Last minute Cheltenham withdrawals thread

Not on a couple of the withdrawals, but ive had a rotten 48 hours.

In terms of ante post punting, we all know the risk. Is it worth it? Or is this just an usually bad year for it?
This last couple of days has been brutal. Seems more not going then ever before.

Even the handicaps are shite, all the main fancies have been fucked off. Fred in particular was a real tough pill to swallow.

It is quite sad isn't it! I remember arriving at Cheltenham last year, first time I had actually been on a Wednesday and I had intentionally bought tickets just to see the QMCC, with all the build up being Chacun vs Altior vs Defi, then arriving at the course to the news the former weren't running, was pretty rough.

It's a real shame that the likes of Thyme Hill, Energumene, et al are out, especially as they would have added so much to the races that they are now absent from.

Last edited:
My ante-post log is littered with non-runners but I was going in quite lightly immediately after last year's festival for this year while/because the odds were long.

Topofthegame was a sore one as I went in slightly heavier for the Gold Cup (after last year's race) and double the amount for the Ladbroke at less than half the price.

I kept things light, apart from going in very heavily on Zanahiyr (5/1) for the Triumph after doing some calcs on his win early in December. That bet was twice as heavy as the one on Secret Reprieve (7/1) in the Welsh National a few days later. after that I went light again until NRNBs started kicking in.

Every year I keep saying 'not until NRNB' but sometimes you have to bet with your instincts.

Right now I haven't worked out if my A/P log will put me in the black but I suspect the festival one is quite healthy. I did lose a fair bit on trying to steal some value punts in the Betfair. I ended up backing seven at anything from 25s up to 60 (exchange) ahead of the original race and added Sky Pirate and Faivoir at double-figure odds when I saw they were 5lbs well in.

I have an awful lot of non-runners in my log but at least most of them won't hurt, thanks to the NRNB concession.

I'll probably take a similar approach next season, in terms of getting on at long odds immediately after this year's festival but then easing off until NRNB.

I need to learn from my sore Betfair lesson, though.

Swings and roundabouts really, I don't think I have ever had as strong an Ante Post book, but have to date being the right side of all the big deflections, of course it doesn't guarantee anything but as it stands I have the so called 'value' . But I have been on the other side many a year. If it was easy everyone would be doing it!

I think the one rule I learnt the hard way was to never build an antepost book around one or two selections no matter how strong you are on the selection, it's far too volatile, spread the risk!

I think Saint sonnet could be a NR in coral cup.i was just looking at it on the coral hcap and it went to bottom of page with no price.
I was just about to lump on.

Exchanges apparently indicating Allaho may not be declared for Ryanair ??

Don't shoot the messenger :lol:

Soldier of Love NR in NH Chase

That give me the singles on the other two longshots at the bigger price for The Wolf :lol:

I noticed yesterday afternoon that a lot of the longer priced horses lengthened again (eg My Sister Sarah out to 66/1) so I won't be going in early again on them unless there's evidence of a positive move.

Back