Leopardstown Gallops

Quevaga's gallop only encouraged me to back Voler. I didn't think she moved that well through the gallop. These three or four runner gallops are a bit of a joke really as the front two clearly pulled up in the straight to let Quevaga come upsides. If they kept going I wonder if Ruby would have pushed the button on Quevaga. You just don't get the Skys The Limit type gallop where ten go out together from different yards. Was impressed by Sports Line jumping nd For Paddy in general. I didn't see Mikael but I think it would be a mistake to give up their novice chase status this late in the season. Running against seasoned horses with only one or two runs over fences is really tough.....no matter how good he is. But I suppose, if they are going to do it then the grade 1s are worth going for as if he wins them, he can step up and if he doesn't he's still a novice for next season. A definite place lay if he goes to Cheltenham, as is the bumper winner who was given a very soft lead.

Quevega impressed me.

She would beat VlV by 10 lengths plus if in top form.

I can't believe Quevega is odds against.

I find it hard to be either impressed or not with Quevega's gallop. To me she is a mare with a short enough time frame for getting her right as she has plenty of attitude and probably does not take that much racing or work. I would think she is the type of mare that you get a lot of work into quickly over a short period rather than one that you have fit and on the go for a long time.

I wouldn't back any horse going to Cheltenham first time out - but if she is at her best I think she is comfortably better than Colm Murphy's mare who in turn is a long way clear of the others.

I'd agree with you, Cantoris, about QUEVEGA. She has an odd, scrabbly little stride and seemed occasionally to lose even that rhythm as she presumably hit the odd bit of lumpy ground. She didn't look relaxed and is it just me, or did she look a wee bit tubsy?

Back