Kempton Park

I was thinking the one Uncle Goober started, Flame, but it's not a big deal.

Dissapointing to lose yet another jumps card.

NH racing is straight of course :blink::lol:

Yes it is, since when has there been an AW season? not for me its always been flat and jumps but this new AW stuff is just a playground to pay for big entries and petrol in flat season.

If any racing is straight bar at the top level, I'll eat my own hat. They're all as bad as one another.

All-weather has its place, it provides racing all year round in most! weather conditions at any time of day. It also has been the making of some very decent horses and it needs supporting to improve the standard.

It's no prob IS

I have to laugh though because if ever I make a statement that seems to go against all known views on here I get about 20 responses telling me I'm naive. lacking knowledge or whatever.

It's quite interesting that racing is viewed by most as being bent to a degree...but now it appears that its only the flat that is so..and not one person has disagreed with your view...which you are fully entitled to hold imo.

I'm not having a go here by the way...just an observation that it isn't necessarythe view that is passed that is questioned sometimes...but the person passing it:lol:

just out of interest...how is the flat bent but not NH?

just as I post that..Stan posts a response...maybe I'm not alone in thinking that there is no dividing line re bentness between the codes

IS...do you think that the AW is more bent than turf flat racing...and if so why

Each code is just as bent as each other, the AW just appears more so due to more dubious personalities being regulars on the circuit and there are less races. I love the Flat season, I'm so much happier with life between the Craven and Breeders Cup but there are some shocking goings on at times.

It's much easier to disguise a bent ride over the jumps but I'm not opening that can of worms now.

The same authorities preside over all 3 "codes" and they're equally incompetent at managing all 3.

That said, I do find myself asking the question "who's the connections and how bent are they?" when backing on the all-weather a lot more than on the flat turf. That's probably to do with more decent quality racing on the turf though and I tend to bet on that rather than gash class 5 handicaps round Southwell.

that's a question I ask myself too GS regardign the a/w - and I don't bet on many races in that code for that exact reason. It just compounds the problem of so many 'in and out' and unreliable beasts on the track. You just have to learn to pick your races carefully, to stay in profit - esp at Wolves! Wolfish ain't innit...

The thing about AW racing is that it is automatically a loss making enterprise UNLESS you make your money from backing them - which is why so much of it is dodgy as hell. There is no way AW horses can even remotely have a chance of even clawing back some money towards their outlay, especially at tracks like Kempton in the crap races, when they are racing to win £1300 - the owner stands to pick up just over a grand, if they're lucky, after all the deductions are taken out.

Which is why AW racing tends to be bent as you like, not that the other codes don't have plenty of skullduggery going on as well though.

I agree aw racing can look and be dodgy but at the end of the day it's all part of the fun isn't it.

No, not in any way! There should be zero corruption in an ideal world, it's certainly not fun to lose money on a horse as you didn't manage to guess whether it was a going day!

Dom's point is excellent, training costs and BHA fees are astronomical and the only way to make the game pay is to back (or lay!) horses. This needs addressing in order to reduce corruption in the game. It explains why the markets on the AW are so topsy turvey.

Chapman also said on Get On that he would shoot himself if Sam Thomas wasn't riding Denman in the Gold Cup...

Suicide watch anyone?

I would happily watch it ....yes

Would rather he sawed his own head off with a rusty hacksaw but will settle for a bullet i suppose

Chaparse strongly defending the Eaves ride when I thought he was completely strangling the horse. He did get unlucky in the straight.

Arguably but I thought it was a brain dead ride, I might be pocket talking but over a third of the races money was matched on the horse, the majority of it at prices when it was drifting out in the market. I think he could have placed had he used his head/tried a bit harder.

Back