King George

Frankel

Senior Jockey
Just over a week to the race. Taghrooda now heading here. Certainly adds more spice to the race.

I think 1m4f on fast ground is right up Magician's alley. If the rain stays away in the next 10 days, that's my bet. I refuse to believe that Telescope is good enough to be 7/4 for this with a relatively strong field. As you say, the filly adds spice, but Eagle Top, Trading LEather, Flintshire and Noble Mission make it a deep field

If Harbinger had never existed Telescope would not be that price. Fast ground would make it a fascinating renewal.

Taghrooda was a nice lay at 1.61 for anyone who thought she would be that price on the day and the forecast weather/attraction of Ascot might mean that she would miss the race.

Agree with comments about Magician and Telescope. Eagle Top being supplemented would make it even more interesting. Looks a fair tool.

Eagle top could have been interesting but the fact Gosden is running the fillie is a negative for me.
Magician is the most likely winner , especially if there is no pace in the race.

Might just be JG rates the filly good enough anyway, in what promises to be the worst KG this century?

Might just be JG rates the filly good enough anyway, in what promises to be the worst KG this century?

I was not a racing fan at the time ( too young at 7 !) but when Dahlia won in 1973 a week after the Irish Oaks the pundits at the time may have thought it to be a p**s poor renewal. Very difficult to make such a judgement in advance.I remember Pawnesse winning in 76 and it was rated the race of the year on Pacemaker though the ratings of the first four were not great. Plenty of 120 plus rated horses involved to make the race very informative.

None of the above did much wrong in their careers (even Conduit won a Classic, 2 Breeders Cups, and was unfortunate not to finish closer than 4th in an Arc), but can't be held responsible for the level of their KG opposition.
For mine, connections have clearly seen something in Taghrooda we haven't - why else would a 3yo filly be in there?

They should think she is a good to firm fillie and the best chance to win a big one is this race, with a small field , the best horses in europe out and likely ground on her side.
I think she will not be good enough for Telescope , magician or even Muckhadram or flintshire,

Yowza, just seen the prices:

2/1 Telescope
5/2 Taghrooda
4/1 Magician
10/1 Eagle Top and Trading Leather
12/1 Flintshire and Mukhadram

I thought they had the filly right at 11/2, where is all the money coming from?
On fast ground Magician and Flintshire are overpriced.

It wont be an easy race to win if all those show up.
Tha archive section in Irish Field this week is from 1975.
A week before the King George there is speculation that Allez France may not run but Grundy has it all to do as the 3 year old crop nothing special as Derby form not working out.
Not a lot has changed since !

Flintshire for me. There was something about the Epsom race that impressed me.

Last edited:
It wont be an easy race to win if all those show up.
Tha archive section in Irish Field this week is from 1975.
A week before the King George there is speculation that Allez France may not run but Grundy has it all to do as the 3 year old crop nothing special as Derby form not working out.
Not a lot has changed since !
Exactly. I'm a left fielder, could not back anything under 7/1 for this all things considered, unless I could really see a champion emerging.

Last edited:
Despite the Oaks runner up running poorly yesterday I reckon Taghrooda is the real deal.

Its highly unlikely Eagle Top will run unless something goes amiss with the filly over the next few days.

Magician was flattered behind The Fugue IMO Treve simply never turned up and The Fugue herself was made to look like a world beater which for me she never was

I'd tend to look at Magician as not good enough based on his defeat by Noble Mission. He'll certainly have to improve more than a few pounds to win this.

I stated a couple of months ago Mukhadram would win a top prize this season. Unfortunately I never put my money where my mouth is and I don't see him repeating the Eclipse feat here as no matter how this is run tactically he'll be murdered for speed in the closing stages

Telescope looks to have come to himself at long last but beating Hillstar who I've said before wasn't 100% that day isn't exactly classic winning form.

Despite him looking the part at Ascot I doubt if he'll be able to handle John Gosden's filly.
Many good judges first thoughts after The Iaks is that she looked special and should take the boys on and they weren't thinking Telescope.......they were thinking Australia who's in a different league to Telescope IMO.

She's got the best form she looks mature beyond her years, oozes class and she's getting lumps of weight from the others.

Telescope is no Harbinger. He's rated 10lbs behind what Sea Moon was when he got slammed by Danedream and co.

Asking him to give 15lbs to Taghrooda is one helluva big ask and there's no way on this planet should he be favourite for this. That may be down to the Eagle Top will he won't he more than anything as if he did supplement him it wouldn't show much confidence in the filly. Who knows how these bookies think but they got this one wrong.

As much as I respect and am a huge fan of SMS he'd got more chance of walking on water filing a bottle with it and turning it into a bottle of Flurie than pulling that off.

Taghrooda will win this standing on her head and it wouldn't surprise me if she's starts fav and no better than 5/4 on the day.
To think you could have had 8/1 about her is a bit frustrating but:

Taghrooda @5/2 or better on the machine looks the bet of the season to me.

Yowza, just seen the prices:

2/1 Telescope
5/2 Taghrooda
4/1 Magician
10/1 Eagle Top and Trading Leather
12/1 Flintshire and Mukhadram

I thought they had the filly right at 11/2, where is all the money coming from?
On fast ground Magician and Flintshire are overpriced.

They thought she wasn't going to run they never laid 10 cents at those prices.
Noble Mission was 5/1 but you can have more than twice that now as he's going to France and the owners Flintshire is more likely to run here.

It's what's called being theiving c**** :lol:

I will go against the flow here -I like Taghrooda a lot,I think she has any amount I improvement in her.I expect her to dig deep and win next Saturday.5/2 is a poor price.

I don't think Taghrooda is within half a stone of G1 even with the allowance. Won't be sighted is what I'm thinking but it looks an unusually and worryingly substandard renewal which Telescope might find itself winning by default.

Having said that, I haven't actually checked the form!

What do people think of Flintshire and would fast ground be a problem? Group 1 winner, 8th in Arc and 2nd to Cirrus Des Aigles looks fair form compared to some rivals.

Lets hope we get decent ground. On that basis Eagle Top is my selection if supplemented tomorrow. Looks an exciting prospect. The way he put it to bed at Ascot was pretty smart.
If not then it's Magician for me. Decent ground and the trip ideal.
Taghrooda looks classy, though how good she is we just don't know yet. Saturday will be fascinating.
Can see why the likes of Flintshire and Trading Leather would have their e/w backers.
If Telescope hacks up then all credit to him. Just looks too short in a race of this nature in my view.

What do people think of Flintshire and would fast ground be a problem? Group 1 winner, 8th in Arc and 2nd to Cirrus Des Aigles looks fair form compared to some rivals.

Needs quick ground to show his worth. Won't run if soft I would imagine

Back