Led Zeppelin

EC1

On a break
I've been a massive Zep fan since 1969 and hope all goes well tonight.

I don't know if I have any fellow Zep supporters here

I saw them in 1973..cop for the price on the ticket

Zeppelin1973stub.jpg

I didn't even try for a ticket at tonights concert because I've seen them in their heyday and didn't want to risk seeing a bad show to tarnish my memories.

I hope it works out

Any fans out there?

Never been a big fan, but I can imagine seeing them at around their peak in what must have been a relatively small venue (compared to the stadiums they were playing at the time) must have been some gig?

Best thing about that ticket: no mention of a booking fee. :angy:

no, there was no booking fee in those days Gareth.

yes..it was an awesome gig...Plant had a cold though...which was a bit of a downer.

Me and my mate at that time saw many bands at the City Hall in Sheffield. You just went into Sheffiled to a Music Shop callled Wilson Peck, downstairs they sold all the tickets for the City Hall....simple as.

Other times both of us went without tickets..and waited for a hopeful "bring back".

I remember us going to see Pink Floyd, neither of us had tickets, 10 minutes before doors closed one guy brought a ticket back..I let my mate mate have it...thought I had blown it...then just before the doors closed someone else brought a ticket back. It's hard to believe that people actually took tickets back to the ticket box...but they did.

Different days...great memories from the 1971-1973 period

now if I could turn the clock back...those would be the years :nuts:

first reports look promising

Fans have been speculating on the Led Zeppelin official forum on what songs the band will be playing.

A user, purporting to have been at the soundcheck, posted four songs that he thought he could hear the group playing.

They wrote : "A short while ago the following numbers were performed at the start of the sound check : 'Good Times/Bad Times', 'Ramble On', 'In My Time Of Dying', 'No Quarter' and 'Nobody's Fault But Mine'.

"Various invitees have been allowed in to watch and listen. This was reported to me less than half an hour ago by an invitee. Sound and performance was totally amazing. Page was on fire. Completely awe inspiring!!"

wish I was there now :(

Was listening to 2FM this morning and someone going to the gig said they would be playing stairway to heaven.

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Dec 10 2007, 09:23 PM
They were sh*te 20 years ago. I can't see them being better after all this time.
I could never see what all the fuss was about either Mo

lol...thats very naive for you Euro

i'd search the Steve Hoffman forums for a thread on this subject..massive thread on it..in fact most anti Zep fans wheel this out regularly..as if its a practice no one else has ever done

did you not know any of that stuff before now Euro?

no other band has ever borrowed from any other..except Zep of course;)

i love how such as You Need Love sounds exactly like Whole Lotta Love..not:whistle:

The Dazed and Confused one is pretty naugthy..but again..which version sounds the best?..Page should have credited him...he will have to pay him

Jeff Beck openly pinched loads of blues stuff..his attitude is same as most other bands from that era..everyone did it..and everyone has done it since.

Have you not seen the Verve ..bitter sweet symphony ...stuff re Jagger & Richards?..they copied..identicaly ...from Andrew Oldhams version of The Last Time..note for note.

Got their greatest hits for Christmas 3 years ago and it remains unopened.I must give it a blast over the holidays-I know very little about the band to be honest.

Shocking stuff.

Led Zep are no better than Westlife.

:whistle:

whats shocking is that you "young" music experts didn't know about it before now;)

when Led Zep 2 came out everyone knew the lyrics of Whole Lotta Love were similar to You Need Love

The Small Faces bought out a "version" of You Need Love in about 1966..and as with all bands at that time claimed they had written it..they never got sued though..as there wasn't enough money involved ..hundreds of bands could have been sued through the years if they had enough money to make it worthwhile

Bob Dylan and many others stole lots of stuff...so did a lot of Jazzers

The main thing is that stuff is improved upon..and those songs Zep have done don't sound much like the originals..of which most sound dire

Last edited:
The main thing is that stuff is improved upon..and those songs Zep have done don't sound much like the originals..of which most sound dire

Whether or not improvements were made on the originals is irrelevant surely? At least they started writing their own stuff later on. Maybe.

whats shocking is that you "young" music experts didn't know about it before now;)

when Led Zep 2 came out everyone knew the lyrics of Whole Lotta Love were similar to You Need Love

The Small Faces bought out a "version" of You Need Love in about 1966..and as with all bands at that time claimed they had written it..they never got sued though..as there wasn't enough money involved ..hundreds of bands could have been sued through the years if they had enough money to make it worthwhile

Bob Dylan and many others stole lots of stuff...so did a lot of Jazzers

Fish in a barrel

:lol::lol::lol:

Whether or not improvements were made on the originals is irrelevant surely? At least they started writing their own stuff later on. Maybe.

Jimmy Page hasn't done the right thing by Jake re Daxed & Confused..but he will have to pay eventually i think...they had to pay re WLL

Part of Page's problem with Led Zep 1 in particular was that he threw the album together pretty quickly to carry on the New Yardbirds commitments and basically just did what his mate Beck and many others had done..he should have credited people where it was due..but like Small Faces..probably didn't expect to be sued ..same as they didn't..he didn't know then what a cash machine Zep was going to be. If Small Faces themselves hadn't been ripped off so much by their managementi think they would have been sued as well.

Led Zep 2 was also knocked out quickly whilst they did US tours in 69..its no excuse like but that was the way back then with many artists.

JP has always loved his dollar......Cream used many blues tracks themselves when they started out but always credited the original artist...Page should have done what they did...he didn't..so has and will have to pay re D&C.

The only reason why Zep are targetted so much is sour grapes & jealousy tbh...so even though most of the bits they pinched are from poorish songs..those people that have got paid got many more £'s than they would if Zep hadn't existed..Jake's version of D&C would have made him fook all..if he had sued Zep after CD's came out he would have hit major pay dirt for a dire dismal record

Last edited:
:lol::lol::lol:

I can feel the love, EC1.

:lol:

so you should;)

but i don't condone some of what tight ass Pagey has done..pay the people ..its not like they can't afford it

the main mystery is why Jake Holmes never sued.. it was a no brainer..there is talk now i think that he was going to sue..he will win it easily ifthat is in the process of happening

so you should;)

but i don't condone some of what tight ass Pagey has done..pay the people ..its not like they can't afford it

the main mystery is why Jake Holmes never sued.. it was a no brainer..there is talk now i think that he was going to sue..he will win it easily ifthat is in the process of happening

Enough!

:lol::lol:

My other half (when very young) was hit upon big time by jimmy Page, whilst she was with a previous too. She was not impressed....

Last edited:
My other half (when very young) was hit upon big time by jimmy Page, whilst she was with a previous too. She was not impressed....

Nearly all the ladies who ever encountered him in his youth still say he was the most gorgeous male they knew. He was always surrounded by many nubile wenches. But he liked the ones who tried to get away and would pursue those! ;)

As for the 'borrowing' of bits and pieces from other songs .... I heard they had paid now. It's not a great thing, but then plenty of people were doing it in those days. It does not excuse not giving credit and money where due but many of those songs, riffs, lyrics etc would never have become well known had LZ and others not remade the songs. I know for my part, as a teenager in middle America I'd never of made the effort to go see some of the bluesmen or bought their records had Keith Richards not stolen some of their riffs and Robert Plant gone on about his 'lemon'!

Back