King's Stand Stakes

I think he would have won by further if the jockey had really gone for him. He wasn't in a great position throughout.

It depends on whether you ran on dirt or turf. The Aussies won't send their top 12f horses up here as they'd probably get beat and I doubt that Jim Bolger would send Sea The Stars to the Cox Plate for the same reason.

The delight is that the best horse on the day won - if the best horse came from Japan or Timbucktoo I'd be just as pleased. I couldn't take any pleasure watching Fleeting Spirit win the Kings Stand knowing she wasn't the best horse in the race nor watching a horse such as Equiano, Borderlescott winning Group 1 races and being proclaimed the best sprinter in the land when there's about 4 or 5 that are better in Australia.

Racing should be about the best taking on the best - if that means we have to pay air fare's to get them to Ascot or accomodation then so be it and if it means a horse from Australia hacks up in the sprints or a Japanese horses takes the Gold Cup then I'd be all for that too.

The best races in the world IMHO are those were the best race the best - the Japan Cup, the Arc, the Breeders Cup races and it's what all racing should be about not just an unexposed 3yo winning a 0-60 at Southwell or a nice horse of Stoutes winning a Group 1 at a mile.

The best races in the world IMHO are those were the best race the best - the Japan Cup, the Arc, the Breeders Cup races and it's what all racing should be about not just an unexposed 3yo winning a 0-60 at Southwell or a nice horse of Stoutes winning a Group 1 at a mile.

And Ascot and The Curragh....

I agree I loved when the internationals all clash, but there are plenty who will go ott or fancy another horse simply because it is a foreign based animal.

And Ascot and The Curragh....

I agree I loved when the internationals all clash, but there are plenty who will go ott or fancy another horse simply because it is a foreign based animal.
Indeed - Ascot and The Curragh too, but outside of the big meeting in June Ascot rarely attracts any runners from overseas and the same with The Curragh.

There's a few who will go OTT but equally there's plenty who will write them off (one example in the last today) on the basis of some kind of "we're better than them" attitude. The filly tommorow was 16's prior to the 17:30 today now she's as short as 9's - a more realistic price considering what she's actually done but nothing's really changed, her form is still the same, same trainer (who's very good with 2yos), same top jockey that wasn't available prior to the 17:30 tonight.

From what I have read its all systems go to the Newmarket July Cup next month, so no start on Saturday in the Golden Jubilee.

The horse would be probably in the top five sprinters in Australia. Taking into account he did win the Group 1 Lightning Stakes over the 5f at Flemington down the straight in February, followed by a 3rd placing in the Group 1 Oakleigh Plate over 5 1/2f at Caulfield, then gave his almighty best in the Newmarket Handicap winning that race over 6f in late March. If he happens to win the Group 1 July Cup then he'd be the pick for Australian Horse of the Year for 2008/2009.

Though Takeover Target is the outright favourite for that award, having won the Group 1 Adelaide Goodwood over 6f and the Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes.

Scenic Blast would have won easier if the jockey had delayed his challenge for another furlong, which he usually does in Australia. He went early today had the race won easily before tiring a little. Value for more I reckon.

Spot on UG, exactly how I saw it. He was racing down an unfavoured strip of ground all the way too.

Back