Kempton racecourse I'm led to believe, if so why can't they sell those ? They are no more than a private club facility these days anyway.

Bazalgette conclusively killed that argument Saturday morning, when confirming said Rooms were part of racing's 'heritage'.

Go figure.

Back