Knocking

LUKE

Senior Jockey
Irishracing.com reports that some punters at Listowel on Saturday were left high and dry when a bookie did a runner.

I know that a few lads went down to land a punt on Friday. Horse was 40s, lads looked for 50ew to test the water with one bookie, took none of it and cut it to 8s straight away. Horse went from 25s op show to 9/2 in a matter of minutes with not many bets being placed. They had been warned on the way down not to punt with a certain layer as he would be paying by rubber cheque..

I know that a few lads went down to land a punt on Friday. Horse was 40s, lads looked for 50ew to test the water with one bookie, took none of it and cut it to 8s straight away. Horse went from 25s op show to 9/2 in a matter of minutes with not many bets being placed. They had been warned on the way down not to punt with a certain layer as he would be paying by rubber cheque..

Obvioulsy clueless on how to get money on. I take it the horse was a reserve that came into a race?

Last edited:
Obvioulsy clueless on how to get money on. I take it the horse was a reserve that came into a race?

They got the guts of 12k on off track each way at all sorts of prices and had tried to have more on the track at the same time.They know well how to get money on, they were down at the course to watch it run and naturally wanted some of the prices on course too.My point was that there is very little money in the ring at meetings any more and one bad meeting could leave satchels running very dry near the end of the day. Your right about the horse, it went from bad to worse at the start. Far from happy with the starter, who opened the gates when the horse was ducking under them and the jockey shouting NO NO NO.Horse bad got badly cut on his nose and came back badly lame apparently.

I find it shocking that more than a few people knew that this bookie was in trouble, that he had previous and should be avoided.

If I was one of the punters who had been stung I would be feeling badly let down. Do the ring inspectors have the power to intervene on the spot and ask a bookie to show they are carrying sufficient resources to meet liabilities?

There was plenty of money in the ring and some of the layers could have had close to 6 figure loses on the week. There are big layers on course and the ring and these Mickey Mouse layers are doing no favours to attracting punters back into the ring. Stories of Dixie going top of the market and leaving his pitch are not new.

Back