King George VI Chase

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
Needs a thread of its own. If there is one already, please merge.

Reported today that Gary Moore has decided against supplementing Ar Mad.

"I think we would have been biting more than we could chew. It looks like it is going to be a very tough race."

Last edited:
From a sporting point of view - the race really needs Thistlecrack, otherwise it looks like a disappointing renewal. The Bardstock's can be as bullish as they like with regards Coneygree but I couldn't have him at all to reverse placings with Cue Card.

Think we could end up with quite a weak 6 or 7 runner races and Cue Card really should follow up last year's win.

The big question here is does Thistlecrack show up? I don't think so *. I think they'll go Kauto Star chase and then either Cheltenham to take on Djakadam or follow the Coneygree route and go to Newbury in February to take on the big boys in the Denman Chase.

*I hope not. I have 3 different accums all riding on CC winning the KG!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
From a sporting perspective I hope CC, Thistlecrack, Coneygree and a decent Closutton representative turns up, but personally would love it to be a 5 runner race and a jog round for Cue Card :)

Weathers going to be crucial over the next few days, but can’t see any rain forecast so am guessing it could be good ground. That will only help CC

I’ll be there so happy to meet up for a mulled wine if anyone else is making the trip…

Not much rain around at all still, certainly worth bearing in mind with regards a race like the Welsh National, the mudlarks it usually suits could well be out of luck.

I'd rather have Valseur Lido in the race than Thistlecrack, to be honest. I'm not convinced the latter will give Cue Card anything much to worry about, but I think the former might.*

*Still think CC hoses-up regardless.

Pretty sure Thistlecrack will go the for the Feltham, meaning Cue Card is a shoo in. Ground may be decent at Kempton too which I'd guess means that Coneygree may be re-routed to the Lexus.
Anyone see the Interview on ATR Monday night with S Bradstock? Reckon she was bollockeyed!

I only saw the quotes the next day, Tiggers, and it certainly sounded like the ramblings of someone who has a Tawny Port on their cornflakes each morning!

Last edited:
I have visions of the house from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when thinking what their stables must be like. Would be fun having a horse with them though...

Closutton snitchers apparently informed Paddy that Faugheen won't turn up at Kempton so given that they only had a runner when Faugheen had a pet around for the trip, this time they won't have runner in the KG. I'm won't be disappointed as some of you if we get Coneygree vs CC, I think that'll be a great rematch and I expect the change of tactics and race fitness to reverse the placings. I can't wait for the Christmas racing! :D

Have a cheese and onion sandwich Aug I've made too many :0)and stop talking shyte. Faugheen will run at kempton Odin told Thor and Thor told me ;)

Last edited:
Paddy must be more powerful than Odin then, he has Mullins horses correctly predicted for years now. Paddy's Mullins moles are strong, more than your onion sandwich. Not unless RR changes that decision in the last days, then we won't see Faugheen at Kempton.

The Ryanair does look the easier option and the difference in prize money wouldn't be worth crossing the water for when he can send VVM.

That said is the horse going to run anywhere.....the best indication he is ready to run will be when he's at the post.

I am just wondering if Coneygree deserves more credit than I have been giving him for his 2nd behind Cue Card.

His first win after a year off he beat a nobody by just over a length. Next step was the Kauto Star and granted a couple fell but he wins by 40 lengths from 2 horses who both won shortly afterwards.

That's a huge improvement from race 1 to race 2 so it's likely he's be a lot closer to Cue Card this time.

I would expect Coneygree to go off like a bat out of hell and try and serve Cue Card his meatloaf on a plate to him :0)

The writing was on the wall at Haydock as far out as 6 from home but Coneygree stuck to the task until the 2nd last and finished legless,

It's just got to be closer this time as Coneygree will strip much fitter........should be fascinating to watch.

With his rose coloured glasses on Tizzard must be ultra confident that Cue Card will beat Coneygree again so the chances he'll run Thistlecrack unless Cue Card is injured are somewhere between nil and zero IMO

There's every chance Coneygree will break Tizzard heart if he aims both TS and CC for that race :-) Remember Coneygree will receive a different ride now, Dickie won't take him so easy early on, he'll make it a stamina test. Plus race fitness. If all goes to plan it won't be how close he'll get to CC this time, it'll be more of what the real Coneygree can do to him.

I mentioned this in an earlier post and I'll mention it again now. The Bradstock's basically attributed the heavy ground at Haydock to his defeat. They are now saying if it's good ground over xmas he'll stay in his box!!! SB basically said it's good/soft or nothing for him now!! This horse once absolutely thrived in heavy ground putting others to his sword with his jumping and bold front running tactics!!

Sounds a lot to me like the legs (or leg) are not next or near what they used to be which is understandable. A leg injury has thwarted some serious horses over the years and must rank amongst the most difficult to come back from. They don't come back is a saying we're all used to hearing & in terms of NH horses & leg injuries where jumping is the name of the game sadly it's all too true. The reigning champ Don Cossack is another such candidate who may or may not see a racecourse again.

Last edited:
Is it really that odd to say heavy didn't suit and good is too quick - aren't there a lot in that bracket? And Heavy first time in a major race after a long lay-off... accentuates the problem. If he retained a leg problem he'd be retired, surely? The real question is, on the likely ground in the Gold Cup, has he still got the engine and jumping fluency? Sod the King George - Cue Card will win that, but over the longer trip at Cheltenham I think it'll be a different story.

But plenty of room for debate - if they all stay fit and continue to progress it's going to be the best GC for years x

Coneygree isn't the only horse who would prefer a bit of cut in the ground....Cue Card acts on good ground but I don't think it's his preferred surface.

No one but no one says stuff the King George every trainer wants to win it. That's an odd thing to say.

The King George is one of the most stamina sapping races of the season despite the track. The pace is so quick and relentless that year after year we see good horses beaten massive distances and finishing legless.

It is made for horses like Coneygree who if is as good as he was should have them all at it by 4 out...except Cue Card :0)

Of course the KG important - just a bit of hyperbole. Can't wait to watch it and see how they fare. Just saying I think Coneygree won't beat CC in it, but will when it comes to the Gold Cup

Coneygree out of the King George!
Didn't work well, unlikely to have his ground & won't have Nico - the reasons given by Sara Bradstock

Guess Thistlecrack will run so.

See a few on twitter saying the same granger, but not sure I understand why?
Tizzards still have Cue Card and the Million bonus to aim at - Is it that Coneygree won't be there to set a pace which makes the race easier for Thistlecrack to dip his toe in senior company?

Back