King George

I don't think Taghrooda is within half a stone of G1 even with the allowance. Won't be sighted is what I'm thinking but it looks an unusually and worryingly substandard renewal which Telescope might find itself winning by default.

Having said that, I haven't actually checked the form!

She strikes me as one who will dig deep ,very deep-the better the race the better she will be.

Yes but it would have to happen. I have had a quick look at the Oaks form and I'm struggling to get her above 115, the equivalent of 120 with the allowance. That's probably higher than I originally thought.

I'm curious, though, that Telescope is sitting on an OR of 114 (in the list of entries) when Phil Smith has him running to 123 in the Hardwicke.

Taghrooda won't be as good on a stiff track as she was at Epsom and Newmarket..i wouldn't be remotely interested..a similar chance to Eswarah who started at 9/1 and fell out back of telly here..her current odds are a joke

Last edited:
DO
The present card shows OR's at entry, many which have changed since.
RPR's show Taghrooda just 5lbs from the top, but there's more than ratings, or form, to her current momentum in the market. 3yo Fillies are unusual enough in the race, but she was entered against a much stronger field than she'll likely face now, the Hamdan operation know a top class filly when they have one, and (again on Saturday) she's been sparkling on the gallops; likely against some very useful types known to be in her stable.
Nobody knows how good she is, the portents, however, suggest she's a good deal better than you rate her.

Edited to add.
She'll probably be a deal better anyway over a stiff 12f, which would also explain Mukhadram's participation (to Wm Haggas's chagrin, so it would seem).

Last edited:
Second foal; dam 1m-1m6f winner (inc triple Listed; RPR 109), half-sister to Listed-placed 1m2f winner Ezalli out of unraced sister to 1m2f-1m4f Listed winner Ebaziya (dam of Group 1 winners Enzeli, Edabiya, Ebadiyla and Estimate)

Bred; placed and raced throughout her short career as a horse who needs a proper test. :rolleyes:

Second foal; dam 1m-1m6f winner (inc triple Listed; RPR 109), half-sister to Listed-placed 1m2f winner Ezalli out of unraced sister to 1m2f-1m4f Listed winner Ebaziya (dam of Group 1 winners Enzeli, Edabiya, Ebadiyla and Estimate)

Bred; placed and raced throughout her short career as a horse who needs a proper test. :rolleyes:

a test as in distance..not course type :rolleyes:

two different things :rolleyes:

having a good bet on it are you?

Last edited:
Eagle Top fan club checking in too. 8/1 is far too big but I do wonder whether he will really shorten given you have two very sexy popular horses heading the betting (inc. a favoured stablemate), a Ballydoyle top class horse and a Fabre yack (who arguably is himself overpriced).

DO
The present card shows OR's at entry, many which have changed since.
Yes, that looks right. In the Juddmonte entries he’s on 123. I’ve never noticed that before.

RPR's show Taghrooda just 5lbs from the top, but there's more than ratings, or form, to her current momentum in the market. 3yo Fillies are unusual enough in the race, but she was entered against a much stronger field than she'll likely face now
What’s missing? Wouldn’t she have been entered regardless? Aren’t most Oaks winners entered regardless of whatever else is entered [and, as you say, withdrawn]?

the Hamdan operation know a top class filly when they have one, and (again on Saturday) she's been sparkling on the gallops; likely against some very useful types known to be in her stable.

First bit I agree with (Salsabil etc), but how sure can you be about her gallops form and companions? Surely if she was as good as you are suggesting Gosden would have advised owners of Eagle Top against supplementing him? I’d interpret Eagle Top’s inclusion as a big negative for Taghrooda (and Romsdal).

Nobody knows how good she is, the portents, however, suggest she's a good deal better than you rate her.

I’d like to think she can improve upon her Epsom run and I’ll be delighted if she ultimately proves better than my figure (since I don’t like seeing the top races won by horses I can’t give high ratings to).

Edited to add.
She'll probably be a deal better anyway over a stiff 12f, which would also explain Mukhadram's participation (to Wm Haggas's chagrin, so it would seem).

I suspect you may be right but I’m interested to read EC1’s differing views on the matter. I’m inclined to think the Oaks fell into her lap. What has Haggas said privately or publicly to make you think he is not happy that his horse is running, or even that it is running? I just presumed he’d be entered because it’s one of the biggest races and they need to see what they’d be up against but were always planning to keep him for something more suitable. I’ll be surprised if he runs.

Like I said, I haven’t done the figures in detail yet. I’ll be doing that on Thursday (at least that’s the plan) but King George winners tend to hit at least 125 (123+ for fillies) and Taghrooda looks some way off that. However, only Telescope is anywhere near close to that, hence my suggestion that he might win by default: nothing else looks anywhere near Group 1 class and I have reservations about the Hardwicke form (which might bring Taghrooda back on to my radar).

I apologise for my ramblings. I’m bored. I really should be keeping my counsel until I’ve gone through the form in detail.

Last edited:
nice post DO

just a word re gallops reports...unreliable in the main imo = info for lazy punters

i used to read the gallops bit of the handicap book back in the 80's..followed the info for a season...found it worthless re making money..thought it would be useful..it wasn't

I just heard they have supplemented Eagle To for a massive 75,000 pounds and betting seems to have been suspended???????????

Be interesting to see how they bet now

If Taghrooda beats eagle top..can you imagine explaining to someone that you have let spend 75 large in putting one up against it:whistle:

if tagroohda was a wonder filly then i just don't see Eagle Top being there..owner of ET will have all the stable info on who is best at home..so you would only be lashing that money out if you know your horse is best in the stable

nice post DO

just a word re gallops reports...unreliable in the main imo = info for lazy punters

i used to read the gallops bit of the handicap book back in the 80's..followed the info for a season...found it worthless re making money..thought it would be useful..it wasn't

Yep, agree. It's a page I just don't even look at in the Weekender but maybe Reet knows someone with better info?

I had some items published in the Handicap Book back in the day :lol:

its clear to me that taghrooda is a shot in the dark..and ET is the serious challenger

if taghrooda is "burning up the gallops"..why shell out 75k against her?..it makes no sense

she will probably also.."look a picture in the paddock"..another old adage

EC
Don't know whether I'll even have a bet yet; depends on the field, ground, and likely pace on the day. Just think all the signs are it's wrong to dismiss the Gosden fill lightly.
Thanks for the interest, though. :)

DO
Eagle Top has only to finish first 3 for a quick return on the investment. It's the only 12f gp1 around for a while, and could add significantly to his stud value. JG is also probably aware of the paucity of real opposition - his filly apart.
Can't find it now, but read an Haggas interview over the weekend that suggested he was bemused by the decision to definitely run Mukhadram.

DO
Eagle Top has only to finish first 3 for a quick return on the investment. It's the only 12f gp1 around for a while, and could add significantly to his stud value. JG is also probably aware of the paucity of real opposition - his filly apart.
Can't find it now, but read an Haggas interview over the weekend that suggested he was bemused by the decision to definitely run Mukhadram.
Fair comments. Wouldn't the decision to run Mukhadram be the result of a study of the runners by the Hamdan camp? I'd guess - and it is no more than a guess - that they do not feel confident at all about Taghrooda being good enough and think Mukhadram might have a better chance even with the obvious doubts about his stamina?

Back