King George and Queen Elizabeth Stakes Day

Marb

Journeyman
Feels as if folks are more interested in talking about the U.S election than racing on here at the moment. I can understand why.

This is a good race tomorrow isn't it? I've gone for Rebels Romance in my Lucky 15. I'm interested in hearing how you lot think this race will unfold. Rebels himself came from last to first in the Breeders Cup Turf, then made all in Dubai. So I'm interested where they ride him tomorrow. Maybe track leaders or sit third or fourth? Just because he made all in Dubai, it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do to try and make all here. Let's see.

Fresh and Orazio in the big handicap. Best guesses for me.

It's a totally crap race for a midsummer international championship race but Rebel's Romance is the bet (if there is one in the race).

Everything I've been reading from various sources says it's a good race tomorrow. It could be better I guess, but could be worse. The ones with chances could all put in career bests, in theory anyway.

Industry media aren't going to talk down the biggest race of the year.

It's a decent G1 race but no more than that.

The G2 at York is shaping up as a more exciting race.

I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't in that York race. I've taken on Alflaila who I had a good bet on at Royal Ascot with King's Gambit. If Alflaila wins I'll seriously be kicking myself. Just one of those things. I didn't like the way Alflaila found nothing at the business end last time.

Last edited:
You don't need to have a bet in the race, Marble ;)

These were my conclusions (prices as at yesterday afternoon):

Horse
MON
Notes
RPR
BO
Alflaila
?
9/4
Royal Rhyme
+p
10/1
Passenger
+p
13/8
King's Gambit
+p
3/1
Ancient Rome

This could be a cracking little race with three highly progressive types for Alflaila to try and fend off. There is no each-way betting with Ancient Rome coming out so it’s probably just a race to watch. However, Royal Rhyme strikes me as the one that’s seriously over-priced so I’ll have a small bet on him and hope for the best.

Tbh, I reckon Rebel's Romance has done most of his racing around sharp tracks,and he'lll wondr what's hit him,given the severerst test of his whole career. Great race,though.

Bet365 super boost Augusts Rodin 9/4. I’m restricted to £10 but others may be able to get more on

Tbh, I reckon Rebel's Romance has done most of his racing around sharp tracks,and he'lll wondr what's hit him,given the severerst test of his whole career. Great race,though.
I'm in complete agreement with you -I make him a decent place lay at1.75.They brought him back from America for this race -is it a sign of confidence or is it an afterthought.You pay to find out.

You don't need to have a bet in the race, Marble ;)

This could be a cracking little race with three highly progressive types for Alflaila to try and fend off. There is no each-way betting with Ancient Rome coming out so it’s probably just a race to watch. However, Royal Rhyme strikes me as the one that’s seriously over-priced so I’ll have a small bet on him and hope for the best.

Cracking finish to an unsatisfactory race.

The winner had them covered regardless. Could call him the winner some way out. The fav looked beaten to me some way out aswell.

Don't get why they felt the need for pace in the race. The fav has pace for 10f. Strange decision.

It's worth noting that the winner has plenty of stamina in his pedigree and is unlikely to meet similar circumstances anytine soon.

Did think he could run a big race and was cussing myself turning in.
Told myself the pacemaker was a bluff and that put me off 😆

The winner had them covered regardless. Could call him the winner some way out. The fav looked beaten to me some way out aswell.

Don't get why they felt the need for pace in the race. The fav has pace for 10f. Strange decision.
Agree with everything you've said.

Can anyone here remember a horse with stringhalt standing at stud ?
Is this the reason Goliath was gelded ?
There was resistance for years allowing geldings to run in Group 1 races.
Memories of Knockroe, Bedtime, Teleprompter and others not getting their chance in these islands and having to go further afield to prove their worth while Kelso, Forego and others blitzed through their careers stuck in the craw of a lot of racing fans.
How seriously this was taken was shown when a leading Irish trainer received a three month ban for winning a colts only pattern race with a gelding fifty or so years ago.
Thankfully common sense prevailed and we all got to enjoy Vintage Crop , Cirrus des Aigles et al.
Last week we had You Got To Me winning a classic wearing a tongue tie.
Connections said that she had no respiratory issues but it helped her concentrate....
Group 1 races are championship races to help develop and improve the breed.
In my time there was always a pre race parade, blinkers were considered a "rogue's badge " and red hoods were confined to nursery stories .
Nowadays anything goes, the Irish 1000 Gns this year had more runners in red hoods than not; hardly a good sign of the times.
Should there be a ban in "aids " (tongue ties, blinkers, red hoods etc) in Group 1 races to preserve and improve the breed anyone ?

Back