Leopardstown Sunday

Ground must be nearing good if this weather holds up.

Lovely weather most of the week in Meath (blowing a gale most days but very little rain). Was in Dublin today and, despite menacing skies, very little in the way of rain when I was there.

Can't wait to see Chintz and I'll wade into this pretty large, looks a great card.

Interesting card in store tomorrow.

Unless alot of rain arrives the ground should be genuinely good tomorrow which is not that common at this time of year.

Roman Empress steps out in the opening maiden. Well touted over the winter she appears to be one of the better Ballydoyle prospects for the Oaks and she should certainly appreciate this sort of trip though probably wouldnt want the ground to dry out too much. Interesting to note that Ballydoyle have introduced future Group1 mares on this card in the shape of Moonstone, All My Loving as well as the likes of Virginia Waters and Halfwaytoheaven in the Guineas trial so O'Brien is not afraid to get these good fillys out early. Roses For The Lady should be able to build on a couple of decent efforts last season though she is from a family that can be tricky to train. Wachman introduced the regally bred Love Bird who is by Pivotal and out of My Emma...also owned by Magnier. Bolger introduced a Green Desert filly while Weld has a half sister to Casual Conquest in there and she made a pleasing enough debut at Leopardstown towards the end of the season.

The 2000 Guineas trial has Intense Focus back...but for a horse that thrived on racing last year might he need this run? I think his stablemate Vocalised is really interesting (assuming he is not there to make the pace). Fourth to Sea The Stars on his debut he then beat a decent (just decent) field next time out....but that was on easy ground and he is an American bred animal who should relish this drying ground. Think he could run a big race as he was well touted previous to his debut. Surprised Murtagh is on Hail Caesar, if he is going to be anything he will be a Derby/staying horse and could see him get completely outpaced in this. I think of the Ballydoyle horses Born To Be King will be the best in these conditions, though I have serious reservations about his attitude, as the trip will suit as will the ground. You can be sure both Recharge and Liebermann will be very fit for this and Recharge in particular could go well. A nice race....Intense Focus at his best should win, but he has to give weight away and is likely to need this. Born To Be King is interesting but I will be looking out for any morning support for Vocalised.

1000 Guineas trial looks even more competitive....Heart Shaped is favourite in the RP and probably will be on the day. While she did appear a little unlucky in America, I thought that was a pretty poor race and probably not much better form than a Group 2/3 race if that. She should relish the ground and we know she should get this 7 furlongs well but just not convinced by her just yet. Chintz is a lovely big filly but not sure she will want this ground to dry out too much....definitely likes an ease in the ground but I do not think her form is far off Heart Shaped. Wachman also runs Whats Up Pussycat....a tough and experienced two year old from last year. She is the type that could be very fit/streetwise first time of asking and could catch a few of these on the hop. The two really interesting ones though are Dance Pass and Maoineach. Maoineach looked very good first time out only to bomb out in the Boussac but the fact she was asked to run in it shows how highly regarded she is while Dance Pass ran a lovely race behind Again in a Curragh maiden and its interesting that Weld brings her straight into stakes company rather than a maiden.

The final race on the card is a 1m2f maiden which nearly always throws up a useful colt. I think Rockhampton will win this, lovely debut last year only to disappoint here on his second run. Reported to have done well over the winter he should be hard to beat. Others to consider include Smart Miler who made a nice debut on his only start last year...Barrell Of Fun who chased home Fame And Glory in fourth at Navan and Pittoni who is the Oxx/Lady Clague newcomer.

Throw in a few handicaps and this far surpassed The Curragh's opening day last Sunday.

Should be an informative card, albeit a very tricky one from a punting perspective.

Not sure I'd be too worried about Intense Focus needing the run. He certainly thrived on his racing last year, but at the same time he was a pretty sharp sort from an early enough stage.

Chintz would be my idea of the winner, and although there was little liquidity in the market she'd displaced Heart Shaped when I last checked. She's one of the few fillies who broke the 100 barrier last year for me, and horses can't really do that by accident.

Not to be missed, info gathered here today will be invaluable for the rest of the Season ( as with the Derby trial )!!!

Chintz is fancied alright, but I'd just be worried that the combination of the trip and ground might just catch her out today.

Intense Focus is a MASSIVE lay today at less than evens...can't believe people back at these odds on a horse with at least 3 negatives that I can find...fill yer laying boots ..xmas comes again:ninja:

What are the three negatives, EC1?

Both of Tony Martin's runners in the 1m2f handicap look to be on very interesting marks.

I'll dutch the O'Brien pair.

Born to be King to nick it from the front or Hail Caeser to benefit from the strong pace and be staying on.

tell you what..

looking at the 4.35 at Newton Abbot..surely the fav Valley Ride is worth laying at 1.9?????

...needs a good test of stamina and this looks like being a bit tactical..got to be worth laying for £3 I reckon.

I've layed Chintz an all in the 4.05...2.86?????..bloody way too short...might risk a tenner

Last edited:
been looking at that hunter chase an all...5.00 Kelso

surely they are having a laugh...Robbers Glen @ 1.82 :whistle:

its giving weight on ground it don't want..it needs a bit of give..stratford run were officially good ..but rained beforehand...won't like the ground...got to be a lay

I'll get some tea in a bit:lol:..keep spotting these obvious lays though

nice result:cool:...spotted another one now :p

layed rockhampton in the last...Murtagh way below par at the mo..add to that the guesswork about the horse's requirements makes the 6/4 on offer look a joke to me:confused:

Back